Love the farm?

Alvoram

2019 was noticeably better than previous years. The no single-use plastic ban seemed to be a game changer as regards general litter. As for my attitude to rubbish, always use a bin and if one is not available I'll stick my rubbish in my bag until I find one with room. I absolutely hate littering.

30 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I have no idea why they'd do that, maybe somebody was still in that tent on their first pass through?

I'm not suggesting anything is iffy about it. I'm just commenting that there is no rubbish in sight, no cans, bottles, nothing, so it does 'look' as if the cleaning crew have been through. If that's not the case then that is an incredible turnaround!

The fields were amazing … maybe this field was particularly good … but it was absolutely loads better than previous … trend needs to continue though and not go backwards …. Please sign up to worthy warriors on the app and everyone do their bit …. Keep your campsites clean as you go and if you see one that’s a bit of a tip just hand them some bin bags … 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I know someone on one of the litter picking teams, he was telling me it was so much better last time, they were struggling at time to fill their shifts because there wasn't enough rubbish to keep them occupied.

Yeah, there were actually complaints that people didn't have enough work.  

11 minutes ago, Glast0baby said:

I always take everything home and leave the campsite spotless.  The bit I find difficult is the stages when you have empty cartons, etc, and the bins are only on the outskirts of the crowd.  Try my best to create a pile of stuff and take it with me to a bin at the end, but it's harder to do in muddy years.  Any handy tips or tricks ppl have developed for this issue which doesn't involve putting messy rubbish in my clean bag?

Take a spare carrier bag with you, or just take it to a bin as you use it

1 hour ago, jparx said:

It can definitely still improve, and hopefully the call to scale back the camping shops on site might help. I think a lot of people turn up with minimal gear and then buy a lot on site with the sole purpose of using it for the weekend and leaving it there.

But during previous years we could rent mattresses etc at worthy view and this year it's only a shop to purchase. 

Maybe they got rid of the stock they normally rent on the off years?

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

'If' that picture is pre cleanup then that is an incredible difference.... As it doesn't even show a single piece of litter!!! Except for the one tent of course. 

I think there is some litter around that tent, but also expect neighbours would clean up as they were leaving. 

53 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Why would they clean up and leave a tent? 

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I just stumbled upon this on Youtube, and I am absolutely gobsmacked and heart broken. I thought the people that attended Glasto were nice people who 'cared' about the planet and all who inhabit it.

Of course I've seen pictures of a few tents left behind etc, so I knew that it happened to some extent, but I had no idea it happened, or at least 'has' happened to this degree in the past. I thought it was just a tiny insignificant minority of festival goers who did this. This video suggests that the minority isn't so tiny and definitely not insignificant. 

Obviously I'm sure this comes as no surprise to most of you, but it's absolutely shocked me. 

Please tell me it's not like this anymore? 

They're people. They're never nice.

The tent situation is much better but you will still find litter literally EVERYWHERE during the festival. It's frustrating but at the end of the day, people are partying and under influence and just get a bit lazy with their empty food cartons etc. Even though there are bins only within a few steps wherever you are.

It doesn't take much to just make sure you have an empty carrier bag in your rucksack at the beginning of the day so you can carry messy rubbish in it until you find a bin 😒

Oh well, it's a party at the end of the day. Never going to be spotless. The professional photographs defo have the litter photoshopped out though 🤣. Get ul to the Glasto sign early if you're like me and don't like rubbish ruining your photos haha 

57 minutes ago, Glast0baby said:

I always take everything home and leave the campsite spotless.  The bit I find difficult is the stages when you have empty cartons, etc, and the bins are only on the outskirts of the crowd.  Try my best to create a pile of stuff and take it with me to a bin at the end, but it's harder to do in muddy years.  Any handy tips or tricks ppl have developed for this issue which doesn't involve putting messy rubbish in my clean bag?

Use the Guardian tote bag, if they still do it, to hold empties during sets and drop off at the end. 

Or another bag. I usually use the front of my day sack, which is quite funny when someone's been in and tried to open it only to find empty cans.

4 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

It doesn't take much to just make sure you have an empty carrier bag in your rucksack at the beginning of the day so you can carry messy rubbish in it until you find a bin 😒

Oh well, it's a party at the end of the day. Never going to be spotless. The professional photographs defo have the litter photoshopped out though 🤣. Get ul to the Glasto sign early if you're like me and don't like rubbish ruining your photos haha 

This is exactly what I do If I cannot find a bin. It really is not the difficult. That said 2019 was a big improvement on previous festivals, I hope that trend continues.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Yeah, there were actually complaints that people didn't have enough work.  

There was a flurry of criticism in here at the time. The people who signed up for post festival clean up were effectively on zero hours contracts and the place was left so clean (relatively) that didn’t get the work they expected.

I’ve mentioned it previously but something our group do…

If you’re heading to the bin to get rid of rubbish, try and pick up 3 more bits of litter off the floor on the way. It takes 0 effort, adds 0 time and it makes for a cleaner festival environment for everyone.

• Upvote 4

Just now, vardyvarvar said:

If you’re heading to the bin to get rid of rubbish, try and pick up 3 more bits of litter off the floor on the way. It takes 0 effort, adds 0 time and it makes for a cleaner festival environment for everyone.

Should write that into the pledges 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, vardyvarvar said:

i run a fairly similar pledge with the toilets (though i'm not collecting three other people's full lenor bottles and depositing them, btw!) i will always leave a toilet stall in a better condition than i found it.

Its getting cleaned with tissues, patted dry, im using it, and then its getting cleaned and dried again. Try and time your bowel movements for immediately after mine because it will be a delight. Promise 👍

I totally agree with the concept of simply leaving things in a slightly better state than you found them. The more that get on board, the better it’ll be. This will be a far more productive outcome IMO as convincing the masses of pissed idiots to be decent humans doesn’t work.

I also feel that if the site (or loos) are generally clean, most festival goers won’t want to be the first to make it worse.

When you see 100 cans of beer on the floor, lots will naturally think “meh, what’s one more?”. Whereas if there’s very little litter, lots of bins, and people picking up other people’s litter everywhere we’re introducing a culture around it that benefits everyone.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

i run a fairly similar pledge with the toilets (though i'm not collecting three other people's full lenor bottles and depositing them, btw!) i will always leave a toilet stall in a better condition than i found it.

Its getting cleaned with tissues, patted dry, im using it, and then its getting cleaned and dried again. Try and time your bowel movements for immediately after mine because it will be a delight. Promise 👍

I need to memorize a picture of your face as not to go with my instinct of not going in after a man leaves a stall 🙂