Car parks opening at 4pm

Fred Zepplin

9 minutes ago, uscore said:

Eek, why are the filling up the outer ones first?? Seems very unfair

It always feels so random (and unfair). I’ll be in the queue and they'll be flagging everyone in to Orange then suddenly as I roll up bam, they turn the other way directing me to purple. Every single year except once 😩 I think it’s the same curse when the lights turn to red upon my approach 

I came through from Bristol to Shepton Mallet and I was directed toward the Purple. I'm not sure where else people are being directed from other locations. I'm not too familiar with the area either, sorry. I asked an volunteer directing cars and he said he hadn't a clue. He did tell me I'm about 40 mins to an hour walk away from the gate. 

There are lots of people here. No traffic on my way at all, but many people are arriving in a steady stream. A lot seem to be going  straight to the queue.

I should clarify that. I asked person directing traffic. "Which gate are people coming from Glastonbury being directed to?" And his exact reply was "haven't a clue mate". 

Signal is awful. Have to keep refreshing to get online. 

10 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not sure possibly gate A opens slightly earlier than others … but it has all the pressure from the public transport … different every year I’d say … just depends when the gate crew are ready for us 

It's more about the site being declared safe (fences in place, construction stuff out of public areas), which is audited before gates can open, and then event control giving the order to open - the time of which should be fairly consistent across Pedestrian Gates. I've heard the suggestion that Gate A opens first but I suspect that more often than not the difference is minor (like 5 minutes), and is primarily because that's where ME does the ceremonial opening.

All component parts of the Gate Crew come on shift at 6am, so unless there's some gate specific issue they should be ready to go by about 6:15 at the latest - it doesn't take long to put people in position and brief them.

4 hours ago, D-Low said:

It always feels so random (and unfair). I’ll be in the queue and they'll be flagging everyone in to Orange then suddenly as I roll up bam, they turn the other way directing me to purple. Every single year except once 😩 I think it’s the same curse when the lights turn to red upon my approach 

Same for me.  Always Pink 55. I consider it a win when I'm on the other side of the road to be honest...

Made it to orange once and Yellow, glorious Yellow once in my 8 years of driving.  Last two have been on the coach...

4 hours ago, uscore said:

Eek, why are the filling up the outer ones first?? Seems very unfair

From the festivals perspective, the perfect scenario would be nobody arrives before gates open, and arrivals are evenly spread after that.

Car parks opening early is mitigation for the fact that people do turn up before gates open, in an attempt to ensure they don't block the road (see: 2009) - it's not something the festival would want to do by choice.

Certainly, there's no reason for them to (effectively) reward people who are ultimately making their life more difficult. They'll put people wherever makes sense at that moment in time.

A few years back I got a lift with my mate on the Wednesday, and we were put in purple car parks absolutely bloody miles away from gate c at least a 45min walk - my missus drove in on the Thursday and knackered up the directions, coming in on the other side, bring out in yellow and I have no idea how she did it, but ending up parked about 150 yards from gate a. The filling method makes absolutely no rational sense, sometimes it’s great and sometimes absolutely dreadful 

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

"As in previous years, there will be no amplified entertainment on the Wednesday, with the main music stages not kicking off until Friday."

Err. Not quite true is this? For sure its lower volume but aplifiers are involved...

Yes that’s not true. Less this year but there were still amplifiers playing music in the SEC at various places including Gas Tower / Arcadia Bug. 

In 2019, Greenpeace stage had a full line up. Even Crooners Corner is amplified!