Potential Covid Cancellations

stopwn1981

3 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

I’m genuinely intrigued to know if people will be masking up anywhere, particularly in the context of the factual rise in cases again and fact this variant will infect you even if had before. So it’s topical 

I gave up on masks when I stepped out into Heathrow. This country largely doesn’t bother which - given masks primarily protect others - makes wearing one a bit pointless. 

4 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

I’m genuinely intrigued to know if people will be masking up anywhere, particularly in the context of the factual rise in cases again and fact this variant will infect you even if had before. So it’s topical 

No not at all. I work in front line clinical and still seeing a few COVID patients come in. But if you’re vaccinated fully then risk is low. 

I’m not at all worried about getting COVID/Glastonbury being a super spreader event right now - we all knew that was a possibility when we signed up - but I do wonder how much it’ll affect the lineup and hope we don’t have any major dropouts. Was a bummer at Primavera seeing acts like The Strokes suddenly have to bail because of it, and I’m sure there will at least be some acts across the weekend that have to pull out because of it. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I’m not at all worried about getting COVID/Glastonbury being a super spreader event right now - we all knew that was a possibility when we signed up - but I do wonder how much it’ll affect the lineup and hope we don’t have any major dropouts. Was a bummer at Primavera seeing acts like The Strokes suddenly have to bail because of it, and I’m sure there will at least be some acts across the weekend that have to pull out because of it. 

Assuming artists/bands are choosing to test themselves rather than there being any requirement? If so I wouldn’t be surprised if they just aren’t bothering anymore, even if they are under the weather. With all the touring it’s very likely they’ll pick it up during this summer, and they won’t want to deal with the cancelled events/refunds etc, particularly for their own shows rather than festivals. 

11 minutes ago, st dan said:

Assuming artists/bands are choosing to test themselves rather than there being any requirement? If so I wouldn’t be surprised if they just aren’t bothering anymore, even if they are under the weather. With all the touring it’s very likely they’ll pick it up during this summer, and they won’t want to deal with the cancelled events/refunds etc, particularly for their own shows rather than festivals. 

Well MIck Jagger did test positive with very mild symptoms this week and they cancelled a couple of probably very pricey shows... Not too worried though due to the giant amount of acts that one can be magically entertained with during the festival...

32 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Absolutely no way. 

Live your lives and show your smiles to everyone. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, st dan said:

Maybe, but singing with covid is pretty tough for at least a few days, even when you get it mildly! I do think we'll see some cancellations.  

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Several of the cancellations/postponements at Primavera came from acts playing festivals in the US where testing was a requirement. Given it isn't needed here I reckon it'll be pretty plain-sailing.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

It's more you test the whole band and crew, because even mild symptoms can screw up a singer's voice, or if a band member gets it particularly bad. You can also take precautions if someone who isn't the front-person gets it - distance from them on stage, give them their own dressing room, arrange separate transport for them, etc. 

If a member of the road crew gets it, you can send them home and bring in someone else. So bands are testing mostly to protect the band.

Looking at the number of bands who are in the approximate area but NOT billed for Glastonbury, it feels like there are a LOT of acts (at all levels, across all days) who might be "on the bench" in case of Covid cancellations.  

Harry Styles, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Weezer, The War On Drugs, Dua Lipa, Rag N Bone Man, Jack White, Paolo Nutini, Pixies, Lewis Capaldi, Beck, Alt-J, Michael Kiwanuka, Jamie XX, Keane, Royal Blood, Maneskin, Pearl Jam - all playing nearby in the days around the festival, but NOT playing Glastonbury.   

This doesn't even include some of the big "secret set" rumours like Arcade Fire, The Smile, Chemical Brothers - who presumably could turn into a "billed" act if needed.  Plus there are big acts in early or "smaller than they could carry off" slots (Blossoms, Libertines), who could move around.

I suspect there are a lot of acts they could call on in reserve, if they had late cancellations - more than usual at this time of year!

There's a good chance you're going to catch covid (or something else) at a mass gathering on this scale...

If that concerns you, then you probably need to be questioning your own decision to go... 

As for bands pulling out... It happens all the time, slightest sore throat and folks can't sing. They'd be fools to put themselves on one of the biggest platforms when they're not at their best. So yes, expect cancellations, possibly more than usual even. Show will still go on. 

On 6/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, zahidf said:

The Damned have cancelled a few gigs this week cos of a covid positive. No word on glasto yet. Sensible is a massive ant vaxxer apparently

Their Bath show (Thurs) has now been cancelled. And it's not Captain Sensible anyway who's tested positive and it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference if it was - I think most people have come to realise that, whatever some were saying in 2020, you can test positive with or without the vaccine.

Edited by strummer77