The wait is nearly over … it’s nearly time to party

Crazyfool01

Festival 9 for me after a 6 year break due to the ticket gods not favouring me until this resale. I'm not really big on Christmas but when I get to go to Glasto, that's my Christmas - I kinda love the fact they are exactly 6 months apart too. Christmas has been un-cancelled for me and I can't yet believe it's happening. I think it'll take until I get on the ancient bus from Bath and West, see the first Glasto font sign, fight through the turnstiles with my backpack, grab a programme and tote for it to start to sink in. Seeing the Pyramid again is going to be emotional. The first round at the cider bus will be joyous

Best bit is my Dad and his wife have listened to me harp on about the place since I was 18 and they know how special it is to me. They got tickets in October 2019 and feared going without me in a twist of irony. They sweetly offered about three times over the years to transfer them if it was possible. Now I get to share it with him for real. We have so many newbies coming this year so the vicarious fresh experience is going to be strong and frankly after being away for so long some of it will be for real even if for the most part it will be a homecoming.

My eyes appear to have started watering writing that... damn hay fever...

I'm unlikely to make it to the meet because, well, you now how it is. However if I can, I will, as it'll be great to put some faces to avatars/usernames. Otherwise if on Wednesday you see a guy wearing a t-shirt with his own face on it, say hello, and I'll tell you the story that goes with it. (just need to find it...)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Be a bit careful with it. It takes a bit longer to kick in and has a lower LD50 so people have come a cropper by assuming it was weak and taking too much… then it finally kicks in and wham!

Thank you for your well intended advice Twiggy553. I must confess that a little bit of that happened. I did take too much, on reflection. However, in my defence, I didn't know where base camp one was, as I'd not had it before.  Now I know that the normal MO would be to work your way up quantity wise but I just didn't. So, yes, great advice there Twiggy553.  🙂

6 hours ago, Digi said:

Rollercoaster for me too. Covid, being a nurse, living 80 miles from my family and my mum being extremely clinically vulnerable all hit hard.  Add to that a house sale and feeling a bit shafted by an ex husband who took half the profits of the sale yet had paid nothing in the 8 years since he left (whatever, he obviously needed the few grand more than me and I wasnt getting in to a long and drawn out battle). Needless to say... the festival couldn't come soon enough 🙂 My OH got a ticket in the resale, we hired a camper and were ridiculously giddy. That all changed just over 6 weeks ago when my beautiful mum very rapidly went in to septic shock due to biliary sepsis and died 8 days later on ICU after putting up the fight of her life 💔 I'm an only child, she was my best friend as well as my mum, and I'm beyond devastated.  I think I'm also still a bit in shock and it's been very hit and miss as to whether I would actually still go. My dad is devastated at the thought of me not going and my mum would defintely be encouraging me if she was still here. It will certainly be a different festival for me and its only today that has been the first time I have been able to smile at the thought of going - it's more about seeing and being with my son and my friends though than seeing bands 

I keep seeing threads about clashfinders, secret sets and 'what have you done today to get ready?'. I couldn't tell you whose playing when, whose rumoured and I've done absolutely nothing so far

I've sat today though and read the weather and state of the ground threads with a smile 🥰

My condolences on your mother passing away Digi. That's a rapid and painful series of events to take in and deal with. I hope that you do allow yourself the freedom to be happy at Glastonbury. All the best. 🙂

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thank you for your well intended advice Twiggy553. I must confess that a little bit of that happened. I did take too much, on reflection. However, in my defence, I didn't know where base camp one was, as I'd not had it before.  Now I know that the normal MO would be to work your way up quantity wise but I just didn't. So, yes, great advice there Twiggy553.  🙂

This is partly why i think drug testing (not so much in your case as you knew what it was) is so important. Avon police seem to be really against it as they say it’s endorsing drug use.

At the very minimum i run a Fentanyl test on everything I buy. The test strips are really cheap and easy to use.

Edited by Twiggy553

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My condolences on your mother passing away Digi. That's a rapid and painful series of events to take in and deal with. I hope that you do allow yourself the freedom to be happy at Glastonbury. All the best. 🙂

Thanks Yog - it's certainly been the hardest thing I've been through. My dad wants me to go and enjoy myself and my mum certainly would want that - she would be up every ticket day hammering F5 for us as well 🤣 Both her and dad know how much the place means to me.  Mum has had health problems my whole adult life (although she died of something completely unrelated). She was a really fun and young at heart 70 year old. She would have loved to come with us and I would loved to have taken her - her mobility was a real issue though and even her ability to be pain free enough to use mobility aids some days was put to the test. I have some of her ashes back to take with us though. I don't intend to scatter them there - but I know that I will have finally taken her ❤ 

4 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

This is partly why i think drug testing (not so much in your case as you knew what it was) is so important. Avon police seem to be really against it as they say it’s endorsing drug use.

At the very minimum i run a Fentanyl test on everything I buy. The test strips are really cheap and easy to use.

