Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

I held off on the early bird tickets. I may well regret it with the price difference and the likely strong line up, but gotta cut your cloth somewhere. 

Will see later in the year how my usual PS crew is holding up, there wasn't much appetite for the extra spending this week more than anything. Too many other holidays and gigs to pay off! It's a tough life... 😂

On 7/7/2022 at 4:37 PM, Guy Incognito said:

Still reckon Portishead are very unlikely. Would love for it to happen but nothing yet to indicate it will. 

Four things:

They played their first gig in 7 years very recently, Beak are primavera regulars, Gabi has talked about booking Portishead and they’re a perfect fit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Four things:

They played their first gig in 7 years very recently, Beak are primavera regulars, Gabi has talked about booking Portishead and they’re a perfect fit.

All true, and IF (or hopefully when) they'll reunite, Primavera is clearly one of the first options. But these points (aside from the Ukraine benfit gig) are true every year, and they are rumoured every year. Still didnt see any real indication it's this year

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

All true, and IF (or hopefully when) they'll reunite, Primavera is clearly one of the first options. But these points (aside from the Ukraine benfit gig) are true every year, and they are rumoured every year. Still didnt see any real indication it's this year

Interview with Gabi from 2019: 

"Portishead is basically Geoff. And he comes with Beak a lot. He is a big fan of the festival. I have some spy out there who has told me that there may be a Portishead record next year. I have a spy. So… Well, if they are fans of the festival, and they have a record… I don't know if next year or the next… I don't know any plans. Maybe they would make theatres first and then festivals… I don't see it that far away "

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

They were rumored for 2021 I think, a delay would make total sense (just like Gabi has mentioned regarding Nine Inch Nails - at some point he said they will perform in Primavera LA first and arrive to Europe in 2023)

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Interview with Gabi from 2019: 

"Portishead is basically Geoff. And he comes with Beak a lot. He is a big fan of the festival. I have some spy out there who has told me that there may be a Portishead record next year. I have a spy. So… Well, if they are fans of the festival, and they have a record… I don't know if next year or the next… I don't know any plans. Maybe they would make theatres first and then festivals… I don't see it that far away "

Three years passed and no record or even starting to work on one.

Yes, Corona slowed everything down, but mostly tours and shows, records kept coming out except maybe the first few months.

Im not saying it will never happen, there are rumors about them and Pavement for as long as I can remember, and we got Pavement eventually, so I assume one day it will happen, but I still dont see anything concrete for this year

On 6/30/2022 at 11:30 AM, xxialac said:

So we get 'bigger productions' (i.e. the stage people have more time to set up), not that I enjoyed the stage setups any more than in any previous years.

And in exchange a worse customer experience (the crowd doesn't disperse properly, worse viewing angles with the stage not being central, the ugliness of watching a band whilst the other band's roadies set up nearby as a distraction (Gorillaz W1 being the worst case)).

Do you mean watching Tyler's set be built during Gorillaz? Damon had an obvious comical look at it at one point. 

The side by side stages is in theory very clever, but in reality the crushes during the intervals between sets (an obvious example) Nick Cave and Gorillaz W1 sets) was horrible to be in the middle of. 

I wasn't a fan of the side-by-side stages at all. If I could make one change for next year, it would be to revert to the older set up. But given Gabi's remarks about how successful it was, that ain't happening. 

I think the combination of the mega crowd gathering all together, combined with the distracting set up/dismantling while the other act was on just meant it was a bit off, for me. 

So now I'm at the stage of hoping that I'm not too keen on any of the major headliners, which is a bit strange. I'd be much happier with a weekend of bouncing from Cupra to Binance and Plenitude etc. 

Anyway, in headliner prediction games... Lcd Soundsystem? Been a while since they were there, not sure how the BBK performance went. 

I can definitely see Rosalia or Bad Bunny as the big pop headline act, which is cool as I'm not too into either, so I'd be able to wander off. 

And everyone seems very confident in Nine Inch Nails or Portishead so I can get on board there.

5 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Do you mean watching Tyler's set be built during Gorillaz? Damon had an obvious comical look at it at one point. 

The side by side stages is in theory very clever, but in reality the crushes during the intervals between sets (an obvious example) Nick Cave and Gorillaz W1 sets) was horrible to be in the middle of. 

Yes.

I don't remember anything like the same level of criticism of the 2-stage setup in previous years and for me also the major change was too crowded and claustrophobic.

Gabi has as good as confirmed it's here to stay so I'm hoping for strong undercard and weak headliners next year (or maybe will also go to Porto to catch the headline acts).

On 7/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, xxialac said:

Yes.

