Where do you visit on the way to the festival?

irnkrtn

I'm interested in what you all do on the way down, across or up. I know some people are rushing to get there ASAP and looking for the speediest route, but for those heading to car parks for a Tuesday night - do you have any rituals? Any places you stop over and visit on the way? 

Usually, we make a point of climbing the Tor to take a look at the site beforehand. Although my current bout of COVID I think I'll be sensible and give this a miss to conserve my energy for the big event. 

• Upvote 1

I go to Glastonbury, the town. Hang around for a few days, get in the mood and go up the Tor. Great to see the site in the distance from up there. Sometimes I stay in Glastonbury, sometimes in the village of Street. Love it and it is part of my festival experience now. When you talk to locals they refer to the festival as 'Pilton'.

Coming from Glasgow in a minibus our stops are:-

service stations, dependant  on how much alcohol has been drunk by the passengers 🙂

Asda Bristol Patchway, to replace what alcohol  has been drunk on the way

The Knowle Inn at Bawdrip

Carpark and queue.

Edited by THEBOILERMAN
  • Like 1

Southampton services are exactly halfway in terms of driving times - two hours down the a/m27, then a stop, then up the a36 thru Salisbury and down the a303 etc. I have my last porcelain poop there, and then on the way back i have my first porcelain poop 👍

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Southampton services are exactly halfway in terms of driving times - two hours down the a/m27, then a stop, then up the a36 thru Salisbury and down the a303 etc. I have my last porcelain poop there, and then on the way back i have my first porcelain poop 👍

I had a mid-festival porcelain poop one year, when I got into Heaven. It was really muddy underfoot. They took our wellies, gave us slippers and proper loos. Still think I imagined it! 

Just now, shuttlep said:

Wells as we stay there Tuesday night

if we are running early , stop off at Chedder and get some cheese

I LOVE a Cheddar stop on the way in. When we went to Worthy Pastures, we went and spent an extortionate amount on delicious cheese and cider on the way. Would definitely recommend an ice cream from the italian ice cream place at the bottom of the The Cliffs. Can't remember what its called?

I have to drive back on my own to Cumbria so really don't fancy doing that in one go. Wouldn't be safe. 

I work for YHA so get free stays so usually book for nearby for the Monday (Bath this year)  then sometimes a second night too. Wye Valley for that this year. I'm not due back at work until the Saturday so no rush to get home. 

25 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Motorway wise, the services for Glasto goers seems to be:

Bridgewater from the S/W,

Leigh Delemare from London and East (unless going M3)

Glocester from North (replacing Michael Wood in popularity now I think).

I come down the A34 from Oxford then join the A303 at the junction for Andover…we usually stop at the Solstice Park services which are always very busy with people going to Glastonbury.