Well, if I'm honest, on this one I didn't know anything about the stuff. Not only that, but I thought it was mdma I was getting. It was only after taking it that the person who got it for me said what it was. That person had got it mixed up, but it wasn't a malice type thing.

If we are talking festivals then I think that The Loop should be at them all, and at nightclubs etc.

2 hours ago, Digi said:

Thanks Yog - it's certainly been the hardest thing I've been through. My dad wants me to go and enjoy myself and my mum certainly would want that - she would be up every ticket day hammering F5 for us as well 🤣 Both her and dad know how much the place means to me.  Mum has had health problems my whole adult life (although she died of something completely unrelated). She was a really fun and young at heart 70 year old. She would have loved to come with us and I would loved to have taken her - her mobility was a real issue though and even her ability to be pain free enough to use mobility aids some days was put to the test. I have some of her ashes back to take with us though. I don't intend to scatter them there - but I know that I will have finally taken her ❤ 

Well, if your mom would have wanted you to go, and your dad wants you to go, then it's a no brainer really - you should go. However, in my opinion, you should also get it into your head that you should go, and be happy there too. There may be moments of reflection etc while there, which is only natural. However, if these moments are leading you away from enjoying the festival, then I'd recommend that you nip them in the bud. They'll be a more appropriate time later when you'll be able to put proper thought into them.

I hope you have a ball at the festival. You are allowed one. I think it may even be in the rules.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Well, if your mom would have wanted you to go, and your dad wants you to go, then it's a no brainer really - you should go. However, in my opinion, you should also get it into your head that you should go, and be happy there too. There may be moments of reflection etc while there, which is only natural. However, if these moments are leading you away from enjoying the festival, then I'd recommend that you nip them in the bud. They'll be a more appropriate time later when you'll be able to put proper thought into them.

I hope you have a ball at the festival. You are allowed one. I think it may even be in the rules.

I'm sure there will be many moments of reflection ❤ 

I can either be really sad at home by myself, or I can really sad at my favourite place surrounded by my favourite people doing all they can to support me and make the sadness not quite so overwhelming. I mean, the sadness isn't going to just go - I'm OK with that and if it all gets a bit much, there are so many places onsite I can go and sit and just have a moment and so many people I can reach out to 🙂

I'm starting to look forward to it. A bit apprehensive about how music will make me feel - I haven't really been able to listen to it since she died. It's always been a measure of my emotions etc but it'll be OK. I even started getting stuff ready yesterday

The only thing I would love is to be able to bunk my dad in. He's 80 in a few weeks, as fit as a fiddle and I'd love to have been able to spend the festival with him this year 

23 minutes ago, Digi said:

The only thing I would love is to be able to bunk my dad in. He's 80 in a few weeks, as fit as a fiddle and I'd love to have been able to spend the festival with him this year 

If I had a magic wand I'd make that wish come true for you and your dad. My own dad would have hated Glastonbury, and I think actually did. I guess every time I went to Glastonbury he knew that I'd be taking drugs which he was very much against. In fact he once declared that he would happily be the executioner of drug dealers. I think he was very disappointed in me. However, he was so pig headed that it never occurred to him that that disappointment was a two way street.

Excitement for me reached fever pitch about a week ago and I cannot seem to generate the same from the 20+ people in the WhatsApp group so this forum has been the place I come to - mostly just to read peoples updates and see that I’m not alone!! Can’t wait to put my dancing boots on and hit the fields…

3 minutes ago, GlastoMom said:

Excitement for me reached fever pitch about a week ago and I cannot seem to generate the same from the 20+ people in the WhatsApp group so this forum has been the place I come to - mostly just to read peoples updates and see that I’m not alone!! Can’t wait to put my dancing boots on and hit the fields…

dont worry on their behalf if you can avoid it 20 x worry is not helpful ... 3 days time they will be loving it ..... 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GlastoMom said:

Excitement for me reached fever pitch about a week ago and I cannot seem to generate the same from the 20+ people in the WhatsApp group so this forum has been the place I come to -

I know, i’m the same. Why are other people not as hyped??

Sat here at work on a small island in Poole harbour; finish my last shift at 0600. Not thinking about work much.

My son travels down from London on Tues morning and we will set off around 5/6pm.

So glad he's still happy to do gigs and the odd festival with the old man, even if I am getting all the beer.

Life is good.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Sat here at work on a small island in Poole harbour; finish my last shift at 0600. Not thinking about work much.

My son travels down from London on Tues morning and we will set off around 5/6pm.

So glad he's still happy to do gigs and the odd festival with the old man, even if I am getting all the beer.

Life is good.

Shoutout Brownsea Island! 

Was thinking about this the other day. A lot has changed personally in those three years - first born, change of job, the whole pandemic! Got an afternoon at work before a day to relax and then head off on Wednesday. Even with the queues and heat, it’s going to be the best day ever.