Dealing with Glasto fomo..

Gashead86

Don't know how others felt and the end of the first day's TV, but overall its made me feel so much better to be watching it, i watched a couple of hours from 3 to 5am, then went back to bed for a couple of hours, when i watched for the second time and the crowds were much bigger, that made things a bit harder but since then its just got better and better and nothing can beat being there but having the TV and this forum to fall back on really changes things.

Tbh all the reports of overcrowding for acts, poor crowd atmospheres, and poor crowd control have evaporated any FOMO I had. The poor line up is bearing fruit as people are reduced to going to see the same handful of good acts each day.

If they add even more ppl next year, I wonder if they care about keeping the festival spirit from yesteryear or just want to make it one giant slug fest.

1 hour ago, Cannedm said:

Just ticked off my first Glastonbury bingo card with someone posting that it's their last Glastonbury. The reports of queues, obvious crowds (although nothing like before fence times) and pisspoor lineup are all obliterating any little FOMO I had. 

Just realised I basically repeated this. Seconded.

5 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Don't know how others felt and the end of the first day's TV, but overall its made me feel so much better to be watching it, i watched a couple of hours from 3 to 5am, then went back to bed for a couple of hours, when i watched for the second time and the crowds were much bigger, that made things a bit harder but since then its just got better and better and nothing can beat being there but having the TV and this forum to fall back on really changes things.

It's really helped me too! Had a great afternoon/evening watching Arlo Parks, Dry Cleaning, TLC, Khruangbin, Little Simz and bits of Bonobo and Four Tet. Has made me feel more a part of it in a way that I didn't expect. Sad to be seeing all the negative reports of it being so crowded though.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's really helped me too! Had a great afternoon/evening watching Arlo Parks, Dry Cleaning, TLC, Khruangbin, Little Simz and bits of Bonobo and Four Tet. Has made me feel more a part of it in a way that I didn't expect. Sad to be seeing all the negative reports of it being so crowded though.

I was just reading the crowded thread, that is a real worry, Sunday legend slot could be a disaster, decided in 2019 to never be anywhere near the pyramid on a Sunday daytme again, and i feel sorry for those on site who are struggling. I've only ever seen 1 bottleneck in 10 visits, but it does sound like its becoming really common and dangerous. 

9 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

I was just reading the crowded thread, that is a real worry, Sunday legend slot could be a disaster, decided in 2019 to never be anywhere near the pyramid on a Sunday daytme again, and i feel sorry for those on site who are struggling. I've only ever seen 1 bottleneck in 10 visits, but it does sound like its becoming really common and dangerous. 

Yeah legend will be grim. I really enjoyed Kylie as we had been there a while and kept a decent spot but the crowds for both Dolly and Lionel did mar those performances for me a bit, as good as they were. I'm quite glad I'll be able to watch Diana on TV!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Tbh all the reports of overcrowding for acts, poor crowd atmospheres, and poor crowd control have evaporated any FOMO I had. The poor line up is bearing fruit as people are reduced to going to see the same handful of good acts each day.

If they add even more ppl next year, I wonder if they care about keeping the festival spirit from yesteryear or just want to make it one giant slug fest.

Have you ever posted anything positive about the festival? Constant negativity about the weather, lineups etc. Oh, and what a surprise, you’re not actually there. 

9 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Yep, really helped yesterday, I sat down about 9:30 after a busy day and watched quite a lot of Billie with my daughter and when she went to bed I channel hopped between Foals, Simz and Four Tet (which looked incredible!)

I then moved onto some highlights from during the day - Wet Leg, Wolf Alice, Dry Cleaning, Crowded House - and then realised it was 2am and I had to get up early! 

More of the same tonight I hope - cannot wait for Macca

3 hours ago, henry bear said:

Have you ever posted anything positive about the festival? Constant negativity about the weather, lineups etc. Oh, and what a surprise, you’re not actually there. 

Uh oh, the thought police have arrived for expressing the wrong opinion...

