Random Glasto 2022 Observations

kalifire

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

Love it. Our first was born two days ago (gave up our tickets this year, obviously - wasn't easy though). So she'll have her birthday at Glastonbury every year.

I am thinking we'll be there with her next year. Start 'em young. 

I definitely think that taking kids to 2 or 3 festivals every year from a very young age shapes them as they grow up.

They are such great environments to explore with so much for them to do. I'd heartily recommend Green Man, it has loads for kids plus it's obviously a lot easier to navigate around than Glastonbury especially if you need emergency trips back to the tent for nappies or wet wipes!

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Standing next to Emily at Diana! Quite far back tbh - thought she of all peeps would have got closer...

Presumably at the back in case she actually has to do something and move quickly to address something festival related?

I imagine it wasn't a good time to ask her who next years headliners were? 

All too much for me. An excessive amount of humans acting excessively. If I came back, and not sure I'll be rushing back, it will be with mates and not with the family so we can act like some debaucherous stag do like everyone else seems to be.

One thing that got me was John Harris compering Chris Packham and two asd women (can't remember their names) talking about autism, found it very profound and emotional and had to put my sunglasses on as I was crying.

Best act for me was Dry Cleaning because I'm a bit of a fanboy and I was right near the front and they did not disappoint (although her mic could have been louder).

1 hour ago, willgooneday said:

Presumably at the back in case she actually has to do something and move quickly to address something festival related?

I imagine it wasn't a good time to ask her who next years headliners were? 

I didnt bother her cos it was clearly some 'me' downtime with her husband, kids and friends there as well.

8 hours ago, benali said:

I definitely think that taking kids to 2 or 3 festivals every year from a very young age shapes them as they grow up.

They are such great environments to explore with so much for them to do. I'd heartily recommend Green Man, it has loads for kids plus it's obviously a lot easier to navigate around than Glastonbury especially if you need emergency trips back to the tent for nappies or wet wipes!

Agreed, or EOTR. Nice and chill and nicely sized, but plenty of scope to party a bit too. I've been to GM three or four times and love it. A couple of friends of friends were there last year with one or two under 6 months and seemed to have no problems. Might have to try that myself!

Glad to see others with the same mentality. All the best to you!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, steviewevie said:

All too much for me. An excessive amount of humans acting excessively. If I came back, and not sure I'll be rushing back, it will be with mates and not with the family so we can act like some debaucherous stag do like everyone else seems to be.

One thing that got me was John Harris compering Chris Packham and two asd women (can't remember their names) talking about autism, found it very profound and emotional and had to put my sunglasses on as I was crying.

Best act for me was Dry Cleaning because I'm a bit of a fanboy and I was right near the front and they did not disappoint (although her mic could have been louder).

Loved their set on the TV!

Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as you'd hoped overall. Still jealous!

On 6/26/2022 at 7:53 AM, willgooneday said:

I'd love to see a big event have the balls to ban mobiles. Unfortunately unenforceable. It also probably means more people are there so it looks good on influencer pages than for the music.

This was an issue before COVID but it's one of the saddest things about gigs these days. I'd love to see a big artist tell everyone to put their phones in their pockets 

I say each to their own, if I want to snap a few pictures or record a little bit of video for my memories then that's my business thanks very much, was also recording a bit this year to show my kids as gonna be taking them for the first time next year if I get a ticket and wanted to show them what I was experiencing, sorry If the few seconds of video or couple of pictures I snap of a set ruins your festival. 😂😂

On 6/24/2022 at 2:37 AM, Matt42 said:

Silver hayes has improved a lot. The new WOW is something straight out of houghton/gottwood and lonley hearts club is a welcome addition. Sherelle there was fantastic vibes.

Agreed on all this - Sherelle on LHC was fucking awesome. 

Coming out of Gate C last night at around half 11 I saw security being very heavy handed. The guy got thrown about and ended up being slammed into the green fence. More worryingly the guy that was being thrown about had hi-vis jacket and trousers on, but was absolutely out of his tree. Assume it was a fellow member of security staff. Not what I wanted to see just as I was leaving. Don’t quite know what happened but im sure there was a better way to handle that.

On 6/26/2022 at 7:59 AM, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Don't really see an issue with it and to me it's barely noticeable, especially at something like Glasto with flag w*nkers everywhere

Personally I take a photo of every set I'm at while I'm here, maybe if I did it with a big bulky DSLR it would annoy people less for an inexplicable reason?

Anyway - Mitski last night was absolutely phenomenal. The fact that Phoebe Bridgers is being lauded so much when someone like Mitski was on in absolutely insane to me. Phoebe's gig was a bit of a snooze fest, felt like I'd been hit full force at Mitski, on a different level. 

I just find it hilarious that you've made 4 unprompted posts coating off Phoebe Bridgers. So you didn't dig it and others did, get over yourself 

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2022 at 6:46 PM, Andy0808 v5 said:

Had no signal all week, my phones come to life today (when it’s busiest which doesn’t make much sense! 

I’ve seen barely any and haven’t heard much of the balloon and nos canister w*nkers 

Signal was atrocious all week for me. It got marginally better when I switched from 4G to 3G but not all newer phones can do that. It was absolutely fine in prior years. Any idea what happened? Quite a big issue if messages aren't sending!

16 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Signal was atrocious all week for me. It got marginally better when I switched from 4G to 3G but not all newer phones can do that. It was absolutely fine in prior years. Any idea what happened? Quite a big issue if messages aren't sending!

I finally got a bit of signal on Sunday, but not for long. Kept having messages send really late. 

21 minutes ago, LoraMaze said:

I finally got a bit of signal on Sunday, but not for long. Kept having messages send really late. 

Yeah! It's an easy one for people to say we shouldn't need signal and enjoy it in the moment etc. but not being able to send/receive messages or calls is really problematic 

Without repeating what everyone else has said thought easier to summarise my experience (second time goer).

Three Good

1. Macca - Managed to get a spot behind the second set of barriers. Security couldn't have been nicer and a genuinely life changing gig for me.

2. Yard Act WG - Everything from the performance, the friendliness of the crowd and the tightness of the set. 10/10.

3. Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbot - First time in the acoustic tent and thought they were absolutely outstanding. Got a cracking spec a couple from the front and despite being one of the youngest there felt like everyone was just up for it. Did not feel intimidating despite the business.

Three Bad 

1. Wet Leg - Absolutely chocker with deckchairs and somebody trying to lift a Chaise Lounge. Shouldn't have bothered.

2. The toilet situation. Genuinely ended up sprinting a couple of times just to find somewhere without a twenty minute queue. Absolutely insane.

3. General level of agg - At one point I heard one lad threatening to stab another one over money for gear. This was the cherry on the cake for what seemed to be quite a large level of needle, unsure if gear related but did feel weirdly dicey.

Was Mel C’s William’s Green set a DJ set or live?

I feel bad saying this as I know they are volunteers but some of the stewards were less than helpful this year. Saw one asleep on the corner near the cider bus/Pyramid Stage on Saturday morning. Only woken up by the beep of the milk truck!

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

friend of mine had problems, mine was fine all w/e. its days like that when i remember why i chose to sign up with orange all those years ago.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:13 PM, rivalschools.price said:

Michael Eavis said in an interview a few years ago that the Sunday day ticketers are offset by the amount of people who go home early on Sunday.

Seems hard to believe but Im sure he knows better than me.

Obviously don't know the figures, but I've worked Ped gates on Sunday before and a hell of a lot do go home early on Sunday