Football 2022/23

charlierc

On 6/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, charlierc said:

With the new fixtures out, new signings being made everywhere and all the rest, it's new thread time.

So, anyone wanna make a wild and early prediction for the upcoming football season?

City to win the league.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Sterling to Chelsea is a great signing. Has a habit of popping up with goals. Surprised City are willing to sell to be honest. Would take him back at Liverpool but that's never happening.

I think the reality is these clubs now have to consider selling to potential rivals as so few teams abroad who can compete financially.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:24 AM, The Nal said:

Can't blame Ronaldo can you. He'd ace it at Bayern.

German football expert I listen to suggests it's unlikely.

I'm not sure who is a valid club for him, mind. He still thinks he's got another Champions League winning performance in him but I don't think clubs that could win the Champions League will want him.

Speaking of Bayern. Apparently they want all the money up front from Barcelona for any deal involving Lewandowski as they don't believe Barca will exist in two years if they carry on down this road. You do wonder if they know something about this potential super league as selling future revenue for signings now seems pretty much a ponzi scheme.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Speaking of Bayern. Apparently they want all the money up front from Barcelona for any deal involving Lewandowski as they don't believe Barca will exist in two years if they carry on down this road. You do wonder if they know something about this potential super league as selling future revenue for signings now seems pretty much a ponzi scheme.

The Barca situation is mental. Theyve sold 49.9% of their merch away and are about to sell 25% of their TV rights for the next 25 years. Rumours they owe playeers millons in wages etc too.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, The Nal said:

I did think that to be the case. Mane being 30 seemed at the top end of what they'd be up for looking at it objectively.

I'm not sure who might try to sign CR7 tbh. It's all well and good that he wants out from Man United but his age, wage demands and position requirements are a very extreme commitment and I'm not sure any of the teams in a position to challenge for the Champions League this season would be willing to indulge him.

On 7/7/2022 at 11:44 AM, The Nal said:

The Barca situation is mental. Theyve sold 49.9% of their merch away and are about to sell 25% of their TV rights for the next 25 years. Rumours they owe playeers millons in wages etc too.

The terms of the deal had flown under the radar to me but reading about it... blimey. Things must be desperate if they were willing to agree to that.

I presume somebody will end up stumping up the cash and they won't collapse, but it's a sign of some epic mismanagement and a club that seem to be continually failing to learn from their mismanagement that it might come to that "sell your soul or disappear" choice.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, charlierc said:

With the new fixtures out, new signings being made everywhere and all the rest, it's new thread time.

So, anyone wanna make a wild and early prediction for the upcoming football season?

Reading to win the league

On 7/7/2022 at 9:50 AM, lost said:

Well it looks like a deal has been arranged, along with the one earlier this week for Raphinha from Leeds thanks to Barcelona's questionable financial strategy.

Be interesting to see what direction Bayern go in for a replacement. Apparently the tabloids are claiming their dream target is Kane but it feels very unlikely to see that move come about.

Just noticed Palace playing both Utd and Gillingham. I'm guessing clubs are now running two pre-seasons simultaneously? One domestic for un-vaccinated players and then the money makers abroad with the players who can travel.

12 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Probably the under 23s or an “XI” at Gillingham.

Zaha and Benteke appear to be playing Gillingham. Viera mentioning his disappointment at 9 players who were not allowed to travel to Aus after the Man U game.

https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/news/patrick-vieira-small-pre-season-squad-not-ideal-unvaccinated-players-left-home

Same thing appears to have happened to Chelsea and Everton over in the states.

Edited by lost