The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Actually a fair point id not considered 

Yeh Seven Trent reservoir levels are still at around 60% full. We haven’t needed a hosepipe ban in this area since 1995. We’ve had a lot of new capacity added since then (or at least new infrastructure  has come into operation.) We have enough capacity in this area thankfully that ST have already pretty much ruled out any restrictions. Thanks to the run off from the Pennines and Peak district. 

The ground and vegetation however is extremely dry!!! And a huge fire risk! 😞 

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ffs local news have just reported a wildfire by my parents village and another a couple of miles away 😞 

Hope it's contained to fields buddy and everybody is safe. 😕 

I'm really fearful of this week, it is just the beginning right now, we potentially have 6 days in a row of 30+ temperatures, with everywhere already dry as a bone. And a fire service not equipped to deal with wild fires on the scale that we're starting to see them. 😞 

Edited by Alvoram

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Hope it's contained to fields buddy and everybody is safe. 😕 

I'm really fearful of this week, it is just the beginning right now, we potentially have 6 days in a row of 30+ temperatures, with everywhere already dry as a bone. And a fire service not equipped to deal with wild fires on the scale that we're starting to see them. 😞 

indeed ... thats likely to be all the fire appliances covering quite a large area just attending that .... 

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I hope all is OK with them.

seems like it ... they cant smell smoke which is a good sign ... phew local paper ...

Around 15 acres of grassland destroyed by fire

We have received confirmation that fire crews left the scene earlier this afternoon. 

A Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: “The incident took two hours to complete.

”We left the scene at 1.56pm. We don’t have any information on the cause of the fire at present. However, the fire destroyed 15 acres of grassland.”

Edited by crazyfool1

When you are talking about a hosepipe ban, do you mean for individuals or for farmers?

Across the North sea,  we're being told that consumer water is not a big issue, even though it's a little indecent to fill in your pool. In comparison to what the industries/farming uses it's quite low.

Interestingly enough there is a level of the ban that differentiates sprinklers (wasteful) and drop irrigation (better). Right now the ban in the NL is for farmers to pull water from the rivers, as this impacts nature/boats. I am using groundwater for my garden that's not deep enough to be of interest for the water companies to make drinking water from, and so are some farmers, and that's allowed.

Pfff lots of rules and headaches for so-called  "rainy" countries. Who'd have thought...

45 minutes ago, moogster said:

When you are talking about a hosepipe ban, do you mean for individuals or for farmers?

Across the North sea,  we're being told that consumer water is not a big issue, even though it's a little indecent to fill in your pool. In comparison to what the industries/farming uses it's quite low.

Interestingly enough there is a level of the ban that differentiates sprinklers (wasteful) and drop irrigation (better). Right now the ban in the NL is for farmers to pull water from the rivers, as this impacts nature/boats. I am using groundwater for my garden that's not deep enough to be of interest for the water companies to make drinking water from, and so are some farmers, and that's allowed.

Pfff lots of rules and headaches for so-called  "rainy" countries. Who'd have thought...

First off... How crazy is it to think of the Netherlands as being short of water! 😮 17% of the NL is reclaimed from the sea!!!! 

Secondly, completely opposite here. A hosepipe ban only affects domestic use, commercial use is still allowed. If it gets really serious then the measures can be (and have in the past been) extended to commercial use too. 

41 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

First off... How crazy is it to think of the Netherlands as being short of water! 😮 17% of the NL is reclaimed from the sea!!!! 

Secondly, completely opposite here. A hosepipe ban only affects domestic use, commercial use is still allowed. If it gets really serious then the measures can be (and have in the past been) extended to commercial use too. 

Well the country is made as well to get rid of water... Which is why there was little trouble the last time the rivers went wild compared to Belgium and Germany. And farmers need the sea can't pump groundwater because it's getting salty... So that's a bit the issue.

So if you lose your freezer's inventory are you actually insured? I guess you can't advertise for a massive half price cook out in the evening?

