Tent theft is it a thing?

Mich1268

My sons and mates are travelling by coach and getting in late. I am going to put their tents up as I get there early. My son keeps saying "mum, what if you put them up and somebody sees them empty and either nicks them or moves them?" Not camping in Pennards. Thinking pyramid side or oxlyers. Is it really that risky? 

Theft from inside tents can happen (unfortunately), but other than for pranks I'm not sure theft of an entire tent would be that profitable a criminal enterprise? I imagine it's easier to resell stolen phones or cash or abuse stolen bank cards than it is to turn a whole tent (minus the pegs) into cash!

You'll all be fine 🙂

6 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

My sons and mates are travelling by coach and getting in late. I am going to put their tents up as I get there early. My son keeps saying "mum, what if you put them up and somebody sees them empty and either nicks them or moves them?" Not camping in Pennards. Thinking pyramid side or oxlyers. Is it really that risky? 

You won’t have tents stolen. In the 15 years I’ve been going I’ve heard of a few instances of belongings inside tents being stolen and I had my stuff rifled through once but nothing taken. The tent will be fine. 

31 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

No.

Pre the mega fence maybe as people used to just rock up with nowt, sneak in and steal all they required for a good time (we got robbed in 98), but since the fence it's a lot better; there are always opportunists about so leaving valuables about isn't a good idea (use lock-ups as already suggested) but your tent is unlikely to go walkabout.

Before the superfence went up in 2002, thefts of tents were a major problem.

Loads of people used to jump the fence, and while most did so relatively harmlessly (myself included), significant numbers of criminals from all over the country would also descend on Glastonbury with the sole intention of robbing the punters blind. They brought very little with them, as anything they needed (including tents) could be easily nicked on site.

Thankfully thefts of tents are very rare these days, but you should still keep valuables in the lockups as people do still get things nicked out of tents.

Edited by doogie

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Reminder to use the festival lockups for anything of any value … you’ll be absolutely fine then 

Echo this, i've used them every year. A must for me having a peaceful mind. Could never leave cash just waiting to be taken. Not to mention losing your car Keys etc.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, robbie1983 said:

Not a thing. 

Not whole tents but stuff from inside.. Even when asleep 

Keep everything on you at all times.. Boots at bottom of sleeping bag.. 

It is a thing but not as bad nowadays.. 

29 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

There isn't anything stopping anyone/foragers getting onto the site Monday morning so I would recommend not leaving your tent for too long then in case someone thinks it's been abandoned so take it to sell it on

This 

Never known any tent to be stolen, but in some of the busy popular camping spots I have seen the occasional tent being "moved" to allow others to set-up their mega tents for their group.

As others have said sadly there are tent thefts during the festival - my mates had wallets nicked from inside the tent while they slept a few years ago. While its rare just let be aware about flashing around large amounts of cash or cards, and keep an eye on who might be checking out your tent and gear. Popping valuables, cash and cards in the lock ups over night is the best idea, just to be on the same site

4 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

Tell your son to catch himself on and if he doesn't then don't pitch his tent 

Let him worry about not being there himself 

If you find someone has squatted in your tent, it’s your own ruddy fault for buying yet another F&B 4.1. Accidents happen!

In all seriousness, as others have said vigilance over valuables or using the lockups is wise. Your tents will be fine especially before everything kicks off! The number of empty tents set up by friends before they arrive is sizeable.

…crap we were supposed to be doing that this year… oh well they can sort themselves on Thursday! Oops!