Chilled / Healthy Glasto

Miss_Boo

Hi all

I'm trying an alternative Glastonbury this year which won't involve too much alcohol or late nights (I know!!)

I'd really like to take advantage of some of the more relaxed / healthy alternatives at Glasto for once.   My questions are:

I'm sure there used to be a 5k Glasto fun run around the site.  Does anyone know if this is happening this year?

I've also never properly been into the Healing Fields.  Does anyone know if you need to book the massages / yoga / workshops etc?  Or can you just turn up?

Are there any areas that do anything like a hot tub / spa experience?   I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this there before...  somewhere to chill out and relax would be amazing.

Any other tips for someone looking to experience a chilled, non-boozy festival, please let me know 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lost Horizons is a Sauna and cafe

Spend some time in the Permaculture gardens

Go to bed early and get up at 3.30am for the sunrise (and to watch something in SE Corner!)

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Thursday, Friday and Saturday the Greenpeace stage starts with Power ballad Yoga at 10am. Not sure if they are still doing it this year but usually on Thursday someone organises a Festival 5km run. 

They do naked yoga at 10am every morning at Lost Horizon, if that's your thing.

There are massage tents in the Healing fields that do walk-ups, but you may have to queue, depending on when you're there.  They tend to be less busy from Friday onwards.

Edited by doogie

40 minutes ago, bexj said:

Lost Horizons is a Sauna and cafe

Spend some time in the Permaculture gardens

Go to bed early and get up at 3.30am for the sunrise (and to watch something in SE Corner!)

Can you provide me with some details about the sauna? When do you book and how likely is it to get a slot etc?

1 minute ago, Wilfko said:

Can you provide me with some details about the sauna? When do you book and how likely is it to get a slot etc?

You don't book the sauna - its available to you as a member of Lost Horizons. It's an enclosed wood-fired sauna and is bloody hot, especially when one of the LH stewards (there's always one in the sauna with everyone) does a towel-swirl. Holy moly!! In terms of getting a slot - I've only ever been pretty early on in the morning and always got in. Most people are nekkid, but it's not mandatory and its a completely judgment-free and wonderful area of the festival.

Ben

1 minute ago, ErnestWorthing said:

I've prompted the guy who organised it previously several times and heard nothing so I think we can assume it's not happening.

Hmm, was honestly prepping for that this year, albeit planning to plod it rather than push a time, possibly with a cider pitstop.

@Superscally any info on this? Think you've done it before right?

If you are up early then Greenpeace have ambient music till 7am which can be great with a morning beverage.

I think booking a massage you can get to them on Wednesday when you get there so you can pick a time over the festival. 

Enjoy your festival. It is great doing it differently, get a different view of it

28 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

You don't book the sauna - its available to you as a member of Lost Horizons. It's an enclosed wood-fired sauna and is bloody hot, especially when one of the LH stewards (there's always one in the sauna with everyone) does a towel-swirl. Holy moly!! In terms of getting a slot - I've only ever been pretty early on in the morning and always got in. Most people are nekkid, but it's not mandatory and its a completely judgment-free and wonderful area of the festival.

Ben

Do you ever go to sleep 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss_Boo said:

Hi all

I'm trying an alternative Glastonbury this year which won't involve too much alcohol or late nights (I know!!)

I'd really like to take advantage of some of the more relaxed / healthy alternatives at Glasto for once.   My questions are:

I'm sure there used to be a 5k Glasto fun run around the site.  Does anyone know if this is happening this year?

I've also never properly been into the Healing Fields.  Does anyone know if you need to book the massages / yoga / workshops etc?  Or can you just turn up?

Are there any areas that do anything like a hot tub / spa experience?   I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this there before...  somewhere to chill out and relax would be amazing.

Any other tips for someone looking to experience a chilled, non-boozy festival, please let me know 😁

You should book something as I found all the slots were taken. You go round the tents to see what treatment is being offered. The tents give privacy for massages, or the head and shoulder ones can be outside.

I'll be checking my clashfinder for space and then booking it on the Wednesday.

There are also things to do and make in the Craft Fields, like spoon carving, pottery, rings etc., some of which is bookable.

I find Green Futures a chilled place to be too.

Healing Fields can actually just be a really nice quiet spot to kick back and enjoy the ambience as it were, even if you don't get any treatments. There's an area split up into different "gardens" based on the four elements, which I really enjoyed spending some time in a while ago.

Check out what's on at the Speaker's Forum or Free University. Went to a really interesting Ruby Wax talk on mindfulness one year.

Smaller stages, particularly in the Green Futures. Places like Toad Hall, Small World, Mandala Stage are lovely places to chill out, although can be quite folk-heavy so not everyone's thing.

Beam at Greenpeace (I think that's what @fred quimbymeans?) is the light and sound sculpture installation with the ambient sounds, haven't checked that out yet but it's on my list.

Some time in The Wood by JPT is great. I'd avoid middle of the day especially if it's hot, but I've been in there about 7pm ish when everyone's starting to hit the big stages and it's really relaxing. Going up onto the platform is cool, and there's a lovely cafe in there as well.

Circus and Cabaret fields are obvious ones to sit and watch the world go by without being OTT.

I'm assuming you'll still be doing music as well, so a massive tip from me for enjoying them slightly differently is to embrace bring a bit further back and out of the crowd.  Massively reduces the stress of a gig for me not having to fight through.

Make sure you've got something you can use as a pillow while you're out and about. Nothing like an afternoon nap, especially somewhere like the Park where you can get out of the way a bit but still enjoy the music.

And because I'm physically incapable of talking about chilling out without mentioning it, the Tiny Tea Tent is my absolute haven. Nothing like stopping for a proper cuppa in a proper mug.

Enjoy!!

1 hour ago, Miss_Boo said:

Thanks all.  Not sure naked yoga is my thing, ha!  Especially not as the festival goes on, all those sweaty bits on show 😄

@The Nal more than happy to pre-book, any idea where I can do this?

You need to do it at the place. Fills up quickly so get down Wednesday early

1 hour ago, lucyginger said:

I am also having a 'fewer-things-ingested-than-usual' type festival, it's an interesting concept but I need to do it! Fancy meeting at the meet? 

Me too! Well, that’s the plan! 😀

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Hmm, was honestly prepping for that this year, albeit planning to plod it rather than push a time, possibly with a cider pitstop.

@Superscally any info on this? Think you've done it before right?

I actually just organised my own. Bumped into em as I was finishing and they were starting...

I'm hoping to do 10k a day while I'm there...