Disability, re: neurological and mental health needs

WhoamI?

I have an ABI, and wanted to share this with you all.  The Access team have informed me that their staff are all trained to understand this system  https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/shop/sunflower-lanyards.html .  You cannot acquire the lanyards or cards on site as far as I know, so must order from the link above and take it to the event yourself.

This looks like a cool improvement to inclusivity too..https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/sensory-calm-space/ .  I cannot wait to see it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, WhoamI? said:

I have an ABI, and wanted to share this with you all.  The Access team have informed me that their staff are all trained to understand this system  https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/shop/sunflower-lanyards.html .  You cannot acquire the lanyards or cards on site as far as I know, so must order from the link above and take it to the event yourself.

This looks like a cool improvement to inclusivity too..https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/sensory-calm-space/ .  I cannot wait to see it.

Thanks for sharing your own condition (I for one learnt a new abbreviation), the significance of the lanyard and the details of the new space. 

Sounds like a welcome addition to ensuring the festival is as inclusive as possible. 

Since people may not have time to look it up, are people not packing and working out conflicts already?

ABI is a kind of brain damage.

For those who are kind, assertive and want a to help, there have been problems reported in the past with some staff at Glastonbury , especially it seems, security staff, not acknowledging attempts by the invisibly disabled to communicate and make special requests.    We are entitled to do this and ask for odd favours under UK law.  The Access team are aware of the law, but they need the id numbers of any individual Security people who are hostile or rude, so they can explain it to them.

For anyone reading this who may need to know where to seek trustworthy help, the Welfare Tent staff are really good (on past experience, that is), Springfield Campsite staff do care about us, they are as busy as they look accommodating people with special mobility needs, but they are kind and capable of allowing a slow, sensitive, or confused person a chance to ask for help.  Just try to go when they do not have a rush on their own campers moving in or out.  Last but not at all least, escape from the main stages, to any space with smaller bars and less rammed crowds, and that is where Glasto people who have a minute will be, some will not have lost their site map, or forgotten what this planet is called, and they can tell you where the nearest Water Point is, or the general direction to the field you left your tent in.  

Thank you from me to all who want to let those of us who are made/ended up a bit different join in.  One day we will make the world a better place...one Glastonbury Festival at a time 😀.   Party on.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, WhoamI? said:

Since people may not have time to look it up, are people not packing and working out conflicts already?

ABI is a kind of brain damage.

For those who are kind, assertive and want a to help, there have been problems reported in the past with some staff at Glastonbury , especially it seems, security staff, not acknowledging attempts by the invisibly disabled to communicate and make special requests.    We are entitled to do this and ask for odd favours under UK law.  The Access team are aware of the law, but they need the id numbers of any individual Security people who are hostile or rude, so they can explain it to them.

For anyone reading this who may need to know where to seek trustworthy help, the Welfare Tent staff are really good (on past experience, that is), Springfield Campsite staff do care about us, they are as busy as they look accommodating people with special mobility needs, but they are kind and capable of allowing a slow, sensitive, or confused person a chance to ask for help.  Just try to go when they do not have a rush on their own campers moving in or out.  Last but not at all least, escape from the main stages, to any space with smaller bars and less rammed crowds, and that is where Glasto people who have a minute will be, some will not have lost their site map, or forgotten what this planet is called, and they can tell you where the nearest Water Point is, or the general direction to the field you left your tent in.  

Thank you from me to all who want to let those of us who are made/ended up a bit different join in.  One day we will make the world a better place...one Glastonbury Festival at a time 😀.   Party on.

Thank you so much for sharing, I did google but the acronym didn’t come up with that. I always aim to try and help anyone I see (have sat with someone a few years ago who became overwhelmed and had a panic attack to give them someone to hold their hand and help them feel a bit better). 

I hope you have a brilliant festival! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Trying to educate myself more, can anyone please share the abbreviation definition? 

Yes, I was cross posting as you asked.  It means Acquired Brain Injury.  TBI is Traumatic Brain Injury.  The umbrella term is "neurologically atypical", and includes autism, I am not autistic, but that is another form of brain-difference perhaps more widely known?  

The most plain English version I can think of is "my brain is different". 

44 minutes ago, WhoamI? said:

Yes, I was cross posting as you asked.  It means Acquired Brain Injury.  TBI is Traumatic Brain Injury.  The umbrella term is "neurologically atypical", and includes autism, I am not autistic, but that is another form of brain-difference perhaps more widely known?  

The most plain English version I can think of is "my brain is different". 

Thank you! 

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That sounds intriguing. Any links to what he is doing?

I found something before by googling Chris Bryant and abi, I then emailed him to offer to help.

4 hours ago, WhoamI? said:

Thank you sharing.. I'm sure there's a lot of people that this information will help. 

20 hours ago, Neil said:

bristol has a rehab centre for that, its pleasant, i spent 3 months there

https://huntercombe.com/centres/frenchay-brain-injury-rehabilitation-centre/

Wow, I assume this means there is at least two of us trying to negotiate that Pilton thing with this condition.  Unless you are a nurse or something?  I do not want to intrude, so if my interest is unwelcome do feel free to ignore me.  

1 hour ago, WhoamI? said:

Wow, I assume this means there is at least two of us trying to negotiate that Pilton thing with this condition.  Unless you are a nurse or something?  I do not want to intrude, so if my interest is unwelcome do feel free to ignore me.  

not a nurse i have an abi.

i went out in my first crowd a few weeks ago, i din't enjoy it, wasnt helped by me being in a wheelchair, so everyone really crowds over me.

Just now, Neil said:

not a nurse i have an abi.

i went out in my first crowd a few weeks ago, i din't enjoy it, wasnt helped by me being in a wheelchair, so everyone really crowds over me.

The wheelchair access was pretty appalling tbh … it made me think a bit … Glastonbury will be so much better with decent access and viewing platforms … and that gig was as heaving as I’d ever been too … 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

The wheelchair access was pretty appalling tbh … it made me think a bit … Glastonbury will be so much better with decent access and viewing platforms … and that gig was as heaving as I’d ever been too … 

it wasnt the access that was a problem, just my place in that crowd. Ill try hard at glasto to get myself some space.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:35 PM, Neil said:

it wasnt the access that was a problem, just my place in that crowd. Ill try hard at glasto to get myself some space.

Do you have access to the Viewing Platforms?  I am afraid they will not allocate any new wrist bands for that now, you would have to already be on the list.  The staff on the gates to those ramps are really strict, which is a good thing for those who need to use the space.  

2 hours ago, WhoamI? said:

Do you have access to the Viewing Platforms?  I am afraid they will not allocate any new wrist bands for that now, you would have to already be on the list.  The staff on the gates to those ramps are really strict, which is a good thing for those who need to use the space.  

I hopefully have acess to the viewing platforms, I've been accepted for the accessible field. 

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

I hopefully have acess to the viewing platforms, I've been accepted for the accessible field. 

That certainly should cover it.  I do not use a wheelchair myself, I am absolutely invisible as disabled without my sunflower id. 

I really hope you can find your space and your fun.    

8 minutes ago, WhoamI? said:

That certainly should cover it.  I do not use a wheelchair myself, I am absolutely invisible as disabled without my sunflower id. 

I really hope you can find your space and your fun.    

Yeah, gonna be very different for me, also my first time out in a busy place.