I don't need to constantly blurt out sycophantic praise non-stop to love the festival. In fact, if you'd read a lot of my posts, I express quite often how wonderful it is. It's actually because I care about the place that I don't want it to continue down some of the roads it is going down. Except the weather, because I can't control that...

Things I'm guessing you're referring to about people or stewarding at the festival:

- I criticised overcrowding and placing massive acts in fields that can lead to field closures and crushes

- I criticised patronising women as if they're dumb helpless idiots that need to be boosted through quotas and social engineering projects

- I dislike Glasto years when every day is 32'C heat (although seriously, imagine someone complaining at another for complaining about the weather)

- I dislike saying that 2022 is "stacked" - because it very clearly is not

So, sorry that I have gone against the grain on all of those topics. Let me fix them for you, Henry, so you are pleased with me agreeing with others.

- Overcrowding is awesome and everyone who is scared or panicked by bottlenecking should man the fuck up

- Women are so lame they need to be artificially boosted onto the bill because they sure as shit can't do it on their own and somehow women on the bill will end female rape gangs in Romania or something

- Heatstroke and sunstroke and 32'C with no shade for 5 days is awesome

- This year is the bestest of the bestest line ups since EVER

Happy now?

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

Come on guys, I started this thread to give my fellow misseroutters (that’s a word right?!) a safe place to come and say ‘you know what, everyone around me thinks I am being silly, but actually I am really quite sad that I am not there’! And for them to know that’s it’s not weird or silly, in facts it’s very normal and the fomo is real!!

Last thing I wanted was for this to turn into a place to bicker. 

I have to admit, reports of crowding don’t particularly put me off as I’d like to think I’d be smart enough to avoid the bottle necks.. But it’s not always as easy as that!! Big crowds can be scary and I think it’s perfectly normal for people to be a little relieved not to be stuck in them. 

What I will say (again), is that this bbc coverage really is phenomenal! Dare I say it, but really do feel like I am almost there.. The ability to be able to cover watch the main stages live all day is a game changer for us stay at how crew. 

Once again, massive virtual hug to all others who aren’t at the best place in the world in person and have that knot in their stomach. However, let’s make the most of it, settle in with a few beers and watch Macca tear the roof off of the pyramid tonight! 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jcatley said:

Anywayyyy…. After watching the last couple of days on BBC there is no way I can miss this festival again next year. It really is the best place on earth isn’t it 

It’s not even close is it?! 

I live up the road in Bristol so find myself down that way every now and then for work etc and I’ll often pop into the site just for a nose. It’s very odd, but even when there is nothing at all happening on the site you definitely still the presence of the festival.. Almost as though all those fantastic memories we all have sort of linger over head and whisper in the wind. 

I am not a religious man at all, but when it comes to Glasto and my love for the place I think religion is as good an analogy as there is to sum up how I feel about that place. 

Anyway, all of this reminiscing is not helping my fomo! Back to the bbc coverage for me!! 

22 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

It’s not even close is it?! 

I live up the road in Bristol so find myself down that way every now and then for work etc and I’ll often pop into the site just for a nose. It’s very odd, but even when there is nothing at all happening on the site you definitely still the presence of the festival.. Almost as though all those fantastic memories we all have sort of linger over head and whisper in the wind. 

I am not a religious man at all, but when it comes to Glasto and my love for the place I think religion is as good an analogy as there is to sum up how I feel about that place. 

Anyway, all of this reminiscing is not helping my fomo! Back to the bbc coverage for me!! 

I echo all of those thoughts. Just watching it on TV brings back so many cherished memories. Without sounding cliche there really is a magic about the place.

enjoy the rest of the TV coverage and let’s make sure we both get to enjoy the farm next year!

52 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

Come on guys, I started this thread to give my fellow misseroutters (that’s a word right?!) a safe place to come and say ‘you know what, everyone around me thinks I am being silly, but actually I am really quite sad that I am not there’! And for them to know that’s it’s not weird or silly, in facts it’s very normal and the fomo is real!!

