East Car Parking Question

MrZigster

I approach the site heading North on the A37. Ultimately heading for pedestrian gate B.

Is there any way I can avoid being turned off at the Purple or Blue routes? Can I request that I head for Brown? Is it just random luck?

I got put in 13 on the below map the last time I drove which is about as far from gate B as it gets. 

Edit: I intend to arrive Tuesday afternoon/evening.

thumbnail_OFF-SITE_TRAFFIC_INFORMATION_MAP_2022_v3.thumb.jpg.7cbaf63b1b0042ca4384b07d255f6e5c.jpg

Edited by MrZigster

When did you arrive previously?  We've arrived Tuesday evening the last couple of times (sadly not this year) and been routed in via Purple but they were sending everybody through up towards car parks 1 & 2.  I know they continually switch up what they're doing so never a guarantee they'll do the same thing twice, or be doing the same thing 5 minutes later. 

On Wednesday mornings before we have also managed to skip the first exit off the road and come in via Brown - as per the hiding your sticker until the correct point idea - they can't really force you off the road!

I think it's just queue battle-scars, and if I'd been in different places in the same years then I'd hate something else instead - but I really hate gate B.  From car park 2, the last couple of times on Tuesday evenings, we've trek'd cross country to walk in through the campervan fields for gate C (ultimately going for Big Ground field) to avoid it.

22 minutes ago, p.pete said:

When did you arrive previously?  We've arrived Tuesday evening the last couple of times (sadly not this year) and been routed in via Purple but they were sending everybody through up towards car parks 1 & 2.  I know they continually switch up what they're doing so never a guarantee they'll do the same thing twice, or be doing the same thing 5 minutes later. 

On Wednesday mornings before we have also managed to skip the first exit off the road and come in via Brown - as per the hiding your sticker until the correct point idea - they can't really force you off the road!

I think it's just queue battle-scars, and if I'd been in different places in the same years then I'd hate something else instead - but I really hate gate B.  From car park 2, the last couple of times on Tuesday evenings, we've trek'd cross country to walk in through the campervan fields for gate C (ultimately going for Big Ground field) to avoid it.

Why do you hate hate B?

57 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I approach the site heading North on the A37. Ultimately heading for pedestrian gate B.

Is there any way I can avoid being turned off at the Purple or Blue routes? Can I request that I head for Brown? Is it just random luck?

I got put in 13 on the below map the last time I drove which is about as far from gate B as it gets. 

thumbnail_OFF-SITE_TRAFFIC_INFORMATION_MAP_2022_v3.thumb.jpg.7cbaf63b1b0042ca4384b07d255f6e5c.jpg

Can't answer your question I'm afraid, but I'm keen to hear the answer. 

We're aiming for as close to Gate B as possible, albeit on Thursday afternoon.

Out of interest, how long did it take to walk from car park 13 to Gate B?

35 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Why do you hate hate B?

Just felt it's been there where I've been stuck trying to get in over the years.  One year arriving ahead of friends who got parked nearer to C and they got in a few hours ahead of us - that was a Wednesday morning arrival.  Depending on how well they have the queues set up within the parking fields it's always felt like a bit of a mess - there's a nice long funnel once you get nearer to Gate B but further back out into the parking fields there's usually people arriving into the queue from lots of different directions and it all gets a bit grumbly after a few hours.

Like I say, if I'd been sent in a different direction I'd probably find something else to complain about, it might be fine one year and then get caught out somewhere else.  I think 'probably' Tuesday evening getting to B works well, because presumably you'd be in the long-lane leading up to the gate - by Wednesday morning it's (been for me) a shit show queuing round the perimeters of interconnecting parking fields before eventually getting to the long-lane.

Having said that, I quite like getting parked up that direction as it's nearest to where we camp for coming back out again 😛 

48 minutes ago, p.pete said:

When did you arrive previously?...

Tuesday evening 2017.

25 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Why do you hate hate B?

Good question. I'm aiming for Row Mead which is right next door to Big Ground. Though saying that if they park me anywhere like that again Gate C would probably be the better option.

14 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Out of interest, how long did it take to walk from car park 13 to Gate B?

Fucking forever is the answer. Twice on the way in.

Got a bit lost and ended up on the wrong side of a gate very near the gate B queue. Pointed out to security that I just needed to be on the other side of said gate and just needed to hop over/through. "No mate". Fortunately, as I was having a rest, they changed shifts and the new lot were sympathetic to my plight and let me through.

The second run nearly killed me in the heat. Actually had people checking on my welfare. Went via Gate C that time.

Kind of spoiled the festival a bit. Knackered before it started and didn't really recover. Also the distance meant that I just couldn't be arsed to do my usual go back on site for a last wander Monday after packing the car thing (Hill Of Death and all that).

It can really make all the difference where you're parked in my experience.

