Dealing with Glasto fomo..

Gashead86

14 hours ago, Northtim said:

Not FOMO just pure gutting MO. My golden ticket is at home, my Gang is at Glasto & I’m in hospital.

Never been in hospital since I had my appendix out 25 years ago, and never usually ill. Yet the Sunday before Glasto that I had so been looking forward to I went yellow with jaundice and and stuck in here with something wrong with gallbladder.

Doesn’t look like it will be anything serious or long term but doesn’t the timing suck.

Roll on 2023. I don’t suppose there is any chance of rolling the ticket over, and the rest of my group are using theirs.

Get well soon. 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:39 PM, BlueDaze said:

The fact that we are posting on here shows a level of embracing… 

failed to get tickets for the first time since 2007…. 
tbh, my arthritic knee is causing so much grief that it would have broken me..

As a CV dweller I am used to turning up on Tuesday… and Tuesday-Thursday is probably as enjoyable as the weekend..

I am interested to see how good the BBC  coverage is…my daughter on the other hand is trying to ignore the whole thing..

I really like the Tuesday to Thursday part as well and i've been trying to find some coverage of it to watch, but so far have only found the 30 min show on iplayer plus a couple of short news items - have has been anything else anywhere?

On 6/23/2022 at 4:14 AM, majormajormajor said:

We have a baby due next week, so had to give up our tickets this year. I am finding it quite difficult though - obviously I haven't mentioned that to the mrs, however!

Anyone ever been with a one year old before? I cannot fathom not going next year.

We went with a 6 month old and a 2 year old in 2014, was no problem, hard work physically as we had a big double seater pram, with the kids, booze and chairs strapped to it. We do use a campervan though and that year we used Windinglake so even had power back at the van. Seen lots of posts about kids in tents and people being OK with that. 

Its so good to have a thread like this as i have been starting to think i was going crazy! seeing that so many others are struggling with this too is quite reassuring.

I thought i was quite at peace with not going this year as in all honesty, i wouldn't go even if i had the tickets, its too much of a trip from here unless you can take a month off, so all in all i was really looking forward to watching stuff on TV, but no that its all happening its a lot harder than i thought. 

Being so many hours ahead is also weird, its seems to always be the next day and I keep constantly looking for video's of the site over the Wednesday and Thursday as i love those days - but i can't find anything so i'm getting frustrated. Its a public holiday here on Friday, so i have all this time to spare but no Glasto videos to watch 😞

Hopefully it will feel easier when there is more regular coverage on the TV.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:24 AM, Northtim said:

Not FOMO just pure gutting MO. My golden ticket is at home, my Gang is at Glasto & I’m in hospital.

Never been in hospital since I had my appendix out 25 years ago, and never usually ill. Yet the Sunday before Glasto that I had so been looking forward to I went yellow with jaundice and and stuck in here with something wrong with gallbladder.

Doesn’t look like it will be anything serious or long term but doesn’t the timing suck.

Roll on 2023. I don’t suppose there is any chance of rolling the ticket over, and the rest of my group are using theirs.

Sorry this is not going to help with peoples FOMO but just been told I am being discharged this afternoon. Organised a lift down and hotel in Bristol tonight and should be walking through Gate A on Saturday morning.

it will be a very different (and shorter) Festival for me. Alcohol Free and taking it slow, but I am going to make it there. So happy right now.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Sorry this is not going to help with peoples FOMO but just been told I am being discharged this afternoon. Organised a lift down and hotel in Bristol tonight and should be walking through Gate A on Saturday morning.

it will be a very different (and shorter) Festival for me. Alcohol Free and taking it slow, but I am going to make it there. So happy right now.

Amazing! Have a great one.

7 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Great to read you’re still getting there!

Been a very good find this thread, thought I was kind of overreacting by being so mopey at not being there but reading that other people also struggle with missing out it kind of helps.

