Metamorphosis

Garrypp

I have seen a few people talking about this not happening this year, do we know if that's actually a thing?  There seem to be lots of gaps in Arcadia so are they keeping some things up their sleeves or having to possibly cut back after so much time away? I'd love to see the spider come to life again. Cheers!

It might be a money thing - they invested in the crane/Pangea, but then didn't get planning permission for it to stay at the festival site, and it wasn't feasible to move it away then bring it back for Glastonbury so the idea was shelved and the spider returned. They must be smarting from that I bet 😞 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They replied on one of the socials saying it's not happening.

Oh wow, you can feel the burn from the Pangea non-starter, can’t you. Poor Arcadians - it must have been rough. They’ll need to regroup. We’re probably lucky they’re there at all. 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Oh wow, you can feel the burn from the Pangea non-starter, can’t you. Poor Arcadians - it must have been rough. They’ll need to regroup. We’re probably lucky they’re there at all. 

I really feel for them, they were so fired up about the possibilities for Pangea, which as much as it was just a crane, was absolutely massive and had so much potential. Imagine what it could have been like by now if it wasn't for COVID and the lack of planning permission. Would it have been genuinely awesome - awe inspiring even - or would it have still looked like a crane, just with more stuff on it? I guess we'll never know, but I wish we could have found out and I bet they do to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cooter said:

Maybe just me but I thought the crane thing was a bit of an unnecessary eyesore. Always surprises me how many people loved it.

I was only ever in there for 40 minutes which was probably the perfect time to see it, think it was cool and then go to the SE corner. Friends who stayed for hours were less keen.

12 hours ago, prog seller said:

They could have spent the pandemic developing new shows? 

Not if they furloughed their staff and themselves. They're an actual company, not a few self-employed individuals, so they had the option to have the government cover 80% of their wage, but that comes at the cost of not being allowed to do any work for the company.

The crane was cool, but it was clearly always a crane - an object many are familiar with in everyday life - unlike a giant spider made out of upcycled x ray units from an airport...

As for the planning - they hoped the'd get away with it being up permanently but didn't (unlike Eavis with his pyramid frame...), so just bad luck really there.

14 hours ago, t0paz said:

The Arcadia crew bar have posted their listings for Fri-Sun and each day 9:30pm Is listed as ‘Spider awakes’.

So maybe some kind of smaller cut back show before the first act at 10pm?

They have done this kind of thing before, at least I've seen it done when they used to be at Boomtown. They probably have done it at Glastonbury too. It was always in addition to the main "show".

Essentially the spider will slowly come to life over the course of 30 minutes. First a few lights flashing, then a few minutes later the eyes might move, then maybe the arms. Etc etc. The music will start slow and eerie, then gain pace right at the end. It's just a bit of warm up before the first act, nothing overly spectacular.

If you're in the area, you could check it out. But probably not worth walking across the site for unless you really love Arcadia.