Dealing with Glasto fomo..

Gashead86

17 minutes ago, kh24 said:

So I was basically got as far as packing all my stuff, everything arranged over the weekend, and we’ve had a last-minute family emergency, sadly. I need to be here to support loved ones so there wasn’t really a decision to make. I know given the wider picture it’s not what’s important right now, but it doesn’t stop me wanting to burst into tears when I put the radio on, or catch something on IG etc.

It’s been a tough few years, and as much as anything else I was looking forward to a break. I always think of Glastonbury as being a tonic; frankly, it restores my faith in humanity. Even before the events of the last couple of days I think I just needed that this year. Once this passes I’m resolved to try and channel those good vibes in some way. Love to everyone else who feels a little bit heartbroken, and especially if you have been going through a difficult time.

I've had a Glastonbury ticket in the past and not gone to the festival. However, my decision wasn't anywhere near as selfless as yours appears to be. I hope that you get a well deserved ticket for next year's festival.

Pin on Sacrifice

• Like 1

10 hours ago, geoffboycott said:

Yeah, I loved the vibe of it, the ease of moving about, the people, the food and booze, just everything was so good.  It ticked all the boxes music wise and general vibe of it.  It suited me perfectly and like Glastonbury it's only 20 or so mins away from home.

I've had a good run at Glastonbury and many other more dance music related festivals and the 90s free parties over the last 25+ years.  We'll def try again for tickets in October, but my gut feel is EOTR is the one I'll be definitely be on the early bird again.

More than happy to meet up this year at EOTR for a beer.  Actually is there a EOTR efests meet-up?... I'll go check!

Not that I'm aware of and we go every year.

EOTR is the perfect festival for me, we've been going since the first one.

Done Glastonbury, but won't bother again as EOTR has everything I need and doesn't involve ridiculous things like queuing overnight, crazy long walks between car park and campsite, stages being literally miles away and people being smug afterwards about their experience and the festival vibe.

Also, as mentioned above, Green Man is superb. More family orientated than EOTR but also more relaxed and there's something about waking up in a tent looking at the hills and mountains that just can't be beaten. 

Plus you can go for a week if you want to and spend a few days exploring the Brecon Beacons.

58 minutes ago, benali said:

Also, as mentioned above, Green Man is superb. More family orientated than EOTR but also more relaxed and there's something about waking up in a tent looking at the hills and mountains that just can't be beaten. 

Plus you can go for a week if you want to and spend a few days exploring the Brecon Beacons.

Yeah great shout that too.  Agreed re EOTR, just ticks all the boxes, I wasn't a broken man come Monday morning either! 😄

Not FOMO just pure gutting MO. My golden ticket is at home, my Gang is at Glasto & I’m in hospital.

Never been in hospital since I had my appendix out 25 years ago, and never usually ill. Yet the Sunday before Glasto that I had so been looking forward to I went yellow with jaundice and and stuck in here with something wrong with gallbladder.

Doesn’t look like it will be anything serious or long term but doesn’t the timing suck.

Roll on 2023. I don’t suppose there is any chance of rolling the ticket over, and the rest of my group are using theirs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Killing me softly.

Sorry in advance for the really depressing post... but it's hitting me hard this year.  I always really struggle when I miss out on tickets, but fate decided to reaaaaaaaallly put the boot in. My mum died last year on what would have been the first day of the festival. So, not only am I my usual hopelessly depressed self during the festival period, but this year I also need to contend with it being the first anniversary of my mum dying. Like, I don't think I could feel more sad than I do right now. At least missing the festival is only the second most upsetting thing on my mind this weekend. 

Apologies on being a buzzkill.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, benali said:

+1 for Green Man - it must be Glastonbury's truest little sister (shares bookers for Park and Other Stage, i think the creative director of GM is the Park's Chief) so it is a really good tonic to keep the fomo at bay.

In fact having a ticket for that later in the summer is the only thing stopping me from being quite the grump at the moment. 

15 hours ago, kh24 said:

So I basically got as far as packing all my stuff, everything arranged over the weekend, and we’ve had a last-minute family emergency, sadly. I need to be here to support loved ones so there wasn’t really a decision to make. I know given the wider picture it’s not what’s important right now, but it doesn’t stop me wanting to burst into tears when I put the radio on, or catch something on IG etc.

It’s been a tough few years, and as much as anything else I was looking forward to a break. I always think of Glastonbury as being a tonic; frankly, it restores my faith in humanity. Even before the events of the last couple of days I think I just needed that this year. Once this passes I’m resolved to try and channel those good vibes in some way. Love to everyone else who feels a little bit heartbroken, and especially if you have been going through a difficult time.

I'm so sorry to hear this. That must be fucking hard.

Pleased to have found this thread, though! Group hug indeed.

I'm both embracing it and struggling, to be honest. I always listen to 6music while working from home anyway but it's felt like a bit of a masochistic experience at times this week. Cried twice yesterday! But I'm determined to engage with it a bit and I do intend to watch some of the BBC coverage. As others have said, though, it's the stuff other than the main stages that I'll really miss. And yeah all the memories of times gone by and friends I'll never go with again make it all the more poignant. As I said to a friend yesterday, the place just gets into your bloodstream.

I've been every year since 2008 except 2016, but it being so long since the last one has made it feel quite distant. So much has happened since then, loads of it shit, but while that does put things in perspective it also really makes me miss my happy place.

I chose not to try the resale as I couldn't bear waiting and not knowing so we went to Primavera instead. I'd had high hopes but I didn't really like it that much. Still got another small festival to look forward to this year, which I know is great, so that's keeping me going. And today I started talking ticket strategy with two friends who are back on board for the first time since 2015 and very enthusiastic so that's great.

To be honest I can't wait for it to be over! But I'm trying to be happy for everyone that's there. Truth is we can't all go every year.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, benali said:

Green Man is glorious. Not going this year but I loved it when we went in 2018.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, boredawn said:

Killing me softly.

Sorry in advance for the really depressing post... but it's hitting me hard this year.  I always really struggle when I miss out on tickets, but fate decided to reaaaaaaaallly put the boot in. My mum died last year on what would have been the first day of the festival. So, not only am I my usual hopelessly depressed self during the festival period, but this year I also need to contend with it being the first anniversary of my mum dying. Like, I don't think I could feel more sad than I do right now. At least missing the festival is only the second most upsetting thing on my mind this weekend. 

Apologies on being a buzzkill.

I'm really sorry to hear this. My mum died last year too and I've barely begun to deal with it. Sending love.

3 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

The news that Williams Green had to close today because so many people wanted to watch a fucking spice girl playing some records on a turntable lessens my FOMO somewhat! It just makes me think maybe this festival isn't for me anymore?

Sorry but I have to ask which Spice Girl?

Day 2 done, and I allowed myself to listen to 6music for a while during the day and watched a bit of the tv stuff this eve. 
Currently pretending it’s not happening however by watching a load of old sets from the past. 
These next 3 days are going to drag…