Football 2022/23

charlierc

On 8/8/2022 at 6:00 PM, Gerard the Fab said:

Uniteds changing room is looking like it’s about to be properly tasty. Rabiot and Arnautovic coming in

Sadly they backed out of the banter signing that would've been Arnautovic, reportedly because the fans weren't impressed. Rabiot looks like a possibility though.

16 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Prepare for some shite football this weekend - it's almost always rubbish in this heat, especially when you're not used to it.

Yeah. I'm not expecting there to be a great deal many 4-3 scoreathons. Might also be a more downbeat crowd as well I think as being in such hot sunshine in uncovered stands would be intense.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:00 PM, Gerard the Fab said:

Uniteds changing room is looking like it’s about to be properly tasty. Rabiot and Arnautovic coming in

I've heard a lot of people saying Rabiot is quite a volatile presence in the dressing room, but given how they're likely feeling after they just getting demolished by Brentford so soon after a similar defeat by Brighton under Rangnick, could such a presence really make things that more moody?

Way too early to say if ETH has what it takes are United but it's good to see someone properly get at the players, getting them in on their day off for training etc. It's been needed for years. I have to be careful not to slag them off too much thought before we play them next week, don't want it coming back to bite me 😄 

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Way too early to say if ETH has what it takes are United but it's good to see someone properly get at the players, getting them in on their day off for training etc. It's been needed for years

Fairly sure all managers since Fergie have done it at least once. Sad state of affairs when it has to be done after 2 games!

Utd have an absolute nightmare in the next 2 months. Liverpool, Saints, Leicester, Arsenal, Palace, Leeds, Man City, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham, Chelsea. 

Dear Mrs Bird GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Utd have an absolute nightmare in the next 2 months. Liverpool, Saints, Leicester, Arsenal, Palace, Leeds, Man City, Everton, Newcastle, Tottenham, Chelsea. 

TEN WON'T LAST TEN GAMES

Edited by Neil

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Fairly sure all managers since Fergie have done it at least once. Sad state of affairs when it has to be done after 2 games!

Oh have they? The squad really is rotten to the core though, massive overhaul needed. United need to accept mediocrity for a few years whilst they have a massive reset. Happens to all clubs eventually. 

Realistically what's a successful season for United this year? Top 6 and a cup?

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Oh have they? The squad really is rotten to the core though, massive overhaul needed. United need to accept mediocrity for a few years whilst they have a massive reset. Happens to all clubs eventually. 

Realistically what's a successful season for United this year? Top 6 and a cup?

A team with Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay and Fred in it? Top 6 alone would be a huge achievement. City, LFC, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and arguably Leicester, Newcastle and West Ham have better starting 11s now. 

Mad when you look at the squad and some of the players still there. Players like Luke Shaw still expected to come good. Its his 9th season at the club. 🙄

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I wonder if Man Utd are happy that Tuchel v Conte and their bizarre confrontation at the end of the Chelsea-Spurs game yesterday took attention away from their shitshow extraordinaire, or at least did for a moment.

theres no getting past Sunday's back pages which slaughtered man U.

Just now, Neil said:

theres no getting past Sunday's back pages which slaughtered man U.

Hence the "for a moment", though damage was done by the shitshow's shitshow that was their first half on Saturday night. A game I didn't see live, so when I booted up a BBC Sport liveblog, it was one of those "... what the fuck?" moments. 

That and I just wanted to crowbar in a reference to Tuchel v Conte, as that was pretty funny and magnificently petty.

Its quite hilarious seeing United fans only blaming the Glazers - theyre killing our club! theyre murdering us! its so unfair! -  when you look at how theyve bankrolled managers with transfers and wages on an almost unprecedented scale over the last half decade. Yes, the stadium needs shitloads of work, and yes they're taking lovely big dividends to try and leverage off the debt, but they've backed every manager with staggering amounts of money. They cant solely be blamed for the ridiculously underperforming players and completely lopsided squad. manager after manager has spent £££. 

Admittedly you can blame them for the wages ensuring they cant possibly firesale the flops out of the club, but then if a transfer target turns them down due to not being offered enough wages, the fans instantly start complaining about that as well! Its a shitshow. They're by and large a spoilt fanbase who's only real attachment to Manchester United is to bathe in some form of reflected trophy glory, and in the total absence of that, there's basically no reason for them to support the club. (i'd best point out this isnt their proper fans, obviously!) 

The same thing has happened at Arsenal over the last decade, a fanbase of 'new' fans who only started being arsenal fans because of Wenger/Invincibles/etc etc, and are then distraught at the fact that it just isnt like that all the time, and every club has seasons, decades of perfectly ordinary achievement. 'legacy' fans (i love that term, its so perverse) can buckle in and enjoy the mediocrity, cos it makes the return to success all the better. But the new fans are watching NFL by then, cheering on the New England Patriots . . . 

Edited by balti-pie

22 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Its quite hilarious seeing United fans only blaming the Glazers - theyre killing our club! theyre murdering us! its so unfair! -  when you look at how theyve bankrolled managers with transfers and wages on an almost unprecedented scale over the last half decade. 

Fergie and David Gill deserve a bit of the blame tbh. One of them shouldve stayed on for at least another season. A manager who had been there for 27 years and a CEO who had been there for 15 years leaving at the same time was always going to cause serious issues. Would do in any organisation. 

I clearly remember the "Oh shit" moment when Fellaini was signed.