What set will be the most empty?

FloorFiller

Poor old Rufus will get a tiny crowd up against Wet Leg. Same for Greentea Peng on West Holts too.

Also I think you're all wrong about Kendrick, he won't get the biggest crowd but it won't be noticeably small at all.

Edited by Acid_Haze

28 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Poor old Rufus will get a tiny crowd up against Wet Leg. Same for Greentea Peng on West Holts too.

Also I think you're all wrong about Kendrick, he won't get the biggest crowd but it won't be noticeably small at all.

Rufus absolutely deserves better. His early Pyramid slot from a few years back was so good so I'm really looking forward to it.

Having Kendrick as a must-see, I hope you're right but PSB definitely going to pull a gigantic "never rap" crowd. I'm surprised people see Bicep as a big draw away from him though.

Glastonbury 2011, I had the misfortune of working the John Peel tent when the god-awful Glasvegas headlined. I think the John Peel tent is something like a 12,000 capacity, with 1,000s more watching from outside the tent for big draws. However, often the headliners don't get the large crowds as they are up against big hitters. Crowd for Hurts for example, against the Rolling Stones and Chase & Status, was pretty sparse in that tent, probably not even a 1,000.

Anyway, I was stuck in John Peel to watch my absolutely least favourite band, who I'd already endured once at a free festival, while crowd pleasing Coldplay and The Chems were playing the Pyramid and Other stages respectively. Turns out the whole of Glastonbury has the same opinion of Glasvegas as I do... NO ONE TURNED UP!

When I say no one, that is not quite true, but excluding fire stewards, security, stage crew and the band themselves, I'm not sure it reached double digits. The whole crowd, and quite a few fire stewards, were on the barrier, the rest of the 12,000 capacity tent was deserted. I would have felt sorry for any band other than Glasvegas, but the lead singer came over as a total prick on Buzzcocks.

Glasvegas played like nothing was odd, lead singer strutting around as normal, you would have thought he was playing to a full tent. Must have been dying inside, maybe I did feel a little bit sorry for them.

St. Vincent is definitely going to have a very small crowd. I struggled to pick between her and Sam Fender but the realisation that Sam Fender will be absolutely rammed and St. Vincent will be the opposite helped me to decide on Vincent. I've reached the age where I quite enjoy the extra space!

Not sure Kacey Musgraves will be that big a draw against Elbow and the Park secret set.

Roisin Murphy v Jessie Ware is such a bizarre choice especially when both are up against Paul McCartney. I think they'll both do OK, largely because there are people who will always pick those stages for the Saturday nights, but they definitely would have been busier if they weren't clashing with each other.

I disagree with people who say Megan/Burna Boy will be quiet. I'd say they are a very sensible alternative to Paul McCartney for younger people and they'll both be absolutely fine. I think that run of Glass Animals- Olivia - Burna Boy - Megan will retain a lot of the same crowd on Other.

27 minutes ago, tazbang said:

Glastonbury 2011, I had the misfortune of working the John Peel tent when the god-awful Glasvegas headlined. I think the John Peel tent is something like a 12,000 capacity, with 1,000s more watching from outside the tent for big draws. However, often the headliners don't get the large crowds as they are up against big hitters. Crowd for Hurts for example, against the Rolling Stones and Chase & Status, was pretty sparse in that tent, probably not even a 1,000.

Anyway, I was stuck in John Peel to watch my absolutely least favourite band, who I'd already endured once at a free festival, while crowd pleasing Coldplay and The Chems were playing the Pyramid and Other stages respectively. Turns out the whole of Glastonbury has the same opinion of Glasvegas as I do... NO ONE TURNED UP!

When I say no one, that is not quite true, but excluding fire stewards, security, stage crew and the band themselves, I'm not sure it reached double digits. The whole crowd, and quite a few fire stewards, were on the barrier, the rest of the 12,000 capacity tent was deserted. I would have felt sorry for any band other than Glasvegas, but the lead singer came over as a total prick on Buzzcocks.

Glasvegas played like nothing was odd, lead singer strutting around as normal, you would have thought he was playing to a full tent. Must have been dying inside, maybe I did feel a little bit sorry for them.

image.thumb.png.e3275b7b6be7766537f923b48d1eec02.pngLooks like a few more than double digits to me? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FakeEmpire said:

I disagree with people who say Megan/Burna Boy will be quiet. I'd say they are a very sensible alternative to Paul McCartney for younger people and they'll both be absolutely fine.

I agree with this, whereas I imagine there will be a decent number of people (including me) who would love to see Jamie T but can't pass up the opportunity to see Sir Paul.

