Diana Ross Miming at the Jubilee?! Massive let down for my Sunday!

Rocknrolljedi

Considering she needed help to walk on to the stage I’m not surprised she was lip syncing. Actually I think she was doing the usual thing of singing to a backing track of her singing, recorded Ross fills in for live Ross when  required. Pretty standard stuff for some acts. Especially those who like to move more than sing. You can’t dance and sing at the same time. You either dance to a backing track and lip sync or sing and stand still. Or do what Beyoncé did and just get your backing singers to sing the songs whilst you prance around and occasionally yell ‘hello Glaston-berry’🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not sure if this belongs in the controversial thread or not, but whilst Miss Ross has fantastic taste - she's sung some great songs other people have written for her - I've never rated her either as a singer or a stage presence. Great great songs, but she's never impressed me as a performer.

I’m of a similar opinion.

Anyone seen Declan McKenna before? Rapture is a proper tune, tempted to watch him and stay for Fontaine’s, however if he’s not that good I’ll kick myself for not going to the pyramid. Any info greatly appreciated to try and sort my head out.

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not sure if this belongs in the controversial thread or not, but whilst Miss Ross has fantastic taste - she's sung some great songs other people have written for her - I've never rated her either as a singer or a stage presence. Great great songs, but she's never impressed me as a performer.

The "songs other people have written for her" is such a cheap shot lol. She's hardly some idle vapid pop 90s starlet. The people behind her biggest hits (and some of the biggest, most iconic songs of all time) weren't just "other people" either.

Songwriters like Holland–Dozier–Holland, weren't faceless hired hands. They workedwith Ross,The Supremes and countless other hugely important Motown artists to make music that will be remembered long after Fontaines DC time in the Radio 6 Playlist sun is over. 

21 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Lolz at the folk questioning whether bona fide musical goddess Diana Ross will be singing live (she will be, check any recent show on YouTube) and concluding that, no, I shall watch (checks notes) Fontaines DC instead

Maybe I’m just suffering legend fatigue, I know I should be excited to see her but can’t decide if standing idle for the best part of an hour beforehand due to the size of the crowd is the best way to spend an afternoon after the shite 2 years everyone has had. Fontaine’s are a superb live act, it’s a bastard of a clash. 
See how the day goes I guess 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

The "songs other people have written for her" is such a cheap shot lol. She's hardly some idle vapid pop 90s starlet. The people behind her biggest hits (and some of the biggest, most iconic songs of all time) weren't just "other people" either.

Songwriters like Holland–Dozier–Holland, weren't faceless hired hands. They workedwith Ross,The Supremes and countless other hugely important Motown artists to make music that will be remembered long after Fontaines DC time in the Radio 6 Playlist sun is over. 

I know, it was a cheap shot!

😂

38 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

They were definitely "other people" though. I.e. not her. She has great taste, it's undeniable, not less important than for a DJ. She has made good choices in what to record, and that kind of taste is what's kept her a star for so long.

But for me, she's not very good at singing or performing either. But those songs are really good and I absolutely give her credit for having those tunes in her back catalogue. Everyone agrees that a DJ that plays good records that somebody else made is talented, and so is Diana Ross.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They were definitely "other people" though. I.e. not her. She has great taste, it's undeniable, not less important than for a DJ. She has made good choices in what to record, and that kind of taste is what's kept her a star for so long.

But for me, she's not very good at singing or performing either. But those songs are really good and I absolutely give her credit for having those tunes in her back catalogue. Everyone agrees that a DJ that plays good records that somebody else made is talented, and so is Diana Ross.

Everyone??

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I can think of worse outcomes than a chunk of people swerving this due to the Jubilee, so the crowd is at a Barry Gibb level rather than a Kylie or a Dolly.

agreed! I also think its pretty clear she doesn't always mime if you quickly went on You tube.

5 hours ago, shuttlep said:

Miming should not be allowed

this is my opinion, their job is singing , and I know the show is all part of the act. but singing is first and foremost. If you are going to mime, don't bother turning up 

just put a video on. 

I will forgive Cyrus snr , as that was comedy gold

Yep agree with this

3 hours ago, waterfalls21234 said:

I think Diana Ross miming is the last thing to worry about when your talking about a horde of sheeple paying homage to an octogenarian billionaire who doesn't care less for their cost of living crisis. Hope Glastonbury will be a nice escape from all the jubilee crap 

Will you only be choosing what acts you see across the week based on their income? 

Sheeple? Get a grip. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Will you only be choosing what acts you see across the week based on their income? 

Sheeple? Get a grip. 

Dont think youll find anyone at glasto to rival a head of state pal haha.....does it offend you im opposed to the monarchy or something? you seem sore. gonna just be good to be away from all that shite