Car parks at 9pm, not 4pm as per the recent confusing email! (Someone on another group queried it).

PassingCloud

56 minutes ago, I feel like Pablo said:

Can confirm I also emailed and was given the same information. My only thought is maybe they are opening at 4pm but not advertising it as so? You'd think they would write a retraction sharpish if they didn't want people coming at 4pm. 

it can't not open at 4 now, they probably like the confusion and a more even arrival spread 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SighMo said:

I'm sure we were well before 9pm in 2019 and sailed on in.

There were people queuing at gate b from about 5 or 6pm on the Tuesday in 2019. Not huge amounts, probs about fifty or so when I went past at that time. I recall thinking they must be nuts 

24 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

There were people queuing at gate b from about 5 or 6pm on the Tuesday in 2019. Not huge amounts, probs about fifty or so when I went past at that time. I recall thinking they must be nuts 

Think we arrived at gate B carpark at about 8pm. Must've been in the first 100 or so in the queue. May leave an hour earlier this year.

9 hours ago, mrfunk said:

So has this been officially retracted?

Yes, official page wording now changed - 

As usual, car parks will open at 9pm on Tuesday, allowing Festival-goers to arrive throughout the night, when traffic volumes are low. There will, however, be no entertainment or facilities (other than toilets) in the car parks and Festival-goers will be expected to remain in their cars until the Festival gates open at 8am on Wednesday morning. Please bring a reusable bottle of water with you, to stay hydrated while you are waiting.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/

I suspect they're not allowed to open them before 9pm under the license, but would be quite pleased if people turned up early and they 'felt compelled' to open for road safety reasons. If I were a more cynical man I might even suggest the confusing wording of the email was a deliberate ploy to encourage people to arrive early while maintaining plausible deniability of having done so, for the benefit of Mendip Council. 

Maybe @Dukeicon can confirm? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I suspect they're not allowed to open them before 9pm under the license, but would be quite pleased if people turned up early and they 'felt compelled' to open for road safety reasons. If I were a more cynical man I might even suggest the confusing wording of the email was a deliberate ploy to encourage people to arrive early while maintaining plausible deniability of having done so, for the benefit of Mendip Council. 

Maybe @Dukeicon can confirm? 

Haven't a clue sorry!

If people are queuing to get into the car park early, police have every right to move people on.

I'm wondering if the rail strikes, and potential increase in car arrivals, have allowed for the early opening of the car parks. Certainly a good way to spread out the traffic more if they are anticipating more cars this year.