Football 2022/23

charlierc

The men's game does have the air of something that's beginning to get in steam now, with Liverpool winning the Community Shield (a surprise, imo, given that they'd had some fairly erratic pre-season results), or the return of the EFL and no doubt several thousand people over-reacting to game 1/46.

But yeah. Wembley today should hopefully be a very special occasion. It's been a great tournament and the England & Germany teams are the two best ones in it. I'm looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

The men's game does have the air of something that's beginning to get in steam now, with Liverpool winning the Community Shield (a surprise, imo, given that they'd had some fairly erratic pre-season results), or the return of the EFL and no doubt several thousand people over-reacting to game 1/46.

But yeah. Wembley today should hopefully be a very special occasion. It's been a great tournament and the England & Germany teams are the two best ones in it. I'm looking forward to it.

I don't think you can be surprised by the community shield, it's a glorified friendly.

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Brilliant final, so happy. Watched with my 95 year old Dad. Obviously he saw the 66 final on TV. He said today was better than watching Coventry beat spurs in the FA Cup final, he was at Wembley then

Atmosphere seemed so good as well. There is a clear comparison with the mens final and all the stupid behaviour from a minority who ruined it for everyone. It's some of the macho/idiotic stuff that spoils the men's game for me. Today was a load of fans just wanting to enjoy an experience. Men's game could learn a lot.

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Atmosphere seemed so good as well. There is a clear comparison with the mens final and all the stupid behaviour from a minority who ruined it for everyone. It's some of the macho/idiotic stuff that spoils the men's game for me. Today was a load of fans just wanting to enjoy an experience. Men's game could learn a lot.

Agreed. It was so nice both national anthems were respected without the knuckle draggers there. No segregation and a real family atmosphere.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Great win last night, great for women's football and sport in general, and great for all those little girls (and little boys) watching.

nd great for skinner & baddiel, another flood of royalties.

50 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Joined. Not sure why I bother really as I always get bored about 10 gameweeks in. That or I throw my toys out of the pram and quit.

I've been quite bored of it for a while, but I think I've been renewing the efests league for 10 years or so now, I just tend to need the reminder.

I was already quite stoked that I got tickets to go to Wembley for the Women's Euros final when I bought them several months ago, but to get to be there for the England team winning really felt like something special. Legit one of the loudest roars in celebration ever. Even if the stadium DJ was very keen to cut them off to play stuff.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Joined. Not sure why I bother really as I always get bored about 10 gameweeks in. That or I throw my toys out of the pram and quit.

Last season I gave up very early into the season after getting everything wrong. Usually I do try and put some effort in until at least 2/3rds of the way through.

It is absolutely one of those things that requires effort or at least the lucre of a big prize to justify carrying on with imo.

39 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I was already quite stoked that I got tickets to go to Wembley for the Women's Euros final when I bought them several months ago, but to get to be there for the England team winning really felt like something special. Legit one of the loudest roars in celebration ever. Even if the stadium DJ was very keen to cut them off to play stuff.

Time to retire Sweet Caroline, please.

9 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Time to retire Sweet Caroline, please.

I liked the use of Just Can't Get Enough as a celebration song, even if that's kinda old hat in football celebration.

Agree with that though. Sweet Caroline isn't a favourite song of mine, but if you're gonna get joy from hearing it, that's probably the best place you're gonna get it.

I know Baddiel has suggested retiring Three Lions as well.

23 hours ago, steviewevie said:

just seen that for the first time, it probably takes the team being a team for them to do that without embarrassment getting in the way.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Thanks to the person who set up the FPL league. Looks like there's a healthy league in there already!

Good luck! Especially for all those brave enough to go without Salah 😛

I was having this chat with my mate today. He's so expensive and has a ridiculous ownership % but I just think he's a must have. I'm sure I saw he's been the highest scoring FPL player for the last 4 or 5 seasons.