Isle of Wight 2023

galbani

11 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Jamie T is nowhere near big enough tbh, if anywhere at IOW I can see him headlining the Big Top. 

Doing Finsbury Park which both Ezra and Fender done this summer.  I’d imagine that’s the sort of thing Lewis Capaldi would do too

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Doing Finsbury Park which both Ezra and Fender done this summer.  I’d imagine that’s the sort of thing Lewis Capaldi would do too

Perhaps then, though I feel like Ezra and Fender are closer to the usual IOW audience. I could see Jamie subbing someone like The Killers perhaps. 

18 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Perhaps then, though I feel like Ezra and Fender are closer to the usual IOW audience. I could see Jamie subbing someone like The Killers perhaps. 

Yeah never know mate, just a prediction that I normally get very wrong 😂

I dunno, it’s not like IOW have the strongest set of headliners every year so just because he’s not The Killers or Ed Sheeran I wouldn’t rule him out. I could see Jamie T being a co-headliner with someone like Disclosure or Bicep playing after him like when The Black Keys and Prodigy played.

6 minutes ago, retrokev said:

jamie t is enjoyable but never a headliner.will b a bigtop 2nd third down at best

I think your underestimating how big Jamie T is nowadays. Jamie T is headlining a 45k London show next year whilst the Big Top had Shaggy as headliner this year and plays London venues like Shepherd’s Bush Empire.

39 minutes ago, jump said:

I think your underestimating how big Jamie T is nowadays. Jamie T is headlining a 45k London show next year whilst the Big Top had Shaggy as headliner this year and plays London venues like Shepherd’s Bush Empire.

i know that but also know he has not been round for 3 years and so people fans as myself will want to see again at finsbury or tour dates .also new album out.

3 minutes ago, retrokev said:

i know that but also know he has not been round for 3 years and so people fans as myself will want to see again at finsbury or tour dates .also new album out.

I'm not really sure what your reasoning is here, lots of artists take breaks and have new albums but I don't know how you're dotting that to say he can only be 3rd down or a tent headliner. He's came back with a new album which went to number 1 and is playing a lot bigger gigs than before like the 40k Finsbury Park show so that is a sizable difference to the Big Top headliners this year like Happy Mondays and Shaggy. 

22 hours ago, jump said:

I'm not really sure what your reasoning is here, lots of artists take breaks and have new albums but I don't know how you're dotting that to say he can only be 3rd down or a tent headliner. He's came back with a new album which went to number 1 and is playing a lot bigger gigs than before like the 40k Finsbury Park show so that is a sizable difference to the Big Top headliners this year like Happy Mondays and Shaggy. 

well on that thought i think the coral and the charlatans are bigger than the kooks,but they headlined sunday. also 2 door and catfish have done big outdoor gigs but never headlined iow. having been to every iow since restarted and seeing who they book imo jamie t would b3 or 4th main and sub bigtop.we will see though. im off to pompey gig and last saw southampton. i could see him headlining victorious castle stage

17 minutes ago, retrokev said:

well on that thought i think the coral and the charlatans are bigger than the kooks,but they headlined sunday. also 2 door and catfish have done big outdoor gigs but never headlined iow. having been to every iow since restarted and seeing who they book imo jamie t would b3 or 4th main and sub bigtop.we will see though. im off to pompey gig and last saw southampton. i could see him headlining victorious castle stage

The Kooks sold out their tour, they’re defo bigger than the couple you listed.  

Jamie T is playing Finsbury Park, Sold out his tour and had a number 1 album.  I’d be amazed if he played anywhere near you predicted if he plays at all. 

On 8/7/2022 at 11:33 AM, jump said:

I dunno, it’s not like IOW have the strongest set of headliners every year so just because he’s not The Killers or Ed Sheeran I wouldn’t rule him out. I could see Jamie T being a co-headliner with someone like Disclosure or Bicep playing after him like when The Black Keys and Prodigy played.

I doubt they'd book such modern dance acts - both are likely a bit expensive now for a closing set too, disclosure especially who are headlining Boardmasters this weekend for instance.

I could see chems back or Prodigy maybe as closing sets, prodigy probably a prime booking as they will have a reduced fee vs a few years ago i'd have thought. PSB nailed on if touring i think

20 hours ago, sisco said:

Having another guess as I believe he’s touring again next summer….

Pet Shop Boys

The 1975

Sam Fender

I reckon sam might only do R&L and then like TRNSMT to be honest

• 3 weeks later...

Coldplay would be a terrific get for IOW, particularly given I feel they've battled a sliding scale when it has come to headliner size for a few years.

That is an unquestioned stadium act to exceed the big pick they had with Muse this time around. Throw in The 1975 - likely a bigger draw than both Lewis Capaldi and Kasabian, given the latter have been working their way back under their new iteration - and Pet Shop Boys, a band whose catalogue depth and live show sales begs the question why they haven't had bigger festival spots before, and you've got a very tidy - if quite unchallenged - trio there.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Coldplay would be a terrific get for IOW, particularly given I feel they've battled a sliding scale when it has come to headliner size for a few years.

That is an unquestioned stadium act to exceed the big pick they had with Muse this time around. Throw in The 1975 - likely a bigger draw than both Lewis Capaldi and Kasabian, given the latter have been working their way back under their new iteration - and Pet Shop Boys, a band whose catalogue depth and live show sales begs the question why they haven't had bigger festival spots before, and you've got a very tidy - if quite unchallenged - trio there.

There's no way IOW are getting Coldplay, let alone 1975 as well after the lineups they've been booking recently.

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I think it's more that IOW have taken a conscious decision not to engage in that fight. They've deliberately taken a step back from where they were until about 10 years ago. Rather than book the huge big money acts that cost a bomb and so need a near sell out at high prices, they've gone a tier or two down and instead focused on the "family trip out" market. They've realised that by charging less they can still draw 50k+ each year comfortably, and so presumably have less reliance on the specific lineup to turn a profit.

It makes it a festival I'm less likely to go to, and means the lineups are often going to get slated somewhere like here, but I think it has worked quite well for them - I can't remember which year it was but I remember an announcement get ripped apart on here due to the (lack of) size and credibility of the acts, but at the same time their facebook comments were amongst the most universally positive I've seen for any festival announcement.

• Upvote 2

On 9/11/2022 at 1:39 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

might have to sleep in my tent through that weekend lol

On 9/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, gfa said:

There's no way IOW are getting Coldplay, let alone 1975 as well after the lineups they've been booking recently.

Only time will tell! (I've not missed an announcement, have I? Been off the grid for a few days.)

On 9/11/2022 at 6:28 PM, incident said:

I think it's more that IOW have taken a conscious decision not to engage in that fight. They've deliberately taken a step back from where they were until about 10 years ago. Rather than book the huge big money acts that cost a bomb and so need a near sell out at high prices, they've gone a tier or two down and instead focused on the "family trip out" market. They've realised that by charging less they can still draw 50k+ each year comfortably, and so presumably have less reliance on the specific lineup to turn a profit.

It makes it a festival I'm less likely to go to, and means the lineups are often going to get slated somewhere like here, but I think it has worked quite well for them - I can't remember which year it was but I remember an announcement get ripped apart on here due to the (lack of) size and credibility of the acts, but at the same time their facebook comments were amongst the most universally positive I've seen for any festival announcement.

Will absolutely concur with this, feels right on the money! (Metaphorical money, of course.)

• 2 weeks later...