BBC Coverage 2022

Cooter

Wow I just finally got to watch Macca back. Loved it, despite not knowing any of his post Beatles stuff, was so emosh. Not much is gonna beat Hey Jude on the Pyramid. I think given all your comments on here my expectations were of it being lacking in hits so I was prepared for that. I enjoyed (most of) his patter inbetween songs. And the crowd was wall to wall smiles and tears. A moment for sure.

46 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

The thing with Kendrick is that you lose all the album context that makes him one of the greats when he plays live. Like, Backstreet Freestyle for example, yes it's a banger in its own right - but in the context of the album, he's freestyling as a kid in the back of a car, just trying to fit in with other people who are smoking and drinking and robbing which wasn't his normal lifestyle. He's rapping these ridiculous lines about having a dick as big as the Eiffel Tower because it's the sort of macho, tough guy act you hear in that kind of rap and he just wants to impress his friends. But at Glasto, it's just a big banger with no definition. 

Still goes hard AF though. 

You could say the same when Tool play songs from Lateralus live😉

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

You could say the same when Tool play songs from Lateralus live😉

Haha you could absolutely argue that! Luckily their songs are usually long enough to tell a story of their own - still waiting for them to play the full 17 minutes of Wings For Marie...

4 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Haha you could absolutely argue that! Luckily their songs are usually long enough to tell a story of their own - still waiting for them to play the full 17 minutes of Wings For Marie...

But then they still have enough songs with references to dicks and fisting themselves!

I'm still waiting for them to include Lateralus in their setlists again.

That has been a hell of a cricket series from an England perspective, mind you.

Felt the BBC's general coverage was superb this term. Felt the camera director was not quite on point as he has been in past years though - in particular, a lot of the choreography felt a little undercut by frequent cross-cutting during Kendrick Lamar last night. That's just a minor gripe though!

1 hour ago, willgooneday said:

I'm watching Kendrick now and I'm afraid I just can't get into it all. There's something laughable about a 98% white crowd singing 'all my niggers with me' at full belt.... 

well that pretty much hits the nail on the head for the glasto is too white thread. I was up front and oddly enough there was a fair amount of people who didnt say the N word when it came up by either not knowing the lyrics or possibly self sensoring. Plenty of young girls on the barrier who were just there to be there and nothing else.

Kendrick’s set was an all time great and his material is on another level. Shame some people don’t listen to what the lyrics actually mean and get all evangelical/Helen lovejoy all of a sudden. 

I really hope Glastonbury continue this trend their on, Kendrick brought a gigantic crowd and the pit was bouncing. More of this please!

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

The thing with Kendrick is that you lose all the album context that makes him one of the greats when he plays live. Like, Backstreet Freestyle for example, yes it's a banger in its own right - but in the context of the album, he's freestyling as a kid in the back of a car, just trying to fit in with other people who are smoking and drinking and robbing which wasn't his normal lifestyle. He's rapping these ridiculous lines about having a dick as big as the Eiffel Tower because it's the sort of macho, tough guy act you hear in that kind of rap and he just wants to impress his friends. But at Glasto, it's just a big banger with no definition. 

Still goes hard AF though. 

Thanks for trying to put it into some kind of perspective/context.

Maybe it's just not my thing, I don't feel much of the set went that hard. If anything I find it more commercial and tame than anything when compared to a lot of old school stuff like Busta Rhymes, NWA, DMX, etc... Maybe it's just not my bag.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, the set looked gold for those who do like him a lot and I'm glad he's got positive reviews. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me understand anyway!

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

32 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

well that pretty much hits the nail on the head for the glasto is too white thread. I was up front and oddly enough there was a fair amount of people who didnt say the N word when it came up by either not knowing the lyrics or possibly self sensoring. Plenty of young girls on the barrier who were just there to be there and nothing else.

What's wrong with white people?

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Thanks for trying to put it into some kind of perspective/context.

Maybe it's just not my thing, I don't feel much of the set went that hard. If anything I find it more commercial than anything when compared to a lot of old school stuff like Busta Rhymes, NWA, DMX, etc... Maybe it's just not my bag.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, the set looked gold for those who do like him a lot and I'm glad he's got positive reviews. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me understand as well!

Of course, no worries, not everything is for everyone! Plenty of stuff I don't love that many others do, Drake is probably the biggest example 😅 as long as you put Wu in top 5 it's all good

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

lol for sure but isn't that what diversity all about ?   Its kind of beautiful in some ways...

The n word means nothing now like it used to in the context its being used in is important - its totally diluted in this sort of setting now thankfully.  You can't sell millions of albums with the word being said so often and not expect it to be said out loud.

I had it on today while working but even with the context behind the songs being explained I still only made it half way through before now getting bored and putting the cricket back on lol.

That's what I thought. Why does race always have to get dragged into these things?