I have to admit, reports of crowding don’t particularly put me off as I’d like to think I’d be smart enough to avoid the bottle necks.. But it’s not always as easy as that!! Big crowds can be scary and I think it’s perfectly normal for people to be a little relieved not to be stuck in them. 

What I will say (again), is that this bbc coverage really is phenomenal! Dare I say it, but really do feel like I am almost there.. The ability to be able to cover watch the main stages live all day is a game changer for us stay at how crew. 

Once again, massive virtual hug to all others who aren’t at the best place in the world in person and have that knot in their stomach. However, let’s make the most of it, settle in with a few beers and watch Macca tear the roof off of the pyramid tonight! 

Excellent post! Plenty of other threads for bickering elsewhere. This is a safe space for people to be sad about missing the festival and enjoy watching it on telly together (this and the BBC coverage one).

The i player footage is fantastic, none of that maybe it’s better at that stage you’re not at 😉 I’ve missed two consecutive festivals now due to no ticket but loving what I’ve seen in tv in a comfy armchair. There’s always October 😀

Edited by whisty

7 hours ago, Gashead86 said:

Yeah, fair play. Thank you for re-focusing the conversation. 

Bottlenecks, panicking in crowds, being in the wrong place at the wrong time are all genuine realities... and so is FOMO!

This year's BBC coverage has been second to none, I don't remember being able to skip between stages so easily compared to other years. When I've watched before I've had to wait for bands I wanted to see or hoped the BBC was covering who I wanted to see. Even as recently back as 2017, it's so hard to find coverage of bands I saw on the West Holts.

Anyway, despite the reports of crowd problems and anti-social behaviour, I have hope these will be "fixed" by the next edition. Especially the first issue.

Much love from the backwaters if Germania! x

10 hours ago, whisty said:

The i player footage is fantastic, none of that maybe it’s better at that stage you’re not at 😉 I’ve missed two consecutive festivals now due to no ticket but loving what I’ve seen in tv in a comfy armchair. There’s always October 😀

Hey whisty, long time no see! Definitely agree with this. It's been great watching all the stuff and helped me deal with not being there a lot better than I expected. And from next week I can legitimately start gearing myself up for T-day.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hey whisty, long time no see! Definitely agree with this. It's been great watching all the stuff and helped me deal with not being there a lot better than I expected. And from next week I can legitimately start gearing myself up for T-day.

Spent yesterday watching as much Glastonbury as I could and loved it.

I have been very lucky this weekend and was able to go and see Elbow on Friday night (thanks again Dan) and going to see Elton John this afternoon.

I have found previous weekends of missed Glastonbury’s horrible. Went to a caravan site one year and found myself thinking about Glastonbury anyway and trying to watch it on a black and white tv 😆.

Hope we all get tickets in October🤞🤞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Spent yesterday watching as much Glastonbury as I could and loved it.

I have been very lucky this weekend and was able to go and see Elbow on Friday night (thanks again Dan) and going to see Elton John this afternoon.

I have found previous weekends of missed Glastonbury’s horrible. Went to a caravan site one year and found myself thinking about Glastonbury anyway and trying to watch it on a black and white tv 😆.

Hope we all get tickets in October🤞🤞

Indeed, fingers crossed! In my head I feel like we definitely should as we missed out last time but I know it doesn't work like that...

2016 is the only year I've missed since I started going and I was out of the country for the weekend (after voting in referendum obvs) so didn't watch any of it. At the time that felt like the best way to deal with it but embracing it this time has been better. Feels like a more grown-up reaction! 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

No real FOMO about not being there this year, if any at all then maybe on the weds/thurs (always my favourite days).

The coverage has been great, loved Billie Eilish when not knowing much about her.

i'm always a bit down on the sunday at the festival anyway, and the post glasto comedown i definitely wont miss!!!

3 minutes ago, davelucs said:

i'm always a bit down on the sunday at the festival anyway, and the post glasto comedown i definitely wont miss!!!

Totally agree, I always find the Sunday hard knowing it’s the last day and thinking about re-entry to reality the following day.

I think we’ve made it through the worst of it people! 

• Upvote 1