I don't remember anything like the same level of criticism of the 2-stage setup in previous years and for me also the major change was too crowded and claustrophobic.

Gabi has as good as confirmed it's here to stay so I'm hoping for strong undercard and weak headliners next year (or maybe will also go to Porto to catch the headline acts).

Given the crazy amount of top level undercards and mid level acts we had in this double weekend thing I can’t think of any band of that level that wasn’t here in 2022 that could be booked next year (besides swans, phoebe Bridgers, just to name a few out of my mind). Of course I am missing the picture but I have the feeling that next year will be huge headliners and a bit less of mid level quality acts 

13 minutes ago, Jefb said:

There´s a pretty easy solution to the 2 main stage thing. 

When main 1 is playing you just cover the other main up with a giant curtain. They do this at Graspop and it works very well

Good thinking but for me (and it seems for others too) found the setup distraction only a secondary problem to the main problem, which was the horrific overcrowding and claustrophobia which I didn’t experience in any previous Primavera and which was mostly caused by the new two stage setting.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Given the crazy amount of top level undercards and mid level acts we had in this double weekend thing I can’t think of any band of that level that wasn’t here in 2022 that could be booked next year (besides swans, phoebe Bridgers, just to name a few out of my mind). Of course I am missing the picture but I have the feeling that next year will be huge headliners and a bit less of mid level quality acts 

Jungle

The War on Drugs

Japandroids

Karate

Sunny Day Real Estate

Angel Olsen

Father John Misty

BadBadNotGood

Perfume Genius

Ty Segall

Aldous Harding

Spoon

Dehd

Ethel Cain

Sudan Archives

Soccer Mommy

Durand Jones 

Just to name a few...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MeMeMeM said:

Jungle

The War on Drugs

Japandroids

Karate

Sunny Day Real Estate

Angel Olsen

Father John Misty

BadBadNotGood

Perfume Genius

Ty Segall

Aldous Harding

Spoon

Dehd

Ethel Cain

Sudan Archives

Soccer Mommy

Durand Jones 

Just to name a few...

Not comparable with beach house bauhaus fountaines earl sweatshirt & the rest of 2022 crew imo (the smile, playboy carti at cupra!!!). We had potential headliners this year in smaller stages 

Edited by Whos3000_

10 hours ago, MeMeMeM said:

Jungle

The War on Drugs

Japandroids

Karate

Sunny Day Real Estate

Angel Olsen

Father John Misty

BadBadNotGood

Perfume Genius

Ty Segall

Aldous Harding

Spoon

Dehd

Ethel Cain

Sudan Archives

Soccer Mommy

Durand Jones 

Just to name a few...

On the electronic side Primavera can have Justice (new album incoming), Bonobo, Moderat, Hot Chip, Floating Points, Polo & Pan, The Blaze, Four Tet/KH, Kelly Lee Owens, Mura Masa and others which played on other Spanish festivals (including Sonar) in 2022

17 minutes ago, Orens said:

On the electronic side Primavera can have Justice (new album incoming), Bonobo, Moderat, Hot Chip, Floating Points, Polo & Pan, The Blaze, Four Tet/KH, Kelly Lee Owens, Mura Masa and others which played on other Spanish festivals (including Sonar) in 2022

Forest Swords and Hudson Mohawke are also due new albums out, who would be great late night slots somewhere. Justice are almost certain to be booked if there's a new record I think. I think I'd rather see 'fresh' returning artists rather than those sorts of artists that have already done the circuit pretty extensively in 2022 (and in some cases 2021).

Though I am curious to see how they approach the electronic side of things next time given the failure of Bits to pull many crowds this year.

• Upvote 2

Would love to see some of those on the line-up:

Snail Mail

Death Cab for Cutie

Mitski

James Blake

Wilco

Pinegrove

St. Vincent

Wolf Alice

Mac DeMarco

Julia Jacklin

Joji

Tinashe

Deafheaven

Arca

Surf Curse/Current Joys

Sports Team

Soccer Mommy

Lucy Dacus

070 Shake

Alex G

Superorganism

Whitney

fka twigs

Maybe The 1975

(and Phoebe Bridgers of course)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Not comparable with beach house bauhaus fountaines earl sweatshirt & the rest of 2022 crew imo (the smile, playboy carti at cupra!!!). We had potential headliners this year in smaller stages 

That is a mater of taste. I understand your point, but there are a lot of great bands/artists that have not played this year and might be there on 2023.

Potential headliners in smaller stages you get every year.

I just named a few, but other users mentioned a lot of others. In my opinion, no reason to say that 23 we will get worst undercard/mid level.