Dealing with Glasto fomo..

Gashead86

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hey whisty, long time no see! Definitely agree with this. It's been great watching all the stuff and helped me deal with not being there a lot better than I expected. And from next week I can legitimately start gearing myself up for T-day.

Kind of lost interest as no ticket since 2018 but catching it live on iplayer for most of the weekend has been a real treat. See you there one of these years 😀

30 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

Oh 100%! Sunday always does feel a bit like, well a Sunday! 
The looming threat of reality looms large and by about midnight I am normally physically done for the week! 

I think Sunday is my least favourite day of the festival to be honest. I love the Wednesday and Thursday the most, full of possibility and freedom to do whatever, Friday and Saturday are all about the music and then on Sunday I'm exhausted and a bit sad and dreading the journey back.

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think Sunday is my least favourite day of the festival to be honest. I love the Wednesday and Thursday the most, full of possibility and freedom to do whatever, Friday and Saturday are all about the music and then on Sunday I'm exhausted and a bit sad and dreading the journey back.

I always used to feel that way, but the last few times we have made a conscious effort to seek out more "party" bands for Sunday afternoon/evening. It's hard to feel mopey when you are dancing!

Generally this year I have been up and down; some real FOMO moments and then a few times when I have thought that watching it on TV is fine. Definitely trying in October though! 

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Agreed, Weds/Thurs easily my favourite days. Yesterdays line up wasn't massively my thing so think I'd have had a good day at T&C/Greenfields

3 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I always used to feel that way, but the last few times we have made a conscious effort to seek out more "party" bands for Sunday afternoon/evening. It's hard to feel mopey when you are dancing!

Yes we’ve tried to do that as well & the last two Sundays I’ve been there have ended with two of the best headliners for me over these recent years, Justice in 2017 and The Cure in 2019. However once the main stages close I am usually ready to drop! 

4 minutes ago, mario man said:

Yes we’ve tried to do that as well & the last two Sundays I’ve been there have ended with two of the best headliners for me over these recent years, Justice in 2017 and The Cure in 2019. However once the main stages close I am usually ready to drop! 

We saw Justice too. Fantastic show! 

It's been a bit of a weird journey watching it all from home.

The week before the line up was released, I had major excitement and FOMO. It was so much fun going through names and checking them out on clashfinder/Spotify all week.

Then I kinda forgot about it all until Tues when all the updates started to come in of queues etc.

Wednesday was difficult, even tho I didn't have a ticket, and I still checked for updates every hour I could during work.

All that FOMO washed away after ppl started to mention the problems with overcrowding etc.

And then actually, last night was great fun, having a few drinks, watching the sets, exchanging views on eFests. Seriously, I was loving it. Was on here for a solid 5 hours, felt like I really experienced a part of the whole weekend.

Plus, now, I don't feel like I've missed out on anything and I don't have to worry about the journey home tomorrow or the comedown that I always get post-Glasto.

So, yeah, so many ups and downs but genuinely feel like I've had the best of both worlds. Ideally I'd like to be there, but it was lovely watching all the sets without having to pack up my wellies, tent, or sleep in an oven or spending 500 quid on Thai prawn curries, haha 🙂

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, mario man said:

2 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

We saw Justice too. Fantastic show! 

Thirded for Justice! They were awesome, loved it, even from the right hand side where the bench circles are.

36 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Generally this year I have been up and down; some real FOMO moments and then a few times when I have thought that watching it on TV is fine. Definitely trying in October though! 

That's a great tactic! We managed that with Hackney Colliery Band in 2017. 

It's silly really as there's a whole day ahead of you! But I'm not good at living in the moment.

32 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It's been a bit of a weird journey watching it all from home.

The week before the line up was released, I had major excitement and FOMO. It was so much fun going through names and checking them out on clashfinder/Spotify all week.

Then I kinda forgot about it all until Tues when all the updates started to come in of queues etc.

Wednesday was difficult, even tho I didn't have a ticket, and I still checked for updates every hour I could during work.

All that FOMO washed away after ppl started to mention the problems with overcrowding etc.

And then actually, last night was great fun, having a few drinks, watching the sets, exchanging views on eFests. Seriously, I was loving it. Was on here for a solid 5 hours, felt like I really experienced a part of the whole weekend.

Plus, now, I don't feel like I've missed out on anything and I don't have to worry about the journey home tomorrow or the comedown that I always get post-Glasto.

So, yeah, so many ups and downs but genuinely feel like I've had the best of both worlds. Ideally I'd like to be there, but it was lovely watching all the sets without having to pack up my wellies, tent, or sleep in an oven or spending 500 quid on Thai prawn curries, haha 🙂

spot on!

Just now, danceonfire said:

It’s the fact everyone around you is packing up that makes me sad on the Sunday. Seeing people carrying stuff back to their cars is a downer. I like to put it all off till Monday. 

great shout!  seeing empty pitches too.   we are a strange bunch 😁

18 minutes ago, danceonfire said:

It’s the fact everyone around you is packing up that makes me sad on the Sunday. Seeing people carrying stuff back to their cars is a downer. I like to put it all off till Monday. 

I feel like there should be rule for this. If you can't turn up on by Thursday at latest and if you leave before midnight on the Sunday you should be blacklisted. (Yes, I know I'm being judgemental but I am also being a little tongue in cheek)! But really if you miss so much of "The Experience" are you getting it?

Harumph, grump over, enjoy the last day and good luck with the ticket gods in the sale everyone.

Sunday, like others have said, is always a bit sad. You know it's ending, you can literally see the sands of time moving across the sky. 

I'm normally fairly frugal most of the other days, save for the odd cocktail or ale, but on the Sunday as a way of cheering myself up, I do a bit of retail therapy. 

I know not everyone can afford to, but I like to buy a souvenir t shirt, splurge a bit more on breakfast and dinner, buy something for my wife or kids, have a lovely dessert for lunch depending on whether it's a sunny or cooler day.

That usually offsets some of my sadness anyway.

• Like 1

Right then folks, I am just about to jump in the car with the wife making the trip from Bristol to the Olympic stadium to see the chillis. Now, I should be buzzing for that of course, but I am wary that the Glasto fomo still looms over me… How very silly right? Worried about moping about a festival I can’t go to whilst stood watching one of the best bands in the world! Fomo eh? Madness! 

Anyway, before I set off I just wanted to touch base to say thank you to all those who have contributed to this group across the past 4 days. It’s been fucking tough, but without the community on here it would have been a hell of a lot tougher! So again, thanks to all in here and the bbc thread for your virtual companionship. 

For now at least, cheerio and let’s all hope we don’t need to do this again next year right?!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

Right then folks, I am just about to jump in the car with the wife making the trip from Bristol to the Olympic stadium to see the chillis. Now, I should be buzzing for that of course, but I am wary that the Glasto fomo still looms over me… How very silly right? Worried about moping about a festival I can’t go to whilst stood watching one of the best bands in the world! Fomo eh? Madness! 

Anyway, before I set off I just wanted to touch base to say thank you to all those who have contributed to this group across the past 4 days. It’s been fucking tough, but without the community on here it would have been a hell of a lot tougher! So again, thanks to all in here and the bbc thread for your virtual companionship. 

For now at least, cheerio and let’s all hope we don’t need to do this again next year right?!

Thanks to you for starting it! Has been a huge help and I have had a decent weekend watching with you all 😀

1 hour ago, Gashead86 said:

Enjoy! I’m fairly sure once you get there you won’t be think of Glasto much! Thanks for starting this group therapy, it’s been a real help!