Which route to take, where to park and camp Wednesday afternoon

dingbat2

Sorry I know there are a lot of other threads on where to camp, but thought I would add another!

We normally arrive on Thursday afternoon, and head from the east on the M3/A303 then turn off at Wincanton, head up through Castle Carey, then across the E Compton Road through Pilton, before parking in a West Car park, to Gate A and then camp in Pylon or Rivermead. 

We have decided to go on Wednesday this year, so plan to arrive early afternoon. So what is the traffic through Pilton like around Wednesday lunchtime, will there be large queues through the village and will we be able to take that route or will we be forced to park in one of the East Car parks?

Also, how much space is there on Wedensay afternoon. We alway head to Pylon/Gate A as it is usually one of the few fields which has some space left, although not sure this year as some of Pylon has been taken over by hospitality camping. Will the be much space in other fields Wednesday afternoon, especially if we have to park in the East Car parks and head toward PGB for example?

Any advice from Wdnesday lunchtime/afternoon arrivers much appreciated!

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Sorry I know there are a lot of other threads on where to camp, but thought I would add another!

We normally arrive on Thursday afternoon, and head from the east on the M3/A303 then turn off at Wincanton, head up through Castle Carey, then across the E Compton Road through Pilton, before parking in a West Car park, to Gate A and then camp in Pylon or Rivermead. 

We have decided to go on Wednesday this year, so plan to arrive early afternoon. So what is the traffic through Pilton like around Wednesday lunchtime, will there be large queues through the village and will we be able to take that route or will we be forced to park in one of the East Car parks?

Also, how much space is there on Wedensay afternoon. We alway head to Pylon/Gate A as it is usually one of the few fields which has some space left, although not sure this year as some of Pylon has been taken over by hospitality camping. Will the be much space in other fields Wednesday afternoon, especially if we have to park in the East Car parks and head toward PGB for example?

Any advice from Wdnesday lunchtime/afternoon arrivers much appreciated!

Thanks!

Main problem with this is that you won't be able to drive through Pilton village from East to West unless you have village/crew/special passes to allow you to do so.

If you come up A371 from Castle Cary you'll only have the option of East parking (Purple) if you turn left onto A37 as the right turn onto A361 and the village will be closed to you unless above.  If you want West parking then probably best to stay on A371 and head into Shepton Mallet then out West on A371 to Wells, then south on A39 towards Glastonbury to loop round and approach from the West on A361.

The alternative would be to leave A303 at Stonehenge and cross country it to Warminster then Frome, pick up the A361 east out of Frome, then through Shepton to Wells etc as above.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Main problem with this is that you won't be able to drive through Pilton village from East to West unless you have village/crew/special passes to allow you to do so.

If you come up A371 from Castle Cary you'll only have the option of East parking (Purple) if you turn left onto A37 as the right turn onto A361 and the village will be closed to you unless above.  If you want West parking then probably best to stay on A371 and head into Shepton Mallet then out West on A371 to Wells, then south on A39 towards Glastonbury to loop round and approach from the West on A361.

The alternative would be to leave A303 at Stonehenge and cross country it to Warminster then Frome, pick up the A361 east out of Frome, then through Shepton to Wells etc as above.  

Thanks, I didnt know they closed the route East to West through Pilton, though not surprised, that road is OK on the Thursday. Not too sure the best, quietest route to get there at the moment if we are looking to head to the West car parks, coming from Norfolk. Or just head for the East car parks, but then not too sure where would he the best place to camp which will still have space in it?

40 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Hi, has anyone got any advice for a virgin Wednesday arriver?! Thanks

There will be plenty of camping space on Wednesday afternoon on the west side of the site, apart from Pennards and Oxylers. The east side around the pyramid will be busy but you should be able to squeeze in somewhere. 

If you are coming from Norfolk and are heading to the west side, you could get on the M4>A46>Bath>A36>A39>Wells>Glastonbury

1 hour ago, al_coholic said:

There will be plenty of camping space on Wednesday afternoon on the west side of the site, apart from Pennards and Oxylers. The east side around the pyramid will be busy but you should be able to squeeze in somewhere. 

If you are coming from Norfolk and are heading to the west side, you could get on the M4>A46>Bath>A36>A39>Wells>Glastonbury

Thats very helpful thanks! I was wondering whether to go M4 then down and keep with the west car parks, or brave it and go M3, then up and head to East car parks

17 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Yes that was the one I was thinking, I just wasnt sure if it was a good idea or even possible with all the road closures they put in place during the festival?

I have a feeling it'll be fine, no idea on the road closures. We've never had a problem getting to orange gate from the east.

Orange gate is here if you were headed the same way - https://goo.gl/maps/vuJHbLx3o2QC31a4A

2 minutes ago, Boddah said:

I have a feeling it'll be fine, no idea on the road closures. We've never had a problem getting to orange gate from the east.