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Just felt it's been there where I've been stuck trying to get in over the years.  One year arriving ahead of friends who got parked nearer to C and they got in a few hours ahead of us - that was a Wednesday morning arrival.  Depending on how well they have the queues set up within the parking fields it's always felt like a bit of a mess - there's a nice long funnel once you get nearer to Gate B but further back out into the parking fields there's usually people arriving into the queue from lots of different directions and it all gets a bit grumbly after a few hours.

Like I say, if I'd been sent in a different direction I'd probably find something else to complain about, it might be fine one year and then get caught out somewhere else.  I think 'probably' Tuesday evening getting to B works well, because presumably you'd be in the long-lane leading up to the gate - by Wednesday morning it's (been for me) a shit show queuing round the perimeters of interconnecting parking fields before eventually getting to the long-lane.

Having said that, I quite like getting parked up that direction as it's nearest to where we camp for coming back out again 😛 

Overlapping posts.

Totally agree with the "a bit of a mess" thing.

Once the queue reaches a certain length (the funnel) it starts breaching off and you end up with the situation come Wednesday morning where people who have just rocked up are getting in before people who've been there overnight.

I have to say the Gate C queue seemed a lot more orderly in 2017. Just one long line from what I remember . Not a line that then starts branching off everywhere.

Hey they've only been doing it fifty years. You can't expect them to have worked everything out properly yet /s.

1 hour ago, al_coholic said:

maybe don't have your car park sticker on display and so they don't usher you into Blue or Purple. The put it on your dash/windscreen after you pass purple

This is the solution, have done the same myself but on the other side, been waved into pink but ignored them and headed to bronze, even if the gate you want isn't taking people in the worst that can happen is you get directed back to the unwanted one.

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

To be reasonably certain of Brown you need to be coming down the A37 from North to South ie from Shepton direction so that Brown is the first parking option on right when heading that direction.

Obvs you say you will be heading North on A37 but not from where so I'm making the assumption it will be from A303 and Podimore roundabout.  If that is so then head North on A37 until you reach West Lydford traffic lights and then turn right towards Castle Cary. At Castle Cary turn left onto the A371, pass the station on your right and then Bath & West showground on your left a few miles further on. At the roundabout turn immediately left onto the A37 heading South, and then (hopefully) into Brown on your right just down the hill.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

To be reasonably certain of Brown you need to be coming down the A37 from North to South ie from Shepton direction so that Brown is the first parking option on right when heading that direction.

Obvs you say you will be heading North on A37 but not from where so I'm making the assumption it will be from A303 and Podimore roundabout.  If that is so then head North on A37 until you reach West Lydford traffic lights and then turn right towards Castle Cary. At Castle Cary turn left onto the A371, pass the station on your right and then Bath & West showground on your left a few miles further on. At the roundabout turn immediately left onto the A37 heading South, and then (hopefully) into Brown on your right just down the hill.

Just the answer I was hoping for. Directions added to end of journey.

Thanks. If it works I'll buy you a pint at the meet if you're there.

Does anyone know the best way to get a parking spot in blue, fields 6-12?  We are coming from Reading and will arrive tomorrow night around 11.  We'll approach from the south (along the A303 and then up through Bruton - my mate has suggested using Thorner's Farm Shop for the satnav).  We are ultimately heading for Big Ground but want to go in through Gate C (not a fan of Gate B for the same reasons mentioned above).  In 2019 we got in earlier through C as we were in a much shorter queue, which makes the trek from the car park worth it for me.

Should we aim for Pyle lane and try and go in through the blue car park route?  Is it still pot luck from there or should that get us a spot in a blue field?  Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Just the answer I was hoping for. Directions added to end of journey.

Thanks. If it works I'll buy you a pint at the meet if you're there.

Reviewing that route we might have a problem as the Traffic Management Plan suggests the A371 is closed at Castle Cary to traffic wanting to go north, possibly because of the buses etc. Where are you starting your route from....East or West? I'll have a rethink.

27 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Reviewing that route we might have a problem as the Traffic Management Plan suggests the A371 is closed at Castle Cary to traffic wanting to go north, possibly because of the buses etc. Where are you starting your route from....East or West? I'll have a rethink.

Damn. I've just been google mapping/earthing that route fore the last few minutes.

Coming from SE Kent. As you said A303 then right at Podimore roundabout onto A37...

Edit: Might just have to go for the hide the pass thing. That's quite a long detour only to get to CC and have to turn 'round.

Edited by MrZigster

18 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Damn. I've just been google mapping/earthing that route fore the last few minutes.

Coming from SE Kent. As you said A303 then right at Podimore roundabout onto A37...

Edit: Might just have to go for the hide the pass thing. That's quite a long detour only to get to CC and have to turn 'round.

