cash or card

RossTC

Glastonbury festival only provides Wi-Fi for the bars and that failed on various occasions, traders had to rely on mobile signal. 
With technology today and EE as a sponsor  they should be able to create a site wide Wi-Fi for the bars and traders to allow card payments.

Edited by sparkyswitch

Used cash throughout...which I was pleased with as that was my plan. I like having a certain amount everyday and stops me spending tons and tons once drunk. 

Only place I needed card was the Vegan Vice place and that was only on the Wednesday as I was their first customer and they didn't have change.

I had a bunch of old £20 notes from the last time I was in the UK in 2019… nowhere would accept them (despite them still being legal tender for another few months). I did appreciate being told to take them to a bank though (I’ll just nip up into Shepton aye)

3 hours ago, Drinky said:

I had a bunch of old £20 notes from the last time I was in the UK in 2019… nowhere would accept them (despite them still being legal tender for another few months). I did appreciate being told to take them to a bank though (I’ll just nip up into Shepton aye)

We met a guy in a crowd somewhere with an old £20 and were all ooing and aweing in amazement! We didn't realise they were still valid tender - maybe it was you? 🙂

I didn't spend much cash at all and most of what I did spend was the missus at Sticklinch pamper tent 😂

Everywhere we ate and drank actually took card, including the cider bus, but some of them had network issues from time to time. In fact, when the card system / network went down for a few of the bars, and they went cash only, cider bus was still taking card, as was the hop and liquor, so they got most of our money.

The hop and liquor card machine was having issues on Wednesday, but they did try 2 different types of card reader for me, so I used cash in there for an hour or so, until their card machine came back up. Bless them, they were literally trying the machine for every customer, so it wasn't for lack of trying. It did come back up within an hour and I never had a problem in there for the rest of the weekend, and their card payments were rapid. (I like to think they actually took my advice and went and got EE sims!!!) 

On the subject of network issues for a lot of the bars... I asked in another thread, why the hell were they not using EE? EE internet didn't miss a beat all weekend! I stood at one of the bars who told me their network was down, straight away did a speed check on EE and it came out at 302mbps with a ping low enough to game on!!! Shambles!!!

We found 2 food stalls that were cash only, and didn't eat there... Actually we found 3, but one was just trying it on. The corndog stall had a cash only poster up, I queued and didn't notice it, but did when I got to the front. I said I'd have to leave it as I only had card she said 'no we do take card, it's just cash is preferred!' 🙈😂 (My first ever corndog was consumed... Interesting... But prefer a good old battered jumbo!) 

We all 'know' why cash is prefered, let's not sugar coat it! But at the end of the day, for the customers, not carrying a lot of cash at a festival like that is so much safer!