The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

3 hours ago, sunnyshoes said:

It's really scary. I can't imagine the festival in 30 plus heat. 2019 was my maximum. Seeing those kind of temperatures in the UK is terrifying. 

The search for shade on the Wednesday in 2019 was incredible, the path through the woods was rammed. And they are talking about at least five degrees and more higher next week. Coping with that at the festival wouldn’t be easy for all ages. It will be interesting to see how festivals that are taking place this weekend are dealing with it. 

This is bonkers... 

It's looking like our local temperature record will be beaten on Monday, and then destroyed again on Tuesday at 40c!!!

Then, the charts are showing a drop to 18c for the same time on Wednesday... a 22c drop in 24 hours! Wednesday is going to feel absolutely freezing, it won't be of course, but it will feel it. 

Just be glad it's not a festival weekend but we definitely have to start planning for these more extreme temperatures. Was trying to explain to my Barcelona colleagues this morning that our houses are built to keep heat in and so these temperatures can be fucking unbearable for us. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Skip997 said:

Get used to it, this is the future and it's rapidly going to get more extreme.

It's getting earlier too... When records fell in 2019 it was the end of July... 

Since the 1980s, below average winters have definitely become less frequent, and above average Summers have become more frequent... 

UK Monthly Average Temperatures For The Last 100 Years. 

avgTemps.jpg.e9c570a926527486bae0051155c1985b.jpg

But then, I'm not sure anybody on here really needs convincing of this... We're all well aware. 😕 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Just be glad it's not a festival weekend but we definitely have to start planning for these more extreme temperatures. Was trying to explain to my Barcelona colleagues this morning that our houses are built to keep heat in and so these temperatures can be fucking unbearable for us. 

Correct, the thought of attempting to sleep in a tent in these extreme temperatures is scary. And then spend the day in the open with little shade dancing, drinking alcohol and walking miles.  

Extreme temperatures and what comes with them all over the place...it's starting to get very serious. We can't stop what's going to happen in next few decades, but we can maybe prevent it getting too much worse after that. The repercussions are massive, makes everything else pale into insignificance. Meanwhile, the choices for next PM argue who can promise the biggest tax cuts and who can be the most non woke...and then you have Putin...and then there is a possible return of Trump to the whitehouse. It's fucked. The human race is going to fuck it. Have a good weekend.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So ya'll still want sunshine at Glasto eh. Never gonna want it again after this week. Stay safe.

Yep

I find this weather in the UK crazy... But boy am I enjoying it...

People pay good money chasing weather like this 🙂

Edit: Maybe not for a festival though lol

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

So ya'll still want sunshine at Glasto eh. Never gonna want it again after this week. Stay safe.

echo those sentiments ... look after your loved ones , neighbours and pets . dont think we will see the peak here in the south west but im sure there is time for that to change .... on another note this has been forecast for over a week now ... I wish Glastonbury had a locked in forecast .... 

Take  care everyone… Without meaning to sound patronising, remember the basics…

Avoid Alcohol (and I’m a publican!)

Drink plenty of water

Wear light coloured, thin, loose clothing. 

Stay in the shade as much as possible

Eat light in the day

Avoid physical activity

Be safe!