Random Glasto 2022 Observations

kalifire

It's a amazing how many field closures there have been already. I remember one the last time I went the entire weekend, and we're already upto like 4? 

Everyone wanting to see the same groups, poor placements, not enough big names to even it all out.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

11 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Wet Leg on Other, TLC on Pyramid, Plant & Strauss on West Holts, job done 

TLC Deffo on the pyramid.  It was only the past memories of Lizzo which made me make my mate bring her paella and walk with it, vs sit in williams green.  5 mins either way and wouldn't have made it!

3 hours ago, paulo999 said:

The ill considered Thursday bookings thing isn't new  - someone can help me here - about 8-10 years ago the same mistake was made. A known name act was booked and publicised for Williams Green. Area shutdown.

Not sure who runs Williams Green (it's not one of the "big five" run by GFL).

It was bastille again 😂 

It's really horrible to be reading all this. The exact same things happened at Primavera this year (clearly and visibly oversold, infrastructure that can't handle that amount of people, clashes not being strong enough to divide the capacity effectively) and I know how exhausting and often scary it is.

After what happened in the US recently crowd control stuff should be on the forefront of festivals' minds but it's clearly not this year.

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My daughter is struggling with some of the crowds. We might have to leave early.

Must be hard for her (and you worrying about her), especially after the past two years of social distancing/lockdowns etc. If she/ you need crowd detox, like Megatonicmeatwagon said there are quiet areas- the hill above the tipi's is usually deserted and you can go to strummerville, the peace garden by the stone circle, plus all the green fields and Toad hall etc from there, that's usually where I hang about if the crowds are getting to me.

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

It's really horrible to be reading all this. The exact same things happened at Primavera this year (clearly and visibly oversold, infrastructure that can't handle that amount of people, clashes not being strong enough to divide the capacity effectively) and I know how exhausting and often scary it is.

After what happened in the US recently crowd control stuff should be on the forefront of festivals' minds but it's clearly not this year.

Was saying exactly the same thing in the other thread re Primavera. It does seem like it's maybe going to be a bit of an industry wide issue this year? And after AstroWorld I just don't get that at all.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

My daughter is struggling with some of the crowds. We might have to leave early.

Yeah, I had been planning on taking mini duck in the next year or so, but these crowds would freak her out (my wife too)…will try some smaller ones closer to home and bring her here when she has a few under her belt. 

5 hours ago, Cannedm said:

Hooray, my first Glastonbury bingo card ticked off, the 'last Glastonbury for me' declaration. First of many to be solemnly uttered in here over the weekend.

Personally I agree with you, although I suspect it was busier when I last went in 2000, that year was packed wherever you turned. Biggest number ever imho due to the nonexistent fence. 

I have had the best times of my life here, and was pretty much spent after 2018 and stumbled across tickets for 2019. 

I love this place, but it's started to become, especially this year, tiring and arduous to just move across the site.

Its a probably a mix of things, age etc, but it's definitely moved in a different direction, as have I I guess. I'm heading to healing Fields today, permiculture etc. Hopefully that rejuvenates me. 😁

• Upvote 1

I'm just avoiding any big name acts now to be honest, we have a 5month old and can't risk it

My seemingly terrible music taste is helping though. About 20 people for the start of Sinead o brien yesterday, absolutely criminal. Kikagaku moyo similar this morning (everyone off to see idles I assume, the Coldplay of 2025)

The crowd at at Vincent reminds me of the LCD system other stage headline as well, criminally small crowd, I can only assume those that went to Sam fender don't know what they're missing 

Phoebe bridgers fans also hilarious last night, cheering at absolutely anything, social media insanity for me as the music's just pretty good (obviously all subjective)

6 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I'm just avoiding any big name acts now to be honest, we have a 5month old and can't risk it

My seemingly terrible music taste is helping though. About 20 people for the start of Sinead o brien yesterday, absolutely criminal. Kikagaku moyo similar this morning (everyone off to see idles I assume, the Coldplay of 2025)

The crowd at at Vincent reminds me of the LCD system other stage headline as well, criminally small crowd, I can only assume those that went to Sam fender don't know what they're missing 

Phoebe bridgers fans also hilarious last night, cheering at absolutely anything, social media insanity for me as the music's just pretty good (obviously all subjective)

Jesus and Mary Chain likewise criminally small. Phoebe Bridgers even put in a cameo for a song.

Agree with comments about it being oversold. Think back to my first in 2013 and I guess it has put on something like 30% of its capacity since then. Wet Leg was ridiculous. Got there half an hour early and could only get to the top of the hill from where the sound was basically inaudible so fucked it off one song in.

We have our 8 month old with us and the crowds have been rough with the buggy. Had to alter plans to just reduce movement between stages.

That said, besides that it has been brilliant so far!

9 hours ago, Stanton said:

Been having the same conversation all weekend with my mates. Lost count the number of times i had a wee stumble.

Edit. Mean to quote the woodchip post from earlier. 

My mates and are now calling it ground kindling 🤣🤣

Wrong thread!

Acoustic was too rammed to even contemplate Paul & Jackie so walked via Other past  St Vincent, very small crowd, onto Sonic for Fatboy which was busy as expected, bit of a pichpoint at the back but stewards did fine moving people through, found a spot to left of tent for a couple of tracks dance/hobble with fucked knee.

So yeah, getting stuck in a crowd/pinchpoint can range from uncomfortable to super scary but it can be avoided if you're willing to give up seeing an act you really want to see - for me my own comfort is always more important than seeing an act.

Edited by DirtyLurker
Wrong thread

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Are you me? Exactly my thoughts on all points! Phoebe Bridgers hair moves in the breeze and OMG I WAS CRYING SHE'S INCREDIBLE. 

Did you read the Guardian review of Sam Fender? Absolutely incredible, one of the worst things I've read in my life. 

Edited by majormajormajor

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Spotted a lot of celebs this year.

Stormzy was stood near us for Billie, he was polite but quite clearly didn’t want to be recognised. He had an entourage of security with him.

Also saw Chris Martin and his daughter at Phoebe.

Don't you mean his girlfriend Dakota? Or was Apple them?

Maybe it’s hanging about too much on the John Peel without the chair w*nkers and slack jawed gawkers but there is a real appreciation to every artist from the crowd there to see them that I haven’t experienced before.  Everyone so far I’ve seen has ended up with a lot of loud cheering and appreciation from the audience. 

3 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Maybe it’s hanging about too much on the John Peel without the chair w*nkers and slack jawed gawkers but there is a real appreciation to every artist from the crowd there to see them that I haven’t experienced before.  Everyone so far I’ve seen has ended up with a lot of loud cheering and appreciation from the audience. 

Well Go_A are awesome. Holly Humberstone seemed pretty sweet, and Self Esteem is putting on one hell of an act. Not surprised they're appreciating it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, moogster said:

Is it me or are people dumping less rubbish around?

Maybe slightly less. But still an absolute fucking disgrace compared to literally every other non arena festival in Europe. 

Absolutely shameful the entitlement UK punters have about not clearing up after themselves and just dropping cans and cups on the floor in crowd. From a supposedly discerning and progressive demographic too.