The coat dilemma

Mizydoscape

So I have an ancient Berghaus goretex waterproof that has seen me through many festivals in the past. Been washed and reproofed many times. It has now been demoted to my horsey coat and most recently kept me 90% dry during a riding lesson in the most biblical rain. It could be washed and reproofed again before I leave.

For day to day wear I have replaced the Berghaus with a Joules waterproof that has seen light service and packs up smaller. It's also knee length whereas the Berghaus is shorter. However, it hasn't seen any proper rain and therefore is untested.

Help me decide which goes in my bag this week please!

I also have a coat dilemma...

Coming in my van so can bring all the below options with me. The question is, which do I take out and about with me. Obviously I can be guided by daily weather forecasts too. 

• Coat 1 - rain poncho. Will always be in my bag, totally waterproof, offers limited insulating properties. 
  • Coat 2 - Waterproof jacket. High level of waterproofness. Very lightweight, packs down small, a bit of warmth as elasticated sleeves and bottom seal in air. 
  • Coat 3 - Regatta fleece lined raincoat. Lovely and warm, very waterproof, but quite bulky. 

I'm actually not sure what my question is tbh. I suppose I want to know if you think it's worth carrying the regatta coat around site. Maybe I should put it in a lockup? If it's cold at night it'd be great to have. 

Edited by blutarsky

29 minutes ago, Mizydoscape said:

So I have an ancient Berghaus goretex waterproof that has seen me through many festivals in the past. Been washed and reproofed many times. It has now been demoted to my horsey coat and most recently kept me 90% dry during a riding lesson in the most biblical rain. It could be washed and reproofed again before I leave.

For day to day wear I have replaced the Berghaus with a Joules waterproof that has seen light service and packs up smaller. It's also knee length whereas the Berghaus is shorter. However, it hasn't seen any proper rain and therefore is untested.

Packable waterproof, with a poncho in reserve as a second layer (also goes over rucksacks/bags) is my top tip. I’m a veteran of 2005, 2007 and 2016, plus the biblical thunderstorm in 2014!! I have a brilliant Rab  hard shell (trekking/hiking, but I don’t take it to Glasto or other festivals. Might stick the waterproof trousers in the car though, just in case.

If it was me i'd go with the tried and tested Berghaus.

I used to do a lot of outdoor pursuits and Berghaus are a long standing outdoor brand, been around for donkey's years. I could be wrong but Joules are more of a fashion brand, not sure i'd trust them as much as Berghaus. 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Coming in my van so can bring all the below options with me. The question is, which do I take out and about with me. Obviously I can be guided by daily weather forecasts too. 

• Coat 1 - rain poncho. Will always be in my bag, totally waterproof, offers limited insulating properties. 
  • Coat 2 - Waterproof jacket. High level of waterproofness. Very lightweight, packs down small, a bit of warmth as elasticated sleeves and bottom seal in air. 
  • Coat 3 - Regatta fleece lined raincoat. Lovely and warm, very waterproof, but quite bulky. 

I'm actually not sure what my question is tbh. I suppose I want to know if you think it's worth carrying the regatta coat around site. Maybe I should put it in a lockup? If it's cold at night it'd be great to have. 

surely number 2, without a doubt for most days. If you have a tshirt and jumper under it you'll be fine even at night i think + its lightweight

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

1 and 2 sound great for a summer festival, especially assuming you're wearing layers with either long sleeves or jumper, fleece underneath?

3 sounds potentially a bit more autumn or winter, but depends on definition of bulky I guess.

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

surely number 2, without a doubt for most days. If you have a tshirt and jumper under it you'll be fine even at night i think + its lightweight

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

1 and 2 sound great for a summer festival, especially assuming you're wearing layers with either long sleeves or jumper, fleece underneath?

3 sounds potentially a bit more autumn or winter, but depends on definition of bulky I guess.

Carrying a hoody and long sleeve t shirt around too adds to the bulk in my bag, and then I may as well have had the coat, no? 

1 hour ago, Mizydoscape said:

Ask the question 3 days ago and then test the new one in the showers 😉 

1.  I have taken something before which I had bought specially for the rain and unfortunately it didn't keep the rain off me - which was pretty uncomfortable

2.  It seems a much better place to be wearing a coat which isn't your newest and best?  Don't need to worry about spills and can happily sit on it.  Maybe think of something else to cover the areas it doesn't protect for an emergency?

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Carrying a hoody and long sleeve t shirt around too adds to the bulk in my bag, and then I may as well have had the coat, no? 

In my case I'll maybe wear a couple of those layers, especially if one or two of the evenings are a bit fresher.  I'd just want something to slip over the top to firstly be a wind break and secondly keep any showers off.

It depends how bulky - clearly if wearing it just means you're too warm on a summer evening then it's just unnecessary weight.

2 hours ago, Bags73 said:

Take the warmest and comfiest one and get a disposable emergency poncho to put over the top in case it lets water in.

Ponchos are a terrible idea as they are not breathable at all and you'll get wet from the inside out. Current thinking is that shakedry offers the best compromise between a waterproof membrane while still having high airflow metrics but I would hasten against recommending ponchos or binbags if you're intending on doing anything but standing still.

10 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Packable waterproof, with a poncho in reserve as a second layer (also goes over rucksacks/bags) is my top tip. I’m a veteran of 2005, 2007 and 2016, plus the biblical thunderstorm in 2014!! I have a brilliant Rab  hard shell (trekking/hiking, but I don’t take it to Glasto or other festivals. Might stick the waterproof trousers in the car though, just in case.

Joules pack away Mac every time. Heavy waterproofs take longer to dry out but lightweight macs just shake off the water.

I also have a waterproof poncho if the rain becomes heavy.

I brought out an old military style jacket from retirement just for the fest. And will have a hoodie under that. Then likely a ball cap and a scarf or mask for the wind. Thats enough when youre in crowds and such. Also easy to remove if you were entering like the Downlow in the wee hours. Have a poncho but thats not even going in my pack til saturday at this rate.

It goes in that order for me:

-T shirt (light cotton or quick dry)

-Long sleeve thin thermo (those are magic

-Decent fleece

-Poncho

Will drop my thick north face coat in the car should the temperatures drop under 10 degrees in the last days.

For the legs:

-Shorts

-Thermo but stylish leggings

- Rain paints if it's armuddageddon

To be packed in the daybag depending on the morning's weather forecast / dropped off at a lock up.

21 hours ago, Mizydoscape said:

You need your old faithful. You know it's comfortable, you know it's up to the job.

Test you new one out over the next year and you can take it when it's proven itself.

All the points for People Rain Poncho - totally waterproof, breathable material, made specifically to be worn over a bike, works wonderfully at covering self and rucksack (if you partake in the old backpack wearing) folds up into a sling around your body type bag.

Minuses - doesn't actually keep you warm but positives you can wear as many layers underneath as you like.

Takes seconds to get it out and get it on😉

Sorry none of that helps with OPs packing dilemma but might help others when making choices or purchases another year.