Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

33 minutes ago, Bram said:

The PS Madrid location farther to city than Madcool? Only went to Madrid in 2014, and really unfamiliar with the city.

According to Google Maps the site is 43 km from Plaza Mayor in central Madrid. So about 45 minutes with shuttle bus and then factor in queueing for those buses. And then getting to accomodation from where the shuttle bus drops people off. So could be a couple of hours. 

2 hours ago, Rhak said:

To be honest, I only see this work if they do it like this year: 2 seperate weekends with an overlap in some headliners but mostly different lineups. Only then internationals would be tempted to chose Madrid. Or maybe they're looking to divert the Spanish public (non BCN locals) towards Madrid and focus on internationals in BCN. Still, the challenges for Madrid remain. 

No way will they do different lineups. Too difficult and was only driven this year by need to get people to do two weekends in Barcelona.

And even if they do, it would be in vain as they still won't attract anything other than a few international people.

The strategy is clearly that Madrid is a (far) bigger city than Barcelona and just focus on selling tickets to this large catchment area using the good reputation of Primavera Sound.

7 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Why would different lineups be too difficult, given that they pulled it off this year? 

Because you have to book twice as many bands (almost twice the work) and by signing bands up to package of e.g. Barcelona+Madrid+Porto you in fact make it more attractive/efficient for the promoters.

There is no good reason for having different lineups.

Porto has been a sub-set of Barcelona's lineup ever since it started.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Because you have to book twice as many bands (almost twice the work) and by signing bands up to package of e.g. Barcelona+Madrid+Porto you in fact make it more attractive/efficient for the promoters.

Yeah but for all we know, Primavera added more programming staff in order to book the Madrid lineup. Also note that Porto took acts that played only W1 or W2 this year, so Primavera can still offer package deals to bands.

And the good reason for having different lineups would be to attract people to attend both weekends, as what worked for this year in Barcelona. Whether it will succeed with Madrid is an unknown factor, but it's still in the festival's best interest to try.

12 hours ago, xxialac said:

+A couple of names that pop up at Sonar and can't be booked in Barcelona. This year I recall Octo Octa&Eris Drew as night closers, but even headliners in Justice following their latest album.

Primavera can definitely book a Sonar headliner again, this time in Madrid

On 6/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, daveje said:

https://www.parool.nl/wereld/slapend-van-amsterdam-naar-barcelona-vanaf-eind-2023-kan-het-met-de-trein~bebee737/

Plans for a night train from Amsterdam to Barcelona, three times a week, starting end of next year, maybe even earlier.

Great, need that from central/SE Europe as well, not fan of plans, especially while having cold.

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2022 at 9:49 PM, Olivedal 1904 said:

According to Google Maps the site is 43 km from Plaza Mayor in central Madrid. So about 45 minutes with shuttle bus and then factor in queueing for those buses. And then getting to accomodation from where the shuttle bus drops people off. So could be a couple of hours. 

Wow… I’ll stick with PS Barcelona then (or leave my comfort zone and try Mad Cool or BBK)

1 minute ago, Bram said:

Kendrick…Holy Hell!!!!! Really curious of which Spanish Festivals that will be able to get Kendrick next year. My initial guess is Mad Cool, while PS will get Travis Scott.

I’m sure Kendrick owes BBK a show after the pandemic in 2020. Be interesting to see if he gets rebooked at all of those events or if his stock has rose even more after last night (which it definitely should have)

Interesting and somewhat upsetting to read some of the chatter on the Glasto forum this morning about crowd crushes, surges, over capacity issues, over-zealous bouncers, and hour-long bar queues. 

I assume its not indicative of everyone's experience of Glasto but its certainly very reminiscent of the Primavera 2022 thread on here (which also wasn't reminiscent of everyone's experience tbf, mine included), particularly in the days after weekend one.

A few of the regular posters on there made the point that the issues we saw at Primavera were a combination of bad organisation from the promoters, and poor staff levels and inexperience among the staff hired. 

Certainly if the reports from elsewhere are to be believed, it seems its a wider issue. 

Hopefully one that is resolved the more events take place, but it's a little concerning really. 

I think we'd all like to see smaller crowds at all of these events but I just don't see it happening, really. 

21 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I think we'd all like to see smaller crowds at all of these events but I just don't see it happening, really. 

I agree with you. But if they say that the early bird tickets will cost 250 eur (for Barcelona only) and the capacity will be like in 2019 at most, I would gladly pay the price.

But most probably, the capacity will stay the same as this year (hopefully not higher) and the tickets will still be much more expensive than in 2019.

1 minute ago, Fnmentaluk said:

Where did you see that. Can't find anything. And also Friday is not a normal day , usually a Tue or Wednesday they release tickets, lineup etc

Was an assertive comment on the official forum.

But doesn't look likely now. However imagine they will want to cash in on the momentum from this edition so will surely be in early July, if not the 1st.

19 hours ago, pipan said:

I agree with you. But if they say that the early bird tickets will cost 250 eur (for Barcelona only) and the capacity will be like in 2019 at most, I would gladly pay the price.

But most probably, the capacity will stay the same as this year (hopefully not higher) and the tickets will still be much more expensive than in 2019.

I guess this wouldn't take into account profits made on merch, bars, etc.  Plus there'll be deals made with councils on the proviso that XX thousand people will be spending money in the city too.  Maybe.  I dunno.  This is why I don't run festivals.

20 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Interesting and somewhat upsetting to read some of the chatter on the Glasto forum this morning about crowd crushes, surges, over capacity issues, over-zealous bouncers, and hour-long bar queues. 

I assume its not indicative of everyone's experience of Glasto but its certainly very reminiscent of the Primavera 2022 thread on here (which also wasn't reminiscent of everyone's experience tbf, mine included), particularly in the days after weekend one.

A few of the regular posters on there made the point that the issues we saw at Primavera were a combination of bad organisation from the promoters, and poor staff levels and inexperience among the staff hired. 

Certainly if the reports from elsewhere are to be believed, it seems its a wider issue. 

Hopefully one that is resolved the more events take place, but it's a little concerning really. 

Pinkpop had problems with water distribution on the hottest day. What seems to be a recurring problem is lack of volunteers/personnel (i heard BKS had bars that were quite understaffed but never really a huge problem). I guess people have so many obligations/other opportunities (which might come with better pay) that it's hard for the hospitality sector in general to find enough personnel. Today's Belgian newspapers report of youth organisations finding it harder than ever to find enough volunteers to man the camps (huge thing over here). I guess a lot of the kids just want to spend more of this summer partying than working and whén they work, they'll look for jobs with better pay/hours