BBC Coverage 2022

Cooter

Absolutely loving the coverage this year, this is the first time I've managed to follow the live stage streams which helps make up a little for not being there.  My memory is crap but it seems to me the Park Stage has a lot more coverage that it used to.  I saw some brilliant sets there in the past main one being the secret gig by the Last Shadow Puppets when they first came out.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Youre hilarious. Im not gonna sit here and list of the endless male artists who do the same lyrics wise as megan or cardi and nobody says anything.  And really, lil nas? A gay black man cant express himself now? Im sure you would pass out if you walked into the nyc downlow one late night.

You're hilarious.

We're talking about whether or not these sorts of acts should be mainstream pop stars and role models for children with such overtly different to whether they should be allowed to do what they do - nobodies debating the latter and I've a lot of respect for Lil Nas X and artists like him. It's a bit like appreciating Drake, AJ Tracey or Aitch as musicians but I'm pretty sure most of the people wouldn't want their young children idolising them rather than Harry Styles or Ed Sheeran. 

Obviously public opinion disagrees with me given both Cardi B and Lil Nas X's sales/streaming figures and chart positions absolutely prove their popularity.

Maybe I'm being prudish but sexual songs from the era of censorship always sound a lot more damn romantic than this stuff. 'Hey boy do you ever get bored playing with your toy, I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours' (from B*witcheds Ce Est La Vie) just sounds a lot nicer as a lyric and is a lot more creative than 'put your dick/fanny in my mouth while I'm riding' regardless of whose singing it and I'm sure parents would be more comfortable with their kids singing the former.

MORNING! I've not watched Macca yet (and doesn't sound like I can anyway), but I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through all your comments - the ups...the downs....people booing....people not booing....boring....AMAZING....where is Jamie T's jaw??

Thanks for the laughs. Looking forward to what today brings!

12 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Anyone listening to 6 Music? Apparently they delayed showing McCartneys set by an hour due to "the complexity of the show" - Um, sorry what? 

Paul did mention he was using pretty much all his own crew, so maybe they wanted to make sure nothing went completely tits up before broadcasting it? 

58 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

You're hilarious.

We're talking about whether or not these sorts of acts should be mainstream pop stars and role models for children with such overtly different to whether they should be allowed to do what they do - nobodies debating the latter and I've a lot of respect for Lil Nas X and artists like him. It's a bit like appreciating Drake, AJ Tracey or Aitch as musicians but I'm pretty sure most of the people wouldn't want their young children idolising them rather than Harry Styles or Ed Sheeran. 

Obviously public opinion disagrees with me given both Cardi B and Lil Nas X's sales/streaming figures and chart positions absolutely prove their popularity.

Maybe I'm being prudish but sexual songs from the era of censorship always sound a lot more damn romantic than this stuff. 'Hey boy do you ever get bored playing with your toy, I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours' (from B*witcheds Ce Est La Vie) just sounds a lot nicer as a lyric and is a lot more creative than 'put your dick/fanny in my mouth while I'm riding' regardless of whose singing it and I'm sure parents would be more comfortable with their kids singing the former.

Why do all artists have to be appropriate for children?

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Why do all artists have to be appropriate for children?

Try reading the post again? These are the biggest artists on Spotify and regular in the UK Top 40 - they're actively courting young people as their fanbase with this fifth - for which the target market is teenage children and younger - the biggest music consumers - these aren't niche album acts. Radio and streaming music should be friendly for anyone to listen to in the main, it's not at the minute - there's more bleeps than actual words on most chart shows now. 

And if you're gonna do smut at least make it witty and intelligent like Judge Dread. A lot of old pop is not really appropriate for kids, but the lyrics were written in a way a child could happily sing it without realising how bad it was til they grew up - that's not gonna happen with Megan Thee Stallion is it? 

Edited by willgooneday

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Youngbld - just watching - looked epic 

Jack Saunder's (who most be Radio 1's best new presenter in years and great to see him on telly) introduced the replay of his set by saying he booked him in 2015(?) for a gig where he played to about 10 people and performed with a similar sort of energy. The guys one of the few who's just born to do it like that and can knock it out the park - like Idles or Frank Carter (not performing this year) - the contrast to Elijah Thompson from Inhaler, whose an incredibly accomplished musician but seemed to have the stage presence of a wet blanket (a bit unnerving for someone whose dad is Bono) watching it on Iplayer yesterday

Edited by willgooneday

There was some weird stuff going on with flags yesterday at the Other before Glass Animals, tv people asking security to move or lower flags or something? Maybe they’re worried about having something inappropriate in shot and they literally have to review every set for compliance?

I'm guessing the reason for missing the first couple of acts off every stage is staff contract/BBC working hours stuff, that's the only reason I can think of really. They've missed some stuff I'd love to see like Kae Tempest and Ziggy Marley but I understand it's probably a lot of work to do so much blanket coverage across the weekend.

Overall the BBC coverage is incredibly good and certainly helping me with not being there.

It's the first time I've watched it on TV for quite a few years and totally get how the coverage fuels people's desire to go next year. I went out with a bunch of mates yesterday and every single one of them said they'd try for tickets in October despite not normally being interested in going to gigs and hating camping!

Part of me wishes the BBC coverage wasn't available....might make it easier come ticket day.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, benali said:

Warmduscher, let's have it

Powerful start and then the second song is a banger. Great live band. Clams is one of the best frontmen around, very free and loose with the profanities at 2pm on a Sunday 😂