Glastonbury Tor - Tuesday Early Evening

Wilfko

Hi All, this year my group have got a cottage booked the Tuesday night about 20mins from site, ive never walked up Glastonbury Tor and thought it would be a great opportunity to do so with the full festival in place and bask in the impending glory!

As far as I can tell, I could just drive to Glastonbury town, park up and walk up the Tor. Are there any considerations past this assumption I need to take into account? Access issues? Parking issues etc?

Parking near to the Tor on lanes etc is near impossible so the best thing is to use one of the carparks in Glastonbury town and walk from there.  Whichever one you use it's probably only a 15 minute walk at most to reach the base of the Tor but nearest car park is Silver Street which is on PayByPhone (the code is 801356).

https://goo.gl/maps/EYKLDC17sNZVfms79

From there it's an easy walk past the Rifleman's Arms to the Chalice Well and the start of the footpath up the Tor.  The path itself is well worn with a few steps at certain points and not too steep or challenging to anyone in reasonable health and fitness.  There is no charge to walk up.

Have a lovely visit 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wilfko said:

Hi All, this year my group have got a cottage booked the Tuesday night about 20mins from site, ive never walked up Glastonbury Tor and thought it would be a great opportunity to do so with the full festival in place and bask in the impending glory!

As far as I can tell, I could just drive to Glastonbury town, park up and walk up the Tor. Are there any considerations past this assumption I need to take into account? Access issues? Parking issues etc?

This year it is also Summer Solstice on the Tuesday.  Expect more than the usual number of punters there for the sunrise on the Tuesday. 

Last year there were a lot of people camping on the Tor.  Almost a mini festival in effect.  This was probably due to the Covid restrictions in place at the time, and no Glastonbury Festival (plus stonehenge was shut).  The council ended up putting in a road with restriction by the Tor and National Trust put in a new fence / hedge after this event.  Parking by the top is now pretty much impossible due to the works following the 2021 event.  https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/glastonbury-tor-turns-illegal-festival-24366495