Food prices

Chrisp1986

I just wanted to chip in that I agree that prices have gone up, and that covid has caused damage within this industry, but also need to point out that in years gone by a lot of traders wouldn't necessarily had any loyalty to punters at Glastonbury. Quite the opposite in fact. Most were / and are there to make money, and if they can they want it to be big money. From you.*

* In my early days at Glastonbury I saw the queues for two large Doughnut rigs that were there. On my return to work I mentioned to a work colleague that the queues for the Doughnut stalls were mentally long etc. He ( an older but less well paid than me bloke) responded that he knew only too well that they queued up with their cash etc. he told me it was because those rigs were his rigs. I didn't believe him at first. However, he could see my enthusiasm (it was my one and only interest in earning money - I was in my 20's) and arranged for the both of us to go to his house so that I could see (and potentially buy) the very first and small Doughnut stall that he started off from (but not at Glastonbury). So, we both made some shit up at work and he drove me to his house - a very large country house with a rolls Royce outside. There I saw his two stored large Glastonbury rigs in a barn, as well as the small one - which I did eventually buy. To cut a long story short he had as much disdain for Glastonbury punters as he did for HMRC, and told me so.

26 minutes ago, august1 said:

I don't think the traders should be expected to provide £5 meals or be hiking their prices to ridiclous levels.

Surely there is a balance with reduced pitch fees, and the festival, vendors, punters all taking a bit of the hit

The £5 thing is one of the key bits of the festival ethos though that make it different. It just about makes it a bit more accessible for everyone. 

Whether that should still be £5 or should now be £6/£7.50 I dunno but it not being entirely about blatently making as much money as possible is part of the charm. 

Most ingredients have risen between 20 and 50% since the beginning of the pandemic.

HOWEVER... That isn't the only consideration for Glastonbury stallholders. A very significant slice of their costs will be the fees. If the festival have kept these similar, then we may not see the same kind of price rises. (20-50%) 

EXAMPLE (simplified)

Menu Item production cost £1

Breakdown of cost:
Ingredients & Packaging: 40p
Pitch and Energy: 40p
Wages: 10p
Other: 10p

Sale Price (50% GP) £2.40 (inc 40p VAT) 

So if we add 50% onto the cost of ingredients it makes the total cost of item £1.20... To sell that item for the same amount of gross profit now makes it £2.98 (inc 48p VAT) 

So you can see this is nowhere near the 50% increase of the price of ingredients. 

A LOT will depend on how much other costs have increased, the most significant one being the pitch fees. We know wages have risen only slightly. Most forms of energy have risen significantly, however Solar Power has obviously not risen. Propane prices have come down and are still falling, it's currently only 10% higher than a previous peak in 2018. 

tl;dr What I'm trying to say is that, maybe the stalls aren't exposed to some of the increasing costs experienced by physical restaurants and bars. rent, mains electricity and natural gas being prime examples. 

Edited by Alvoram

9 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

How much does Glastonbury charge stall holders ?   Guessing that has a direct impact on how much the stall holders need to charge...

I once paid £1 for a single piece of toast at Glastonbury 🙂   and that was at least 13 years ago 😛   What a rip off but was so required at the time 😄 

8 hours ago, Ducky89 said:

My pal paid £6-7k for their stall. 
But will vary in size of pitch, location, type of vendor etc..

This sort of pitch fee was very decent for the location and the amount of serving hours you got compared to other festivals, but the issue with all festival catering is that there are so many uncontrollable variables / risk from one event to another, one year to the next.

my pal has now really scaled back the number of events they attend because often it’s little reward for the hours of graft put in.

As @Ducky89 said, it varies depending on many factors, some of which they mentioned. The price would also depend on the eco-friendliness of the trader, and track record. Each year the markets team run awards and winning is obviously helpful in terms of getting your spot back. It’s not a simple case of pay your fee and turn up, as with other festivals, but more a case of making an application and the farm seeing if you fit in with their carefully curated food festival within a festival. For example, look around any area you find yourself in and you’ll see vegan options, world food, sweet and savoury options and a big standard burger van around you. Balance. 

1 hour ago, moogster said:

I just want to give it up to the festival for having the co-op and allowing people to bring food and drink in. I was at a festival this week end where security took away a small pack of saltines from someone's bag when entering. That's quite sad.

Yep exactly this. The main way the festival allow you to keep your  costs low is the ability to bring your own food and drink. They also encourage reusable bottles and give water out more freely than any other festival or concert venue I have ever been to. The CoOp will also help people out a lot but if you can afford it definitely do your best to buy from the traders who have had an awful couple of years. 

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You'll be lucky to get a scotch egg for a fiver.

My memory is awful - there was a scotch egg stall up near but not on Williams green. I did have a meal - can't remember what the mean and it wasn't £5. I need to take more photos of my food!

41 minutes ago, benc said:

My memory is awful - there was a scotch egg stall up near but not on Williams green. I did have a meal - can't remember what the mean and it wasn't £5. I need to take more photos of my food!

A proper decent scotch egg is worth a fiver. The supermarket equivalent isn't even fit to bear the name. See also: pork pies.

5 hours ago, benc said:

I had this! I think it was around £7.50 but I had it with sweet potato fries. It had a soft yolk too iirc.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, august1 said:

I expected the hike but a bit steep overall wasnt it?

at the Gloucester Services on the way home, much bigger portions and about 30% cheaper.

Always been London pub prices, i'd like to a see food/service station comparsion!

I thought the opposite.

Considering I was expected to pay £6 for absolutely piss beer, I found the food incredible value.

There was a stall near BBC doing a pasty, chips and beans for £5 and loaded the plate, Tibetan kitchen was absolutely massive portions for £8/10 and I had a really nice pizza near the gateway for the exact same price I would pay at a local pizzeria up north

I did notice an increase in shit food vendors, but overall there was still an incredible amount of choice of great food and all for roughly the price of a pint

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

I thought prices where very good to be fair, £10 for a decent meal, £12 for something a bit rare, a bit bigger or some combo meal, didn’t notice things much higher than this, except pizzas around £14, thought drinks were fair too, considering everything that’s gone on in that last few years

In relation to other festivals I’ve been to this year the Glastonbury options were remarkably well priced and much better quality/options. No complaints here.

Might be just me but found there to be far more vegetarian and vegan places/options than before. Is the festival trying to ensure a 50:50 split? And could we see the start of a meat free day - maybe Thursday? 

55 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

In relation to other festivals I’ve been to this year the Glastonbury options were remarkably well priced and much better quality/options. No complaints here.

Might be just me but found there to be far more vegetarian and vegan places/options than before. Is the festival trying to ensure a 50:50 split? And could we see the start of a meat free day - maybe Thursday? 

I think more veggie options means theres cheaper food to be had cause youre not adding a protein which increases the cost right from the start. But that also seems to be a turnoff for some because they just see the V labels and dont bother to try anything form the menu even though its probably delicious. 

You need to see what the portions are like before purchasing - have a little look over someone's shoulder or something.
£12 for 3 very small tacos? no thanks
£5 for large dirty fries with a butt-load of toppings? yes please

Maybe the extra £5 for stuffing,onions, sauces etc isn't worth it.
Get it plain for £5 and add your own sauces.
(My example here was a hotdog)