Slightly cheeky of Thames water to say a hosepipe ban is coming the day after their lack of investment in the infrastructure led to a massive burst water main that flooded part of Islington. The years of underinvestment in new reservoirs and pipes to keep up with the growing population of the south east is mildly infuriating.

We have been saving up for a while for a new garden which was all planted this year and plants in their first year need a lot of water while they bed in, so really sad that they’re now all likely going to die as a result of the hosepipe ban. Seems such a waste as has had such a positive impact on my mental health having it all done, that’s before we even consider the money it’s going to cost to replace. Drought ready, Mediterranean plants I think on the agenda next time! 

10 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Slightly cheeky of Thames water to say a hosepipe ban is coming the day after their lack of investment in the infrastructure led to a massive burst water main that flooded part of Islington. The years of underinvestment in new reservoirs and pipes to keep up with the growing population of the south east is mildly infuriating.

We have been saving up for a while for a new garden which was all planted this year and plants in their first year need a lot of water while they bed in, so really sad that they’re now all likely going to die as a result of the hosepipe ban. Seems such a waste as has had such a positive impact on my mental health having it all done, that’s before we even consider the money it’s going to cost to replace. Drought ready, Mediterranean plants I think on the agenda next time! 

Hose pipes maybe banned but you can still use a watering can. More of a pain granted but doable. Then just water directly into the root area, targeting any plants that look in need.

10 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Hose pipes maybe banned but you can still use a watering can. More of a pain granted but doable. Then just water directly into the root area, targeting any plants that look in need.

Oh really I didn’t know this, I assumed it just meant you couldn’t water the garden! Thanks a lot

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Oh really I didn’t know this, I assumed it just meant you couldn’t water the garden! Thanks a lot

It’s to stop people from putting on sprinklers to water lawns ( absolutely no need, your grass will grow back as soon as it rains). Obviously it’s more work, time etc but a watering can uses significantly less water than a hose.

4 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Also remember you can use washing up water/ waste kitchen water to water the garden. The soapy suds are ok for flowers, and actually kill off green fly on roses. Maybe best not put them on veg as you might get a soapy product.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Or you do have those dripping systems that connect... to a hose/tap. I guess it's a fine line but the dripping uses a tiny amount of the water from sprinklers/hosing.

But yeah I put in an olive tree this year and it's doing great. A great year for tomatoes too... Beans not so much.

16 minutes ago, moogster said:

Or you do have those dripping systems that connect... to a hose/tap. I guess it's a fine line but the dripping uses a tiny amount of the water from sprinklers/hosing.

But yeah I put in an olive tree this year and it's doing great. A great year for tomatoes too... Beans not so much.

Yep Olive trees are loving the weather and there’s no need to water them. My beans are brilliant this year. Admittedly the first beans I put in did not germinate- too early I think. But the second lot have come on and are producing loads. As is the fig tree - at least 12 ready every day. And yes tomatoes are fab along with raspberries and blueberries. The two miniature apple trees that had nothing last year are so heavy this time, they are in danger of snapping branches. Let’s hope the grapes are as good later in September.

Anyway, enough Percy Thrower, back to the weather - gonna be a fabulous Boomtown in the sun. Just like 2016 I think, or at least some time back. That was great - flip flops all day and dancing in the sand in the forest, in bare feet.

37 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

It’s to stop people from putting on sprinklers to water lawns ( absolutely no need, your grass will grow back as soon as it rains). Obviously it’s more work, time etc but a watering can uses significantly less water than a hose.

Unless you’ve laid a new one … which they give you 28 days after … although I can’t imagine anyone deciding it’s now time to lay one . I think they said a hosepipe ban saves 10 % of water use 

19 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Was meant to be seeing Daniel Kitson in Birmingham outside during the last heatwave. It got postponed due to temperature and move to this week. Should be interesting!