White people can like music sung by Kendrick, black people can like the Foals. It shouldn't be weird to see either races singing to any band or artist.

If the word is in a song, then people should be allowed to sing it, it doesn't mean they're racists or off to join the KKK. Why would they be at the gig in the first place if they just wanted to yell the n word and actually hated black people?! It doesn't make any sense.

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's what I thought. Why does race always have to get dragged into these things?

White people can like music sung by Kendrick, black people can like the Foals. It shouldn't be weird to see either races singing to any band or artist.

If the word is in a song, then people should be allowed to sing it, it doesn't mean they're racists or off to join the KKK. Why would they be at the gig in the first place if they just wanted to yell the n word and actually hated black people?! It doesn't make any sense.

There's such a privilege in that statement. I don't want to de rail the thread, bit ultimately race isn't being dragged in... its always there.  The bias whilst it might be uncomfortable and unintentionally it's there. 

That's why it really isn't appropriate to use the N word irrespective of your likely to join the KKK.  Easy E explains why black artists use it... here:

Unless you are using it for that reason just don't..  and whilst it's in the song... its not just a lyric in the song.

11 minutes ago, Peroni said:

There's such a privilege in that statement. I don't want to de rail the thread, bit ultimately race isn't being dragged in... its always there.  The bias whilst it might be uncomfortable and unintentionally it's there. 

That's why it really isn't appropriate to use the N word irrespective of your likely to join the KKK.  Easy E explains why black artists use it... here:

Unless you are using it for that reason just don't..  and whilst it's in the song... its not just a lyric in the song.

You make it sound like you know me and my skin colour and the fact I've never been called anything racist and project privilege on to me? If only you knew. It's all rather presumptuous of you. It sounds like you go around making a lot of presumptions, especially on who is allowed to say a word, based on their skin colour.

Call me old fashioned, but banning words in art, based on a person's skin colour sounds kinda... racist?

Also, I don't think this video is really about the topic you think it is. She's asking him why NWA include so many n-words in their music, not if it's okay for white people to say it or not.

I could go on, but there's a lot of moving the goalposts in your post. The original topic wasn't about it's use in songs, it was about whether white people are allowed to say it or not, even if it's a lyric in a song and it's said without malice or intent to harm anybody.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@MEGATRONICMEATWAGON why are you so sad you can’t use the N word? Why do you have a problem with BAME people reclaiming it?

What an obtuse re-imagining of what I said. I know how these things go. You move the goalposts and project something that I never said...

I am not sad that I cannot use the n-word.

I think it's sad to critcise white fans of a black rapper, who love him to pieces, from singing along to his songs.

PS - do you know what BAME means? I don't think there's a lot of Chinese-British going around using the n-word, lol 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think we are beyond the process of the N-Word being reclaimed...  That processed finished along time ago...

Now its being resold and its a multi billion pound commodity...

Its hard to comment as a 42 year old white man but when my little white girls are being charged very good money to own and listen to this music containing these lyrics and they go attend the events this art is shown at in and environment where its totally normal for everyone to sing the words...  It seems a little crazy not to expect the word to be sung...

Its not the word it was...  but it still a word that needs to be used with care...   

Singing it at Glastonbury to show your appreciation for someones art - good...

Saying it to a black person in general conversation - bad...

Surely thats where we are in 2022 and i doubt Easy-E would disagree today...

Pretty much this!

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kendrick’s set was an all time great and his material is on another level. Shame some people don’t listen to what the lyrics actually mean and get all evangelical/Helen lovejoy all of a sudden. 

I really hope Glastonbury continue this trend their on, Kendrick brought a gigantic crowd and the pit was bouncing. More of this please!

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

I mean it was audible on the telly enough that some were singing it. I don't know I'd never use the N word as a white man, a bit like as a gay man I'd never want a straight person to use the F word regardless of whatever the context for it in the song lyrics was. I'm not denying that Kendrick is clearly an incredibly talented showman and artist but his crowd clearly wasn't that big when you think of what Diana Ross or McCartney pulled - although they were clearly into. Fair due to them but I'll honestly never get that kind of music. I was told by people how amazing it would be but all I saw was some well choreographed dancing and some f'ing and blinding their head of. I'd have been at Pet Shop Boys any day of the week. 

17 hours ago, benali said:

There's a million things to do other than watch one of those 4 stages.

Personally, I ended up spending Sunday night at the Cabaret tent, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

It was a combination of having wrecked my back on Friday meaning standing for longer than an hour is very painful currently, and the fact I'd already seen the PSB tour last month.

8 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

I was told by people how amazing it would be but all I saw was some well choreographed dancing and some f'ing and blinding their head of.

I was told by people how amazing it would be and all I saw was an old bloke wearing a shit hat pressing play on a CD full of camp Casio keyboard presets. 

1 hour ago, Peroni said:

Oh give it a break