Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

4 minutes ago, Harry Bennett said:

In past years the queueing system has meant that any actual seats booked become a bit irrelevant as you're hearded onto the first train that you get to through the queue (they were running extra trains not on the normal timetable).

But if they're saying there isn't a queueing system this year, they must be doing something different I suppose, but at least they're aware enough of the numbers of people taking that route to the fest that I don't think they'll allow it to disintegrate into anything like a free-for-all. You should be fine, even if you're not in the correct seat on the exact train that you expected....

48 minutes ago, MoonBuggy said:

Did they announce that somewhere? Our seats are still showing in the Trainline app but don't know if that means much... 

No announcement as far as I can tell. We are in a position where we had reserved seats and they've cancelled/moved the service and those are no longer available

2 hours ago, Drfoxxx said:

Yes, I was meant to be on that train. Again had no email saying it was cancelled - called them earlier, her ticket will work on any service that day. 

Thanks. 

We've ended up arranging for her to leave work a day early and drive in with me. Hope you get there OK! 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We were two of them!. Enjoying a drink in Castle Cary knowing we've beaten tne strike. A lot of people who came were crew as we were talking to some on the train, so maybe the DM making a point and exaggerating a little, but there definitely is some dedication going on! I actually had no idea there were crew buses from Castle Cary on the Monday - there were loads waiting.

Though I feel for those who are going to struggle getting there- we're fortunate to have been able to change our plans and just come today instead of tomorrow. My friend has covid and could've technically come Thursday (he reckons based on when he first tested positive) but obviously that option is out for him

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

We were two of them!. Enjoying a drink in Castle Cary knowing we've beaten tne strike. A lot of people who came were crew as we were talking to some on the train, so maybe the DM making a point and exaggerating a little, but there definitely is some dedication going on! I actually had no idea there were crew buses from Castle Cary on the Monday - there were loads waiting.

Oh yeah, like that's ever gonna happen!

Any predictions on what the bus services will be like in London tomorrow?

I'm having to get to Victoria coach station from north London (to get a coach to Norwich because that's the only place I could get a ticket from).

So worried the buses will be packed and I won't be able to even get on one.

1 minute ago, fat_man_joe said:

Any predictions on what the bus services will be like in London tomorrow?

I'm having to get to Victoria coach station from north London (to get a coach to Norwich because that's the only place I could get a ticket from).

So worried the buses will be packed and I won't be able to even get on one.

Same but from south London. I'm allowing more than double the usual journey time...

On 6/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, gazzared said:

Travel information

Due to industrial action, you will experience disruption to your rail journey. 

There will be a special railway timetable in operation across England, Scotland and Wales from Monday 21 to Sunday 26 June (inclusive). This timetable aims to offer the best service possible to you and freight services.

Only around half of Britain’s rail network will be open on strike days with a very limited service running on lines that are open from around 07:30 until 18:30.

Map-showing-open-lines-during-strike-day

Looks a lot better than I thought it would... Still going to cause mayhem, but the fact they specifically mention Glastonbury Festival is a good sign. 

Looks like 'most' of the population have a station within 50 miles of them that has trains running to London, and then onto glasto.

Not everyone though sadly.

Surely if you have a ticket reserved, and the strikes force you to take a longer route, i.e via London, then that's on them, right? 

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I would imagine there won't be much ticket checking going on full stop.

Apart from at Castle Cary. They can be VERY strict there. They will let timings go etc but if the ticket doesn't say castle Cary destination you could be in trouble. They issue grim fines. 

8 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Looks a lot better than I thought it would... Still going to cause mayhem, but the fact they specifically mention Glastonbury Festival is a good sign. 

Looks like 'most' of the population have a station within 50 miles of them that has trains running to London, and then onto glasto.

Not everyone though sadly.

Surely if you have a ticket reserved, and the strikes force you to take a longer route, i.e via London, then that's on them, right? 

Yeah you would've thought tickets would be valid for any journey. The reason some routes aren't available is that they won't want to be moving points to switch between different routes incase the points fail and with the limited signalling technicians available they probably wouldn't be restored until the following day. So they'll lock the points at junctions for a route to minimize failures.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Apart from at Castle Cary. They can be VERY strict there. They will let timings go etc but if the ticket doesn't say castle Cary destination you could be in trouble. They issue grim fines. 

Yup, I actually lost my ticket in 2019 coming into castle carry. Was an utter shit show, pulled me to the side within the massive crowd and all my gear and had me standing around for ages asking why. Showed them my return ticket, showed them my bank statement of me buying the ticket for the right price but they were having none of it and were suggesting that I gave my single to someone else. Eventually they let me go as the station was packed and it was actually holding up people because they had 2 members of staff dedicated to me. I believe it would of been around £140 fine, on the spot (double my ticket price) 

4 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Any thoughts on what time to arrive for the 1018 from Paddington? Will arriving early increase chances of boarding?

Total guess work, but if I were you, I'd be aiming to get there for 9:30 at the latest. Earlier if possible. If the worst comes to the worst, you'll be on the train after if you can't get on.

8 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Any thoughts on what time to arrive for the 1018 from Paddington? Will arriving early increase chances of boarding?

If it's at all like other years, they'll get you on the first train they can, and they probably won't be following any pre-released timetable to CC at all. So get there as early as possible and you could be in Pilton before lunchtime!