Random Glasto 2022 Observations

kalifire

I remember 2008 (of all years!) being stuck in a crowd bottleneck heading towards the Pyramid for JayZ after Amy Winehouse had finished. Literally two waves of people  against each other and no one moving in the direction they wanted for about 15-20 minutes. There have been others but it’s been a while since anything like that, sounds like it’s a busy one this year. Stay safe everyone  

5 hours ago, robin said:

I noticed on the tshirt and official twitter that they are referring to the festival being 5 days long (22nd - 26th) and the Friday as being day 3. Previously the Friday would have always been called day 1 and the dates would have been 24th - 26th. 

They've been advertising as a five day festival for a while, it started to get a lot busier on Wednesday the year the world cup was on because people went down to watch it on the Pyramid, before that it was never that packed. I'd have to dig out my bags but pretty sure the later ones have five days on them

- more kids/babies (some didn’t exist when original tickets were bought, I guess!)

- cleaner everywhere

- queues for food and especially coffee in the morning are mental.

- crowd seem a bit passive some of the time?

- less phones out taking photos or vids of sets. Love this one. People appreciating the moment

50 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Are we going to discuss the Sugababes shambles? 

14 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

What happened? We decided against the hassle.

They closed off access to Avalon. And they did a piss poor job. Still snuck through those guards but it was stupid they even did it in the first place. It was even more interesting because people were actually leaving and everyone was standing there asking to be let in cause 10 people walked out at one moment.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Are we going to discuss the Sugababes shambles? 

Got in a good spot for sugababes by watching the last couple of nick mulvey songs. It was 11/10, absolutely incredible life changing stuff!

On 6/23/2022 at 5:38 PM, kalifire said:

Just a collection of random observations/experiences over the weekend. 

Mel C’s crowd is so large they closed the track from West Holts to Williams Green. Perhaps time to rethink music on Thursdays? With so little on, anything even remotely popular will be insanely rammed. 

The ill considered Thursday bookings thing isn't new  - someone can help me here - about 8-10 years ago the same mistake was made. A known name act was booked and publicised for Williams Green. Area shutdown.

Not sure who runs Williams Green (it's not one of the "big five" run by GFL).

9 hours ago, mario man said:

I remember 2008 (of all years!) being stuck in a crowd bottleneck heading towards the Pyramid for JayZ after Amy Winehouse had finished. Literally two waves of people  against each other and no one moving in the direction they wanted for about 15-20 minutes. There have been others but it’s been a while since anything like that, sounds like it’s a busy one this year. Stay safe everyone  

And sounding stupid, that is an understandable bottleneck.  It's always been tight moving through there.

This year is completely different. Bottleneck on Bella's bridge, Arcadia to Park. I guess nobody goes Shangri La anymore, as everyone is up by the spider and park.

14 minutes ago, paulo999 said:

The ill considered Thursday bookings thing isn't new  - someone can help me here - about 8-10 years ago the same mistake was made. A known name act was booked and publicised for Williams Green. Area shutdown.

Not sure who runs Williams Green (it's not one of the "big five" run by GFL).

I've never seen so many people on a Thursday. It was bizarre. And couldn't quite believe, on my chair so many people had turned up. I couldn't give a shit, just wanted a pint. But then I couldn't leave and was stuck in crush on Bella's bridge, with my mum of 74.

That's when I knew it had been oversold. I was seeing pics of the Park, full of thousands and them trying to shut down Williams green.

I won't be coming back again, 14 years deep, and I love the place to bits, it's everything to me, but I won't fucking walk around constantly over congested areas, that previously made it for me 

1 hour ago, Dennis22 said:

I've never seen so many people on a Thursday. It was bizarre. And couldn't quite believe, on my chair so many people had turned up. I couldn't give a shit, just wanted a pint. But then I couldn't leave and was stuck in crush on Bella's bridge, with my mum of 74.

That's when I knew it had been oversold. I was seeing pics of the Park, full of thousands and them trying to shut down Williams green.

I won't be coming back again, 14 years deep, and I love the place to bits, it's everything to me, but I won't fucking walk around constantly over congested areas, that previously made it for me 

Park overload has happened many times before. This year was a band booked who then went massive.

My mates onsite are all saying it's busier - has to be true on the ground, but why? License only ticked up by 7k. On a %ge increase, it's chump change. I'm baffled.

You might have an aggy day but I'd be surprised if you do that final walk out of the gates and really think "never again"

Go and sit on a hill at dawn, take whatever floats you, see the sunrise. All will be right.