Food prices

Chrisp1986

Apologies if discussed before but couldn't see a thread.

What sort of percent increase are people expecting on food stalls? Eg how much will an oggie and growler be?

I was at BT and the food was absolutely extortionate but not been there before so nothing to compare it against. Are there any food stall holders on here?

42 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Isn’t there some sort of meal for £5 initiative that some of the stalls participate in?

Yes - all stalls are required to offer a 'meal' for £5.

Two traders I'm related to have confirmed it's still a requirement this year. 

• Upvote 1

Just chucking my thoughts on this into the mix, although fully understand peoples circumstances and budgets are different (given what I share below, my own isn’t great right now!) but a perspective from an ex food trader. 🙂

Until recently I owned a catering/hospitality business, unfortunately we had to close our doors earlier this year due in the most part to the rapidly escalating costs.

To give an idea, one ingredient we used to buy for £14.99 at the end of last year. By the time we closed this had increased to £24.99. The week after we closed I received a “promo” flyer advertising it at £29.99, then £34.99, now it’s hit £40.

Had we been able to continue trading, we’d have had to have doubled our prices and then some.

Yes it seemed steep at BT, but these prices have 3 years of rises and 3 years of lost earnings factored into them. 

If a trader being able to feed their family and pay their staff means I’ve got to pay a tenner for a meal, even fifteen quid, then it is what it is. I’d rather that than see them go under as we did, see them skip meals themselves, see their staff lose out.

Yep it’s shit, and yes I’ll make adjustments elsewhere to be able to afford to do it, but it is what it is. 

• Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Brilliant. Is it up to traders what they class as a meal?

13 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

Does it have to be a substantial meal?

I'm not clear on that, but understand the festival do have guidelines around this as the application process to trade is stringent and includes a requirement to submit a menu and pricelist - I think the idea is the £5 meal should be 'substantial'. 

24 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

Just chucking my thoughts on this into the mix, although fully understand peoples circumstances and budgets are different (given what I share below, my own isn’t great right now!) but a perspective from an ex food trader. 🙂

Until recently I owned a catering/hospitality business, unfortunately we had to close our doors earlier this year due in the most part to the rapidly escalating costs.

To give an idea, one ingredient we used to buy for £14.99 at the end of last year. By the time we closed this had increased to £24.99. The week after we closed I received a “promo” flyer advertising it at £29.99, then £34.99, now it’s hit £40.

Had we been able to continue trading, we’d have had to have doubled our prices and then some.

Yes it seemed steep at BT, but these prices have 3 years of rises and 3 years of lost earnings factored into them. 

If a trader being able to feed their family and pay their staff means I’ve got to pay a tenner for a meal, even fifteen quid, then it is what it is. I’d rather that than see them go under as we did, see them skip meals themselves, see their staff lose out.

Yep it’s shit, and yes I’ll make adjustments elsewhere to be able to afford to do it, but it is what it is. 

It’s easy to forget the vendors are people too, only people with businesses far more vulnerable than those of us with regular jobs. Many will have gambled with making a loss to satisfy GFL’s understandable requirements for affordable food to be part of the menu. I’ll try to remember to get the £5 meal and give them a little extra once or twice during the weekend. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

How much does Glastonbury charge stall holders ?   Guessing that has a direct impact on how much the stall holders need to charge...

I once paid £1 for a single piece of toast at Glastonbury 🙂   and that was at least 13 years ago 😛   What a rip off but was so required at the time 😄 

My pal paid £6-7k for their stall. 
But will vary in size of pitch, location, type of vendor etc..

This sort of pitch fee was very decent for the location and the amount of serving hours you got compared to other festivals, but the issue with all festival catering is that there are so many uncontrollable variables / risk from one event to another, one year to the next.

my pal has now really scaled back the number of events they attend because often it’s little reward for the hours of graft put in.

1 hour ago, waynewdk said:

Was speaking to someone today and they said at Park Life it was £17 for a burger and chips

Parklife were making traders buy the gear from them to sell. one trader at NBHD said he bought a slab of waters for £5 from Bookers but for PL he had to buy it for £19! Also no tap water available at PL from what I was told.

At NBHD it was about 12-15 quid for a main, they were told what price to sell at. 

I own a pizza business and just had to shut our restaurant and go mobile due to the ridiculous rise in overheads. Frying oil for fries etc was £20 for 20L in december and now its £40. The cheese we buy from our italian distributor has gone up from £50 for 12kg to £75. Really hard time for the food industry so i'm more than expecting to pay more this year. 

1 minute ago, Brad2434 said:

I own a pizza business and just had to shut our restaurant and go mobile due to the ridiculous rise in overheads. Frying oil for fries etc was £20 for 20L in december and now its £40. The cheese we buy from our italian distributor has gone up from £50 for 12kg to £75. Really hard time for the food industry so i'm more than expecting to pay more this year. 

Our local pizza van can’t take any more orders most weekends and it’s bloody great gear! Good luck with the mobile matey!

1 minute ago, august1 said:

I don't think the traders should be expected to provide £5 meals or be hiking their prices to ridiclous levels.

Surely there is a balance with reduced pitch fees, and the festival, vendors, punters all taking a bit of the hit

Yeah, I'd almost feel bad getting a meal for a fiver given the circumstances.