14 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Can definitely see Roisin and Jessie struggling to attract crowds to their disco dance-a-longs 

I still can't get my head around this booking. Cannibalising each other's crowd more or less.

I think Jessie will do OK as she starts a bit later so might attract people who have gone to see a bit of Macca (or another headliner) then head over to The Park.

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Thinking Burna Boy and Megan will get a poor showing is just efestivals showing it’s demographic.

Burna Boy is absolutely huge and I think a lot of people going to see him will probably stick around for Megan.

I agree.

The kids in work all mentioned him when they saw the line up. I hadn't heard of him

Just now, LinvoyPrimus said:

I still can't get my head around this booking. Cannibalising each other's crowd more or less.

I think Jessie will do OK as she starts a bit later so might attract people who have gone to see a bit of Macca (or another headliner) then head over to The Park.

Yeah very weird to put two Downlow crowd loving gals against each other.

12 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

I'll be honest I still have dreams that some COVID cancellations lead to either or both of these doing another set so I get a chance to see them. 

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I agree.

The kids in work all mentioned him when they saw the line up. I hadn't heard of him

Yes a Nigerian singer massive in the dancehall, afrobeats market who collabs with some of the worlds biggest rappers. Saying you think he will have a poor showing is just being blind to an entire demographic that exists. It’s a bit harmlessly ignorant.

Looking at the other race and Glastonbury thread I think this is a good example of where some of the issue lies. Thinking that there’s no audience at Glastonbury for someone who isn’t a white band from Manchester.

Edited by Matt42

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even small Pyramid headline crowds are still quite big. I don't see why it would be any worse than Metallica or Arcade Fire.

Loved both those headline sets as I was able to get right up front for both. If it's the same for Kendrick... fine with that.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'll be honest I still have dreams that some COVID cancellations lead to either or both of these doing another set so I get a chance to see them. 

Yeah in the nicest way possible, if people could get a nice, symptomless, non-lethal dose of covid and free up some of my line-up clashes, it'll be grand.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes a Nigerian singer massive in the dancehall, afrobeats market who collabs with some of the worlds biggest rappers. Saying you think he will have a poor showing is just being blind to an entire demographic that exists. It’s a bit harmlessly ignorant.

Looking at the other race and Glastonbury thread I think this is a good example of where some of the issue lies. Thinking that there’s no audience at Glastonbury for someone who isn’t a white band from Manchester.

You talk some bollocks. 

Maybe they just have a different opinion to you, no?

Not knowing Burna Boy's popularity doesn't make you a racist. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

You talk some bollocks. 

Maybe they just have a different opinion to you, no?

Not knowing Burna Boy's popularity doesn't make you a racist. 

That’s literally not what I said. But carry on.

My point was that saying Burna Boy and Megan will just get a poor showing is making a pretty huge assumption that the glasto crowd is only interested in McCartney and discounting genres that they probably just know nothing about.

I remember going to see Annie (Norwegian pop singer) headline a tent in the Dance Field in 2008 and there was about 8 of us in there. She was really quite amazing (and deserves to have been as big as Robyn tbf) but it was really awkward to watch a headliner with just a handful of other people.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That’s literally not what I said. But carry on.

My point was that saying Burna Boy and Megan will just get a poor showing is making a pretty huge assumption that the glasto crowd is only interested in McCartney and discounting genres that they probably just know nothing about.

It isnt what you said, I think the confusion here is: you replied to me, who didn't know who Burna Boy was til I spoke to others. You were not accusing me of racism. I know that.

Personally I think putting something completely different to McCartney / Noel is a good thing. I hope Berna & Megan get a good crowd.

Same with Kendrick / PSB. Split the crowd & make it varied.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

It isnt what you said, I think the confusion here is because you replied to me, who didn't know who Burna Boy was til I spoke to others. You were not accusing me of racism. I know that.

Personally I think putting something completely different to McCartney / Noel is a good thing. I hope Berna & Megan get a good crowd.

Yes exactly. I do agree that PSB will probably get a very other crowd as their appeal is pretty diverse and cross generational. However to say Kendrick will struggle as a result is a reach. 

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It isnt what you said, I think the confusion here is: you replied to me, who didn't know who Burna Boy was til I spoke to others. You were not accusing me of racism. I know that.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yes exactly. I do agree that PSB will probably get a very other crowd as their appeal is pretty diverse and cross generational. However to say Kendrick will struggle as a result is a reach. 

OK apologies then as I've misinterpreted what has been said here.

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

This I agree on, should always be that way. 

I guess I'm just questioning how much of a draw Megan will be against Macca. 

We're all just guessing though, right?

I hope Meg gets a good crowd, don't like anybody to be playing to one man and his dog.