Random Glasto 2022 Observations

kalifire

12 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Was Mel C’s William’s Green set a DJ set or live?

I feel bad saying this as I know they are volunteers but some of the stewards were less than helpful this year. Saw one asleep on the corner near the cider bus/Pyramid Stage on Saturday morning. Only woken up by the beep of the milk truck!

DJ set. Can’t say I’m a fan of her but her set was absolutely brilliant!

42 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Yeah! It's an easy one for people to say we shouldn't need signal and enjoy it in the moment etc. but not being able to send/receive messages or calls is really problematic 

I didn’t miss social media at all, but I’m lucky I didn’t need to get hold of anyone urgently 

Agree with the signal... but this worked for me as I'm terribly drawn in by social media and couldn't access so much as a text message all weekend so I was really off grid - throughly enjoyed it.

We saw Emily walking from theatre and circus towards Diana Ross. Also saw Andy (dinosaur adventures cbeebies) at Diana Ross. Saw Lekkido the lobster King twice...both times he sent me a pinchy pinchy kiss kiss when I snapped my claws at him!

On the topic of it seeming a bit more aggressive this year...my husband was coming to meet me after we split to watch something and a man looking very frightened and covered in cuts and blood sprinted full pelt towards him, ran past and then lamped out a complete stranger. Security nowhere to be seen and some other people ran off to get help, shouting for them as the stewards basically backed away. The guy then ran into a fence over and over again until security arrived. Husband was really freaked out by it all - probably someone in a very bad condition from some nasty drugs I guess.

Was there less compost toilets this year? It certainly felt like in the campsites. Is it really difficult to double the amount available? I know it raises issues with logistics and cleaning them but it's something so simple that would improve so much.

1 hour ago, Mark0 said:

The random Pushchair being pushed through the middle of the huge crowd watching Bicep with very young kids clearly not enjoying it who should be in bed 

Must have been stood near by. Not long after a girl walked in with a half eaten doughnut dripping jam everywhere, narrowly missing my jumper and the girl in front's hair.

11 hours ago, robith said:

I just find it hilarious that you've made 4 unprompted posts coating off Phoebe Bridgers. So you didn't dig it and others did, get over yourself 

I enjoyed it, but it's just incredible to see how overblown the praise is.

The music is pretty generic singer songwriter stuff with a nice voice, everything is else is mastery of social media

Caveat to the below whinging is that I had an absolutely incredible time and praying I get tickets for next year but:

- Need a serious re-think re: tickets sold vs space available on-site

- Need to either limit entry on Wed & Thu or get licence to put on more acts on

- Is a larger "3rd Stage" needed? Given all the stories of dangerous overcrowding at various points at WH, TP & WG would it be worth setting up a larger stage to host acts like George Ezra, Jack White, Wet Leg, TLC, Sugababes, Mel C etc that were very well attended but far too big to appear on the existing smaller stages (given the increased tickets sold)?

- Agree on the wood-chipper, definitely rolled both ankles at least 5 times a day. Both are now very sore and swollen at the moment.

- Parents with very, very young children and those push carts blocking up all walkways, particularity late on at popular acts taking up loads of space....is there usually that many?

- Breed a hyper sensitive drug sniffing dog to catch all the coke going into the festival. I'm not a prude at all when it comes to drugs (your body, your choice) but far too many coked-up, belligerent, ignoramus' barging their way through anything and everything in their path. Special shout out to the two lads in the queue for the bar next the Crows Nest who did about 3 bumps in space of 25 mins then passed around the Ket at 8pm on Wednesday night, dread to think of the comedown they are on today. 😬 Tbf this seems to be general society thing at moment as I've noticed it even in my local pubs on a regular Friday night.

Edited by Major_Tom108

21 minutes ago, Major_Tom108 said:

this seems to be general society thing at moment as I've noticed it even in my local pubs on a regular Friday night.

That's it.  Coke and Ket had been more noticeable at Glastonbury in recent years, not my place to judge but I'm not a fan.  

Coke in particular has exploded in this country in the last 10 to 15 years.  It was a niche thing in the 90s, too expensive for working class kids when speed was cheap and MDMA dominated for a good number of years.  These days everyone from the factory floor to the teachers lounge is doing beak.  Personally I'll stick to my weed, it's not for me.