I assume this is the same show I'll be seeing in London on the 21st - hope it's good! And not too hot...

We have a festival this weekend (Supernormal) so am feeling a bit nervous! It's tiny so not a lot of walking and there is a fair amount of shade with trees etc but 35 degrees is nuts. We are going with three kids and someone having treatment for cancer so am a bit worried about how they'll cope more than anything. Well that and putting up two tents in 35 degree heat! 😰

21 hours ago, moogster said:

Well the country is made as well to get rid of water... Which is why there was little trouble the last time the rivers went wild compared to Belgium and Germany. And farmers need the sea can't pump groundwater because it's getting salty... So that's a bit the issue.

So if you lose your freezer's inventory are you actually insured? I guess you can't advertise for a massive half price cook out in the evening?

If the freezer cuts out it’s designed to maintain a temperature safe enough for the food for up to 24 hours. This only works if the door is kept closed, and in reality internal temperatures rose to -12c in about 12 hours last time. 

They key is spotting it quick and getting an engineer here quick. Last time it was something to do with pressure in the coolant system 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m not an engineer, but it seemed an easy fix, he connected up some rubber hoses with dials on and used it to correct the pressure. Fingers crossed we can get the same engineer again if it happens. 

We do have cover on our stock, it certainly covers things like theft, fire etc, but I’d have to check about equipment failure.

I’m being slightly dramatic tbh, because this time if it happens it’s a weekend, and we’re certain to be able to use most of the stock in time. Once defrosted, food standards state that you have 3 days to use the food from chilled. So we can just transfer it to the walk in fridge and use as much as possible up in those 3 days. 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

If the freezer cuts out it’s designed to maintain a temperature safe enough for the food for up to 24 hours. This only works if the door is kept closed, and in reality internal temperatures rose to -12c in about 12 hours last time. 

They key is spotting it quick and getting an engineer here quick. Last time it was something to do with pressure in the coolant system 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m not an engineer, but it seemed an easy fix, he connected up some rubber hoses with dials on and used it to correct the pressure. Fingers crossed we can get the same engineer again if it happens. 

We do have cover on our stock, it certainly covers things like theft, fire etc, but I’d have to check about equipment failure.

I’m being slightly dramatic tbh, because this time if it happens it’s a weekend, and we’re certain to be able to use most of the stock in time. Once defrosted, food standards state that you have 3 days to use the food from chilled. So we can just transfer it to the walk in fridge and use as much as possible up in those 3 days. 🙂 

Good to hear! And good quality freezer. Must get one.

Where I live there's a tendency,  when there's a power black out, to pretend your freezer is full of prime cut beef, instead of let's say water lollies and 3 years old frozen spinach and ask the power company to reimburse. 

10 minutes ago, moogster said:

Good to hear! And good quality freezer. Must get one.

Where I live there's a tendency,  when there's a power black out, to pretend your freezer is full of prime cut beef, instead of let's say water lollies and 3 years old frozen spinach and ask the power company to reimburse. 

It's pretty standard for a commercial walk in, they all tend to have a rated time that they can maintain temperature for in emergencies, else with all the rules around food safety, we'd have to throw food away / use it up quickly, every time there's a power cut. 😮 

Ours is full of fries and bread products mostly 🙈 But it also stores our batched cooked foods like lasagnes, currys etc, the ones we cook in big batches then freeze down to rewarm later (I can hear Gordon Ramsey crying as I type, but hey, it's a small British pub, at least we home make the stuff, most pubs just buy it in!!! And most dishes are cooked to order, cannot freeze down and rewarm a cream based sauce for example, it'll split. It's just the ones that take hours and hours to prepare and cook that we don't make to order, but I'm rambling now, lol.) Losing our batched cooked stuff would mean a lot of expense and work remaking it. The meat and veg is fresh, so kept in the fridge. Although I'm sure if we had to claim, we may find some beef fillets, and legs of lamb, that need binning. 😉