Service stations

Poorside.2

14 minutes ago, Poorside.2 said:

We'll be arriving into CV east via the blue route coming down the M5 andthen onto the A37 does anyone have any advice on service stations nearby, decent ones and ones to avoid?

How do you plan to get from M5 and join A37, and where?  Getting to A37 and Blue Route from M5 is tortuous using any of the M5 junctions south of Bristol, at least without going through Bristol itself or by using smaller roads. 

You might want to consider doing M5/M4/A46 to Bath, A36 to Frome then A361 to Shepton and Blue Route.  Lots of last minute stops for supplies that way too. 

Edited by parsonjack
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

You might want to consider doing M5/M4/A46 to Bath, A36 to Frome then A361 to Shepton and Blue Route.  Lots of last minute stops for supplies that way too. 

Does that involve the congestion charging zone in Bath? If it does it may be good to warn people, we can't all drive posh exempt cars. 

46 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Does that involve the congestion charging zone in Bath? If it does it may be good to warn people, we can't all drive posh exempt cars. 

Very good point, thankyou.  Anyone simply following the signs from M4 to Bath on A46, then A36 to Frome would as you suggest be routed through the Clean Air Zone and be potentially liable to the charge.

I'll set a thread warning anyone heading North to South to be aware.

6 hours ago, Poorside.2 said:

We'll be arriving into CV east via the blue route coming down the M5 andthen onto the A37 does anyone have any advice on service stations nearby, decent ones and ones to avoid?

GLOUCESTER SOUTHBOUND.

King of all services. My travel buddy said she's more excited about the services right now than any other part of the week. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Poorside.2 said:

Thanks a million, will definitely look at the route again. 

I use the route similar to what Parsonjack suggests. Good point @pilton digger, I've spent time trying to work out how to avoid at zone in a CV. For those vehicles, the Private HGV class can apply for a £9 cost, or I'm thinking M4 A46 A363 variety of roads to A36 A361. The cost otherwise seems to be £100??

There's a toll bridge on the outskirts of Bath (Mill Lane?) allowing a tortuous route up to the M4. 

6 minutes ago, carlosj said:

I use the route similar to what Parsonjack suggests. Good point @pilton digger, I've spent time trying to work out how to avoid at zone in a CV. For those vehicles, the Private HGV class can apply for a £9 cost, or I'm thinking M4 A46 A363 variety of roads to A36 A361. The cost otherwise seems to be £100??

There's a toll bridge on the outskirts of Bath (Mill Lane?) allowing a tortuous route up to the M4. 

I avoid Bath as the traffic is always dog eggs. That Toll Bridge is a bit busy now the zone is in play.

From the North I would either bite the bullet and go through Bristol (either straight past Temple Meads or St Phillips Marsh way) and down the A37, or go M5 / A39.

If coming from East down the M4, get off at Chippenham and go cross country Westbury/ Trowbridge to Frome and in the A361 to Shepton.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, carlosj said:

The A363 route via Bradford on Avon is a decent alternative unless you're in a large vehicle as BoA is tight in places and is a bit clogged up most of the time.  Other than that it's decent roads all the way and isn't too much of a diversion.  The B3109 from BoA to Rode is also well used. Just watch the junction from B3109 onto the A361 at Rode...bit of an accident black spot with vehicles regularly ending up in the pond opposite.

As @pilton diggersuggests the toll bridge route is a no-no unless you're prepared for a delay, and def not in anything bigger than say a Transit as there are some tight corners to negotiate in Bathampton.

• Thanks 1