12 hours ago, Larraht said:

On the topic of it seeming a bit more aggressive this year...my husband was coming to meet me after we split to watch something and a man looking very frightened and covered in cuts and blood sprinted full pelt towards him, ran past and then lamped out a complete stranger. Security nowhere to be seen and some other people ran off to get help, shouting for them as the stewards basically backed away. The guy then ran into a fence over and over again until security arrived. Husband was really freaked out by it all - probably someone in a very bad condition from some nasty drugs I guess.

Was this at the Park during Wet Leg and Confidence Man? I was in the crowd but my missus said a guy was trying to run into the gate constantly and was getting aggro with passers by. Apparently on a bad acid trip, had to be held down by security for about two hours before being carried away kicking and screaming. Poor bloke looked terrified.

6 minutes ago, Brumbot said:

Was this at the Park during Wet Leg and Confidence Man? I was in the crowd but my missus said a guy was trying to run into the gate constantly and was getting aggro with passers by. Apparently on a bad acid trip, had to be held down by security for about two hours before being carried away kicking and screaming. Poor bloke looked terrified.

I think it might of been actually! Husband was heading down from Park to me so that makes sense. Hope the guy is OK now - what a crap end to his festival.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:46 PM, Andy0808 v5 said:

Had no signal all week, my phones come to life today (when it’s busiest which doesn’t make much sense!

Mate and I are both on o2, no signal pretty much anywhere except BB introducing and JP. Really frustrating. Never had it this bad before. 100’s of messages in one go when signal appeared. 

think EE are trying to make us switch 😂 (which given the shit  I’ve had to put up with from O2 in the past fortnight (another story) I might well do

On 6/24/2022 at 7:14 PM, AFJM78 said:

Pete Doherty watching Lekiddo at Summerhouse a bit ago. Proper good lad. 

Haha..yeah, my wife caught him there too and grabbed a photo. Never been much of a PD fan but him liking Lekiddo has made me warm to him a bit more.

Lekiddo was frankly my highlight of the weekend, never seen him before and within 2mins was joining in the dancing...

PinchyPinchyKissKiss 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember the notification/announcement on the screens for somebody to call home immediately before Sam Fender? Pardon me being nosey but what was that about - said at the time it was really eerie to see it so couldn't imagine if it read my name instead of whoever's it was.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:30 PM, Wirral Toffee said:

3. General level of agg - At one point I heard one lad threatening to stab another one over money for gear. This was the cherry on the cake for what seemed to be quite a large level of needle, unsure if gear related but did feel weirdly dicey.

I've been going to Glastonbury since 1985, and with the exception of the dark years (early 90's), I've never seen so many bad attitudes.

I largely blame on a noticeable change in drug use, too much alcohol, cocaine and ketamine, too little cannabis and MDMA. Where were all the smiley, happy people giving off good vibes with positive eye contact?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rgill3 said:

Anyone remember the notification/announcement on the screens for somebody to call home immediately before Sam Fender? Pardon me being nosey but what was that about - said at the time it was really eerie to see it so couldn't imagine if it read my name instead of whoever's it was.

If it's the same one (wasn't at Sam fender) it went out as a notification on the app too

1 hour ago, RossTC said:

O2 signal almost non existent for me all weekend also, but tbh it didnt bother me i found it refreshing most of the time. 

Having a foreign phone plan, I was roaming randomly with Vodafone or EE depending on where I was and the time of day. It worked much better when I was on the EE network.

3 minutes ago, netspy said:

Having a foreign phone plan, I was roaming randomly with Vodafone or EE depending on where I was and the time of day. It worked much better when I was on the EE network.

Same here. My plan picked EE, no issues, but I had to change that a couple of times on OH's phone . Hey a plus of being an international at Glastonbury! 

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2022 at 1:43 AM, Spindles said:

Coke in particular has exploded in this country in the last 10 to 15 years.

only because it's mostly not coke, its filler. and its crap.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

only because it's mostly not coke, its filler. and its crap.

That may explain it.

I very rarely touch the stuff (over 3 years since my last line), but when I do it's more or less pure and costs around £100 a gram.

Thought that was the norm and wondered how people afford it.

Though it may be the case that most of the spoons I saw this year were full of K, not coke.