My solution for not getting tickets is usually to just buy more tickets for other things but it isn’t always the same. The best festival I’ve found to replicate Glastonbury (and in some cases, do some things better) is Sziget. 7 days (now 6, but still long enough) on an island in the Danube in Budapest, with so many other things to do aside from the line up. It even has its own private beach where you can go and chill out when it’s all getting a bit exhausting, but there’s so much to do we never got to do it all. One thing I would say though is with it being in the middle of August and so long it can be expensive, but if you’re prepared to put your hand in your pocket I would argue it’s the closest you can get to Glastonbury without being there

I keep browsing Twitter/Facebook/Instagram and scrolling through the forums and I’m gutted I’m not there right now. My wife has never been and doesn’t understand the festival. Even showing the pictures of the site build up or the view of the sunset from the park on Wednesday she was confused by it all.

we’ve got a nearly one year old, I’m hoping to try and get tickets for us all for next year, but I’m gonna be watching this weekend from the comfort of home. Glad I’m not the only one obsessed and missing it!

Never thought it would be the case, but I must confess this bbc coverage is actually really helping. 
These new live channels are excellent. Don’t get me wrong, it’s clearly not the same as being there, but it’s pretty respectable consolation! 

Still have the knot of sadness in the pit of my stomach that I am not there in person, but this is definitely helping.

42 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

Never thought it would be the case, but I must confess this bbc coverage is actually really helping. 
These new live channels are excellent. Don’t get me wrong, it’s clearly not the same as being there, but it’s pretty respectable consolation! 

Still have the knot of sadness in the pit of my stomach that I am not there in person, but this is definitely helping.

Yeah got to agree. Watching it live makes you feel a part of it somehow.

19 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

The news that Williams Green had to close today because so many people wanted to watch a fucking spice girl playing some records on a turntable lessens my FOMO somewhat! It just makes me think maybe this festival isn't for me anymore?

We are all different, and that 'stance' changes / can change with time. There would be a time when I'd have fully agreed with you. However, I can no longer. I cannot, because I too would be interested in listening to the music choices of the person who can do this;

8 hours ago, 49Lawson said:

Great to read you’re still getting there!

Been a very good find this thread, thought I was kind of overreacting by being so mopey at not being there but reading that other people also struggle with missing out it kind of helps.

My solution for not getting tickets is usually to just buy more tickets for other things but it isn’t always the same. The best festival I’ve found to replicate Glastonbury (and in some cases, do some things better) is Sziget. 7 days (now 6, but still long enough) on an island in the Danube in Budapest, with so many other things to do aside from the line up. It even has its own private beach where you can go and chill out when it’s all getting a bit exhausting, but there’s so much to do we never got to do it all. One thing I would say though is with it being in the middle of August and so long it can be expensive, but if you’re prepared to put your hand in your pocket I would argue it’s the closest you can get to Glastonbury without being there

Your solution sounds fabulous. 

I once booked a short holiday abroad for directly after Glastonbury. A sort of very indulgent form of convalescing*. Anyway, I didn't manage to get a Glastonbury ticket that year. Probably just as well, given the performance I made in Benidorm - of all places! 

* For this definition of the word 'convalescing', please do include the term 'carrying on', as it would be necessary to do so.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Northtim said:

Didn’t go to plan. Shouldn’t have got my hopes up, there is a reason why you can’t go from 5 days in hospital to hitting Glasto. I’m home, Glasto is on TV but I’m way too wiped out and uncomfortable to do 5 hours in a car never mind wandering round Glasto.

Gutted, awful luck but roll on 2023.

10 hours ago, Northtim said:

Absolutely loving this, have a great one especially for all of us! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Northtim said:

Didn’t go to plan. Shouldn’t have got my hopes up, there is a reason why you can’t go from 5 days in hospital to hitting Glasto. I’m home, Glasto is on TV but I’m way too wiped out and uncomfortable to do 5 hours in a car never mind wandering round Glasto.

I regret my last reply. 

Take it easy! 

8 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Sorry to hear this, but your health definitely comes first. Get well soon!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Exactly. They'll be another Glastonbury, but they'll not be another you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Northtim said:

Sorry to hear that… but your health is the priority right.??

put your feet up and get the iPlayer on tomorrow… the streams from the top 5 stages have been terrific.. I have seen so much music today.!

of course there is the occasional fomo pang on certain songs/scenes but all in all I find it quite cathartic

Edited by BlueDaze