The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

39.9 now 🙂 

I've just been out there and the heat is coming up from the ground 😱

I guess its because it's all pebbles. F*cking hot pebbles 😯

Edited by Kizzie

We hit 37 on official observations… Garden was saying over 40 though!!!

Worryingly, the walk in freezer is at -16.5 when it needs to be -18… This won’t do any harm to it’s contents in the short term, but I’m worried about tomorrow being much hotter!!! 

And we haven’t even opened the door to it today, despite how tempting it is to go and sit in there for a break!!!

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

only one, others are low heat and fanless.

Heat from the components still has to dissipate somewhere, whether that’s by passive heatsink, fan or water cooling / AIO. The extra heat is still going into your room. 

Feel bad for anybody trying to game on a 12th gen intel and 3000 series Nvidia card right now… That must be a bloody nightmare!!! 🙈😂

Just now, Alvoram said:

Heat from the components still has to dissipate somewhere, whether that’s by passive heatsink, fan or water cooling / AIO. The extra heat is still going into your room. 

yeah, but the heat of the devices  is low, anyway, so they don't create much extra heat into the room.

Just now, Alvoram said:

Feel bad for anybody trying to game on a 12th gen intel and 3000 series Nvidia card right now… That must be a bloody nightmare!!! 🙈😂

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

yeah, but the heat of the devices  is low, anyway, so they don't create much extra heat into the room.

I switched to an all in one itx motherboard as I don't need anything too powerful anymore and they are normally run cool and are fanless 👍

34 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'd say you actually are winning but then I hate the heat and definitely hate working from home in this heat. 

Good point, it has been quite pleasant working from home today.

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

wow - how mad is that?!

I think the "urban heat island" effect is cancelled out by the "being an actual island" effect. Always stays milder here than on the mainland.

27 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Ryzen and 3000 series here.  Rendering lightmaps, 3 machines running 100% cpu for hours at a time, peak temps of 86c and the air in the room with the machines doing the work is politely described as 'punishing'.

Thankfully I can see all this from the comfort of remoting into the room and gaming on a more modest i5 and 1070 in a room where the temp is in the mid teens (hooray for blackout blinds and airflow).

11 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Ryzen and 3000 series here.  Rendering lightmaps, 3 machines running 100% cpu for hours at a time, peak temps of 86c and the air in the room with the machines doing the work is politely described as 'punishing'.

Thankfully I can see all this from the comfort of remoting into the room and gaming on a more modest i5 and 1070 in a room where the temp is in the mid teens (hooray for blackout blinds and airflow).

B933B717-1112-4947-B1B0-5B7289CB6812.gif

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I can confirm that this is absolutely horrific. The good news is that I don't think I'll need to turn the heating on this winter...

4 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Two 'weather stations' near me hit 40 earlier today (Bukinghamshire), but weather apps we're saying 38. 

See: WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground (wunderground.com) for the 'weather station' thingies. 

my weatherstation used to upload to wunderground, but i've disconnected it.

12 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Ya'll believe in Air Con now?

So you think that to make ourselves more comfortable during increased temperatures we should use lots of energy the production of which will make the climate warmer?

6 minutes ago, tarw said:

So you think that to make ourselves more comfortable during increased temperatures we should use lots of energy the production of which will make the climate warmer?

It's a light hearted comment.. No need to go all Greta Thunberg 🤣