Secretglasto text alerts

august1

1 hour ago, august1 said:

I thought the account had 40k followers in 2019, might have made that up. 35k now.

That doesn't sound right. I check the analystics every now and then and we don't tend to lose that many, even during the double fallow. And we've gained over 2k this month.

Maybe we used to have 30k? 

There used to be some follower analytics that would tell you, but it looks like Twitter might have removed them.

6 hours ago, offmytrolley said:

There have been a few ways of getting SMS alerts over the years, and two of the main ones are no longer available.

For anyone missing them, see if you used any of these options:

The best way now is to use Zapier, which is a IFTTT competitor:

https://zapier.com/apps/sms/integrations/twitter/16655/send-sms-notifications-with-new-secretglasto-tweets 

Sorry I'm a bear of little brain...how do you sign up to it then?

Edited by clarkete

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

Sorry I'm a bear of little brain...how do you sign up to it then?

You create a free account with Zapier, and create a "zap" between Twitter and SMS that will send a text whenever a Twitter notification is made, which involves giving your number and Twitter account details. Think that's best done on a laptop as I can't see the functionality on my phone. Then, and here is where I can't fully remember specifics, you set up your notification about (not so) SecretGlasto tweets within Twitter. The 2 separate actions are recognised by Zapier who picks up that you've been notified in Twitter and then sends you a text with those contents.

Let my thanks go on record to the SecretGlasto crew who do this work each year. My cousin enjoyed the Libertines gig last time.

Edited by carlosj
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, carlosj said:

You create a free account with Zapier, and create a "zap" between Twitter and SMS that will send a text whenever a Twitter notification is made, which involves giving your number and Twitter account details. Think that's best done on a laptop as I can't see the functionality on my phone. Then, and here is where I can't fully remember specifics, you set up your notification about (not so) SecretGlasto tweets within Twitter. The 2 separate actions are recognised by Zapier who picks up that you've been notified in Twitter and then sends you a text with those contents.

Let my thanks go on record to the SecretGlasto crew who do this work each year. My cousin enjoyed the Libertines gig last time.

I managed to do it on phone. 
Zapier also gave me the option to share the action I’d created, which I think should enable other people to set it up for themselves with one or two clicks rather than the hassle of several steps. 
Try this: https://zapier.com/shared/3bb796af0a37830131ad85d21838b4c49f285b01

• Like 1

Just now, NorwayDave said:

You only need Zapier if you have a dumb phone with you at the festival.

Or if you're trying to conserve battery.

Or if you don't get good data coverage.

Using SMS (via Zapier) is just a more bulletproof option all around.

1 minute ago, NorwayDave said:

You only need Zapier if you have a dumb phone with you at the festival.

If you have a smart phone, just follow @secretglasto on the Twitter app and set "Account notifications" to "All Tweets".

You're right except if you're on a network that has data issues during the festival push notifications don't come through where as SMS tend to. 

Worth having both. I've always been on Three. Can have full signal but zero data for patches. Tends to work well first thing in the morning and then tail off as people wake up and start using the network. With more TikTok and Insta load I suspect it will struggle this year.

1 minute ago, cheesey_toastie said:

You're right except if you're on a network that has data issues during the festival push notifications don't come through where as SMS tend to. 

Worth having both. I've always been on Three. Can have full signal but zero data for patches. Tends to work well first thing in the morning and then tail off as people wake up and start using the network. With more TikTok and Insta load I suspect it will struggle this year.

Good point.

Zapier won't give SMS to international mobiles so I'll just let my fate rest on the local networks, at least I have my pick of them.

34 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Totally agree as I always get the SMS alerts but usually see the Twitter notifications too late due to the network I am on.  Plus, I have a smart watch so get the SMS alerts on my watch.

Edited by The Other Steve

On 6/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, offmytrolley said:

https://zapier.com/apps/sms/integrations/twitter/16655/send-sms-notifications-with-new-secretglasto-tweets is a ready made Zapier setup I think, it's the one that the secretglasto account links to in their Twitter bio. This might be easier than doing it from scratch for some 🙂 

Ah, I'd been thinking that and the methods outlined by @carlosj and @blutarsky were options for me, as I've never bothered signing up for twitter before - if I ever want gig times or something that are published on there I've always been able to see from a browser.

In this case however even to use the ready made template I need a twitter account don't I? 

The text alerts aren't a substitute for that from what I've seen on zapier thus far?

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Ah, I'd been thinking that and the methods outlined by @carlosj and @blutarsky were options for me, as I've never bothered signing up for twitter before - if I ever want gig times or something that are published on there I've always been able to see from a browser.

In this case however even to use the ready made template I need a twitter account don't I? 

The text alerts aren't a substitute for that from what I've seen on zapier thus far?

Yes you would still need a Twitter account.

• Upvote 1