Orange gate is here if you were headed the same way - https://goo.gl/maps/vuJHbLx3o2QC31a4A

Is that the route you take? And do you travel on Wednesday (as they reopen some of the roads on Thursday) Thanks

Just now, dingbat2 said:

Is that the route you take? And do you travel on Wednesday (as they reopen some of the roads on Thursday) Thanks

We travel down wednesday around 5am, we've always just tried to skirt around the edge of the festival. Pretty sure we've gone through pilton to get to the west side of the site before. Always seems to be rammed on the east side, then we'll get over the west side and it's clear.

1 minute ago, Boddah said:

We travel down wednesday around 5am, we've always just tried to skirt around the edge of the festival. Pretty sure we've gone through pilton to get to the west side of the site before. Always seems to be rammed on the east side, then we'll get over the west side and it's clear.

Thats the route we usually take but i though the East to West road to the north of the site through Pilton (A361) was closed on Wednesdays?

Hi, didn't want to start a new thread so thought I'd ask here.

We're leaving West Midlands at 05:00 tomorrow, hoping to arrive at around 07.30.

All but one of my 6 Glastonbury's, we've parked on Orange Car Park. Every year there seems to be hassle with the exact post code (in 2019, the postcode on the website took me to the wrong side of the festival somehow). Someone from here told me a postcode for a car garage which is opposite Orange Car Park entrance (BA6 8NB). I can't remember how this works, but I've read of people being 'diverted'. Surely, I can just drive directly to Orange Car Park using this post code? Where else might they divert us, to Pink?

On Glastonbury website now, it suggests using postcode TA11 7DP... which is a 15 minute drive further south of the festival!!!

11 minutes ago, Boddah said:

Pretty sure we've gone through pilton to get to the west side of the site before. 

I'm certain this is what we've always done, even though it kinda tells you not to. 

I had the same question as the original poster actually...  as the info on the website suggests you can't do this, I am CERTAIN we have done most years.

Why is it despite going numerous times I can still get myself in a panic the night before about which journey to take?

FWIW, I think I will be taking the >Bath>A36>A39>Wells>Glastonbury. I think that's what we did last time, although that was Wednesday night. 

19 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

We're leaving West Midlands at 05:00 tomorrow, hoping to arrive at around 07.30.

All but one of my 6 Glastonbury's, we've parked on Orange Car Park. Every year there seems to be hassle with the exact post code (in 2019, the postcode on the website took me to the wrong side of the festival somehow). Someone from here told me a postcode for a car garage which is opposite Orange Car Park entrance (BA6 8NB). I can't remember how this works, but I've read of people being 'diverted'. Surely, I can just drive directly to Orange Car Park using this post code? Where else might they divert us, to Pink?

On Glastonbury website now, it suggests using postcode TA11 7DP... which is a 15 minute drive further south of the festival!!!

Orange gate

Coordinates are these  51.158306, -2.609000
Maps link to exact location  https://goo.gl/maps/WKfFwUF5ZHnVMZwL9

Edited by Boddah

21 minutes ago, Boddah said:

Orange gate

Coordinates are these  51.158306, -2.609000
Maps link to exact location  https://goo.gl/maps/WKfFwUF5ZHnVMZwL9

Excellent, thanks. That's metres from the post code I have so should be fine.

Just really don't want to be forced to go somewhere else other than Orange as there's 18 of us trying to meet at the same point.

4 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Excellent, thanks. That's metres from the post code I have so should be fine.

Just really don't want to be forced to go somewhere else other than Orange as there's 18 of us trying to meet at the same point.

You'll be fine as long as you stay well away from the site until you're on the west side, the route i posted above is probs best.

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

We usually park Pink/orange. Down the M5 to J23 then follow the sat nav to the festival post code through street and glastonbury - usually come across orange first and if full they push you up to pink

2 hours ago, Boddah said:

In previous years the junction of A361 and A37 hasn't been closed until 0800 on Weds morning which would have allowed you to travel through Pilton East-West if you were early enough.  The junction is closed this year from 0001 this morning (Tuesday) however so it's a no-go from here on.

2 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Is there a way to bypass pink and get straight into the orange car park then? We're going in via Gate D and arriving probably 10am ish tomorrow. Last time we went we arrived about the same time but ended up in pink 55 which was a trek to say the least. Any way to cut that down would be great!!

Only way to have Orange as an option is to approach the site on A361 from Glastonbury town....even then you are at the mercy of the marshalls and whether they direct you to Pink or Orange.

• Upvote 1

Thanks parsonjack for your help, I think Somerton > Street > Galstonbury > West car park is probably the way we will head. One more question if you dont mind, you mentioned the A361/A37 junction will be closed. Will the whole of the A361 from their to Pilton, East to West be closed? Just wondered if heading North at that junction towards Shepton Mallet then down the B3136 to rejoin at Pilton is possible at all. Thanks for you help!