BBC Coverage 2022

Cooter

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

You make it sound like you know me and my skin colour and the fact I've never been called anything racist and project privilege on to me? If only you knew. It's all rather presumptuous of you. It sounds like you go around making a lot of presumptions, especially on who is allowed to say a word, based on their skin colour.

Call me old fashioned, but banning words in art, based on a person's skin colour sounds kinda... racist?

Also, I don't think this video is really about the topic you think it is. She's asking him why NWA include so many n-words in their music, not if it's okay for white people to say it or not.

I could go on, but there's a lot of moving the goalposts in your post. The original topic wasn't about it's use in songs, it was about whether white people are allowed to say it or not, even if it's a lyric in a song and it's said without malice or intent to harm anybody.

I hear it all time. Why bring race into it is often leveled back when any challenge is made.

The clip is perfectly valid as to why the songs/some artists might be using the word... and the intent and why therefore it's in songs and not okay to be used without any consideration on this basis.

And those who think it's okay to put a time-limit on the impact also fail to get it.  The worst thing we can as a society do is pretend that these things don't exist.

If you think that honestly the repetition of the words in the songs is purely art, but disregarding the route of the message in the first that's the issue.

Edited by Peroni

2 hours ago, willgooneday said:

I mean it was audible on the telly enough that some were singing it. I don't know I'd never use the N word as a white man, a bit like as a gay man I'd never want a straight person to use the F word regardless of whatever the context for it in the song lyrics was. I'm not denying that Kendrick is clearly an incredibly talented showman and artist but his crowd clearly wasn't that big when you think of what Diana Ross or McCartney pulled - although they were clearly into. Fair due to them but I'll honestly never get that kind of music. I was told by people how amazing it would be but all I saw was some well choreographed dancing and some f'ing and blinding their head of. I'd have been at Pet Shop Boys any day of the week. 

Honestly after I got home from holiday, I was watching it last night as the mother turned it on generally and I thought how many times is it basically swearing rap. If it was before 9pm, that show would jave come across awfully for the amount of cutting words the bbc would have needed to do. Fair if people like him, but his crowd shown that not only wasn't he people's favourite  choice but a poor Sunday choice. You van have 5k-20k people watching an act and it'll look a great crowd if they are all into that. That is what you get at academies and arenas all over the country because it's actual tours but that doesn't mean it was right for that spot.

4 minutes ago, Peroni said:

I hear it all time. Why bring race into it is often leveled back when any challenge is made.

The clip is perfectly valid as to why the songs/some artists might be using the word... and the intent and why therefore it's in songs and not okay to be used without any consideration on this basis.

And those who think it's okay to put a time-limit on the impact also fail to get it.  The worst thing we can as a society do is pretend that these things don't exist.

If you think that honestly the repetition of the words in the songs is purely art, but disregarding the route of the message in the first that's the issue.

1. I made the statement, 'why bring race into it?' before you made your challenge.

2. The clip is talking about its use in songs in general and why it's so often used. I don't give a damn if it's in songs, or being used - that wasn't the original discussion.

3. Words' meanings do change over time. People use it as a greeting now, a form on kinship - I don't think they're using it to denigrate one another.

4. Yes, words in songs is art. Who disregarded the route of the message or the word itself? Literally, show me the message where people disregarded that?

5. All I'm saying, is that if you ban white people from saying a "black person's word", then you ma'am are the one who needs to take a look in the mirror about your prejudices.

6. Kendrick came out and admitted he was hypocritical of the same thought you're pushing now. 

1 minute ago, Peroni said:

Was about to say the same.  I'd better shuffle my lazy real life experience of discrimination away. As Apparently society has moved on 😒

is it moving on when 6music censor bob dylan's use of the n word in the anti-racist 'hurricane'.?

meanwhile on the coverage, just watched the whole of Turnstile, brilliant.

Also just watched Amyl & the sniffers, outstanding.

Honestly, if I'd been there this year and knew of these bands before I think I would have spent most the fest in the JP tent. Obviously popping around site to see Mik now and then!

Also, Young Blood, wow!

25 minutes ago, panda97 said:

Didn't realise BBC decided to censor Olivia Rodrigo's performance and cut out the whole speech/song with Lily Allen from the set uploaded to iplayer, pretty spineless of them

Defo cut, i went looking for it earlier. Found it on YouTube though, absolute genius moment 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No. 

Im bemused. Its ok to sing along to every song and every lyric but if you're not black then you can't use that word. Honestly not being obtuse just very bewildered. 

Whilst on this train of thought, are there other words in other songs that its ok for the artist to sing but not for the audience?

Just watching some footage on iPlayer at home... Have they cut lots of bits? I feel like Sam Fender has a lot of his moments where he was talking to the crowd cut from the upload. Also there seems to be sets missing. I can't find Charli XCX or Confidence Man for some reason.