The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

17 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'm not sure there's a such thing as sustainable growth.

Why do we need growth, we have way more than enough already if distributed properly.

The only reason we "need" growth is so the rich can become richer.

Let's say growth without the word economics then 🙂 Like the often used Bhutan "happiness index". Or use "economic redistribution" instead!

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Sorry skip to:dr I’m at work. Most of the land by us is uncultivated pasture which has lots of sequestered carbon in it. I presume that is what the doc is about. 

so the installation of panels will release carbon as well as the loss of grassland. 

I might have not been able to do my bit but the local county councillor has got 10 acres of them. 

We need to invest big into tidal here, sort us to part way there. Never knew why we always turned it down in the past, could have been in a better position. 

Now this will take investment and a vision for the future, sadly no one with the bottle to do it.

Mind you , as we know , the moon is a spacecraft and will one day fly away leaving us with no tides. 

Small nuclear plants that are quick to build, not these massive things we are building and then paying the Chinese over the odds when producing.

I guess the big one is fission and we need big investment and the world to work together to move that any faster. Probably find out in hundreds of years that was wrong and cause something else

49 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

"see all that complete, often single use, unnecessary crap that we produce, which is massively adding to CO2 emissions and general pollution, why don't we just ban it right now" 

What we need is a massive cost of living crisis,  so people can't buy 😟

29 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Topping out at 34 again today … seems to have been our max temp through both phases … looking to see if I can get any water butts in the garden for the future … although they would be dry in no time in this heat 

I’ve still got water left in my butt atm. Worth the investment 

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Absolutely, not all older homes will be suitable. But we absolutely shouldn’t be laying a single brick in this country unless the building has solar designed in!

The current legislation doesn’t go far enough, and can be gotten around too easily. 

Simply put, every single new building built in this country should be designed to have at least 40% of it’s roof space (or 80% of it’s south facing roof) covered in integrated solar panels. 

Buildings, especially homes, are usually shaped such that they ‘could’ be designed to always have a south facing roof! 

Just like the boom of satellite dishes in the 80s / 90s we should consider adding a small wind turbine to the roofline of each new build too. A hybrid system is absolutely perfect in the UK! 

Doesn’t address older builds, obviously, but the fact we’re not already mandating these things on new builds is telling! 

This ^

Why on earth isn't every new home or property built to be at least carbon neutral, where possible carbon positive, using sustainable materials, fitted with heat pumps instead of boilers etc. etc. NOW!  Change the legislation right now if you are serious about this.  Of course we know why, big businesses and their government cronies protecting their slice of the pie.  Haven't heard a single thing from the Tory leadership contenders on climate.

Unfortunately the human race will never do enough to combat climate change and sadly the least affluent will suffer the most but as Mrs Mecca has said maybe this is what is meant to be for us (and sadly a lot of other species cuaght in the crossfire).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Small nuclear plants that are quick to build, not these massive things we are building and then paying the Chinese over the odds when producing.

Rolls Royce are already working on them, first one to be commissioned around 2030... But it's just not soon enough!

Rolls-Royce to take on hundreds of workers to produce nuclear reactors

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/rolls-royce-take-hundreds-workers-7026670

New Rolls-Royce 'mini' nuclear power plant could light million homes

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/new-rolls-royce-mini-nuclear-5427413

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Rolls Royce are already working on them, first one to be commissioned around 2030... But it's just not soon enough!

Rolls-Royce to take on hundreds of workers to produce nuclear reactors

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/rolls-royce-take-hundreds-workers-7026670

New Rolls-Royce 'mini' nuclear power plant could light million homes

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/new-rolls-royce-mini-nuclear-5427413

If not soon enough, and if emergency measures are needed, shouldn't some sort of restrictions be in order?

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

If not soon enough, and if emergency measures are needed, shouldn't some sort of restrictions be in order?

Massive restrictions and a huge amount of infrastructure.

TBH we should go all "Chinese" and just get on with it, ignoring any objections from public or business.

This is very serious and time is rapidly running out.

Took a walk to the shops and was getting annoyed by busts of cold airs coming out of open doors. Until I reached a quite large drugstore, with big heavy doors (As in not even electric ones), nicely closed. Good job drugstore.

30 degrees now, waiting a bit to go for a walk, under the trees by the canal.

4 minutes ago, moogster said:

Took a walk to the shops and was getting annoyed by busts of cold airs coming out of open doors. Until I reached a quite large drugstore, with big heavy doors (As in not even electric ones), nicely closed. Good job drugstore.

30 degrees now, waiting a bit to go for a walk, under the trees by the canal.

Been going for evening walks, like 8, and it's so nice. Like being abroad.

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Massive restrictions and a huge amount of infrastructure.

TBH we should go all "Chinese" and just get on with it, ignoring any objections from public or business.

This is very serious and time is rapidly running out.

I think it would work but ONLY if people were given something to aim for and there was measurable progress. Big infrastructure improvements to allow a return to a better lifestyle with better energy. Permanently "sorry you've had your time" wouldn't be an easy sell...

8 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Fuck this shit - 29 degrees in my flat at 11 at night - I'm moving to Iceland next summer!

You’ll have a new problem then. It may be a little cooler but forget about long periods of darkness. Can you sleep when the sun is still shining?

15 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Fuck this shit - 29 degrees in my flat at 11 at night - I'm moving to Iceland next summer!

I had my fan on all night … fuck knows what that’s cost me … but it did mean a non sweaty nights sleep … at least the temp drops off after today for a while at least . Hoping the storms hit from mon 🙂 I like a good thunderstorm