Ok so as an alternative come off A303 at Stonehenge and take A360 then B390 through Shrewton and Chitterne villages and join A36 just south east of Warminster. Head North on A36 towards Warminster then follow signs for Frome, then Shepton Mallet. That will get you approaching Shepton on A361 and South on A37 into Brown on right as before.

13 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ok so as an alternative come off A303 at Stonehenge and take A360 then B390 through Shrewton and Chitterne villages and join A36 just south east of Warminster. Head North on A36 towards Warminster then follow signs for Frome, then Shepton Mallet. That will get you approaching Shepton on A361 and South on A37 into Brown on right as before.

Is that before or after Stonehenge?

Just found a couple of alternatives myself I think.

Get to CC turn right then left onto A359 -> Left onto A361 @ Nunny Hatch -> Left onto A37 towards Shepton Mallet.

OR

From A303 to A350 Warminster then Frome A36 -> A362 -> A361 Shepton Mallet type thing. 

I have often found when approaching from the South of the A37 on Tuesday night/early Wednesday that the blue route is closed for entry and all traffic gets routed to purple anyway.

They sometimes seem to fill those up first.  I assume its to keep the campervan fields a bit quieter but maybe it's just random.  S'pose it could be mud or weather related too.

I don't mind really.  Gate B has always been fine for me.  Slightly longer queue, slightly shorter walk.  Just happy to get through those gates!!!  Good luck with your journeys.

21 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Is that before or after Stonehenge?

Just found a couple of alternatives myself I think.

Get to CC turn right then left onto A359 -> Left onto A361 @ Nunny Hatch -> Left onto A37 towards Shepton Mallet.

OR

From A303 to A350 Warminster then Frome A36 -> A362 -> A361 Shepton Mallet type thing. 

A360 is the right turn at first roundabout after you pass Stonehenge. It's  a right turn at the A303 roundabout, then a left at the next roundabout by Stonehenge visitor centre.

The CC, A359 to Bruton then Nunney Catch and A361 would work but you're going a long way west to then come back on yourself and head north.

A303/A350 to Warminster would also work perfectly but by leaving A303 at Stonehenge as above you cut off a big corner and avoid the single carriageway section of A303 after Stonehenge which gets slow.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, parsonjack said:

A360 is the right turn at first roundabout after you pass Stonehenge. It's  a right turn at the A303 roundabout, then a left at the next roundabout by Stonehenge visitor centre.

The CC, A359 to Bruton then Nunney Catch and A361 would work but you're going a long way west to then come back on yourself and head north.

A303/A350 to Warminster would also work perfectly but by leaving A303 at Stonehenge as above you cut off a big corner and avoid the single carriageway section of A303 after Stonehenge which gets slow.

Yes. I think your way is the way.

18 hours ago, Morgs747 said:

Does anyone know the best way to get a parking spot in blue, fields 6-12?  We are coming from Reading and will arrive tomorrow night around 11.  We'll approach from the south (along the A303 and then up through Bruton - my mate has suggested using Thorner's Farm Shop for the satnav).  We are ultimately heading for Big Ground but want to go in through Gate C (not a fan of Gate B for the same reasons mentioned above).  In 2019 we got in earlier through C as we were in a much shorter queue, which makes the trek from the car park worth it for me.

Should we aim for Pyle lane and try and go in through the blue car park route?  Is it still pot luck from there or should that get us a spot in a blue field?  Thanks for any help.

17 hours ago, MrZigster said:

17 hours ago, parsonjack said:

We're in a camper this year but due to childcare issues Mrs B isn't joining me until Friday AM. I was looking at a route for her which would get her into Purple car parks, ideally 8/9 so she's close to the camper. I've instructed her to ignore contrary instructions and just head for 8/9 and find a spot if it seems at all possible and like she could get away with it. 

My planned route was coming from the SW up the A303, turning off at Podimore and heading north up the A37. 

Is this likely to be possible on Friday morning? Coach traffic won't be an issue at that point. 

4 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

We're in a camper this year but due to childcare issues Mrs B isn't joining me until Friday AM. I was looking at a route for her which would get her into Purple car parks, ideally 8/9 so she's close to the camper. I've instructed her to ignore contrary instructions and just head for 8/9 and find a spot if it seems at all possible and like she could get away with it. 

My planned route was coming from the SW up the A303, turning off at Podimore and heading north up the A37. 

Is this likely to be possible on Friday morning? Coach traffic won't be an issue at that point. 

Yup north up A37 from Podimore is the puppy.  She'll get directed into Blue Route/Purple parking from that direction. Should be very little traffic by Friday AM.

Hi all, quick question.

Staying in Frome tonight and heading to site at like 2am. 

On the website it says to approach site via A303 and then head north on the A37, however, I was wondering if we can approach from the North on the a361 and head south down the A37?

Were aiming to que at gate B for Big Ground or Webbs Ash. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Buzzin to be in the Farm