Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

10 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

for those in the know on here. What happens to a train that starts at say 23:00 but not due to reach it's final destination till after midnight on the Saturday morning. Does it carry on till it reaches it's destination or is it likely it will just be cancelled. 

will depend if the signal box or roc that controls the area the train is occupying will be closed for the strike before the train is due to arrive at its destination . I dont think it will cause to much problems as not many passenger trains run through the night anyway. I used to signal the holyhead train about 20 years ago and that ran about 03.30 am and arrived it chester about 4.30 am so even that train world still be ok

18 minutes ago, gazzared said:

are you affected ? 😭

Supposed to be getting the train from Portsmouth to Bristol on Tues for my coach on weds. If the strike goes ahead I'll have to get national express Portsmouth > London > Bristol.

Portsmouth isn't important enough to have trains running, but Southampton is? Outrageous!

How are we supposed to stay updated with our rail journeys on the Wednesday. Will the train companies email us? I just keep checking my journey on nationalrail to see that it's still there and listed. It is there but apparently you're now no longer able to buy tickets for it. If I can't get that train then I have no other way of getting to glastonbury, and I can't really afford anything else if there was.

Edited by downtherabbithole

12 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Supposed to be getting the train from Portsmouth to Bristol on Tues for my coach on weds. If the strike goes ahead I'll have to get national express Portsmouth > London > Bristol.

Portsmouth isn't important enough to have trains running, but Southampton is? Outrageous!

oh crap....hopefully network will make an offer and theyll postpone the strikes but Iam annual leave after today for 3 weeks so will only find out via the news like everyone else

from inews

https://inews.co.uk/news/train-strikes-network-rail-new-timetable-rmt-june-1687764

Only around half of Britain’s rail network will be open on strike days with a very limited service running on lines that will only be open from around 7.30am until 6.30pm.

Passengers who must travel should ensure that they can complete their journeys within this window. The last services from London to Edinburgh will depart at 2pm, while the final train to Leeds will leave at just gone 3pm.

Network Rail has published a selection of the last trains to and from some cities across the country:

London – Edinburgh: 14.00
London – Leeds: 15.05
London – Newcastle: 15.43
London – Birmingham: 15.40
London – Manchester: 14.56
London – Liverpool: 15.31
London – Sheffield: 15.31
London – Nottingham: 16.09
London – Bristol: 16.33
London – Brighton: 17.50
London – Norwich: 16.30
London – Southampton: 17.00

Edinburgh – London: 13.30
Leeds – London: 15.45
Newcastle – London: 14.59
Birmingham – London: 15.50
Manchester – London: 14.47
Liverpool – London: 15.47
Sheffield – London: 16.00
Nottingham – London: 16.12
Bristol – London: 16.30
Brighton – London: 17.29
Norwich – London: 16.00
Southampton – London: 16.59

More details of next week’s special timetable will be available from Friday, just a few days before the first walkout is due to take place.

Edited by gazzared

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Southampton docks handle a lot of rail freight.

3 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

They have included glastonbury festival on the railway map so I think they are taking into consideration the demand for trains to the castle cary area

yeah they said theyd try and prioritise the busiest routes

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

Travel information

Due to industrial action, you will experience disruption to your rail journey. 

There will be a special railway timetable in operation across England, Scotland and Wales from Monday 21 to Sunday 26 June (inclusive). This timetable aims to offer the best service possible to you and freight services.

Only around half of Britain’s rail network will be open on strike days with a very limited service running on lines that are open from around 07:30 until 18:30.

Map-showing-open-lines-during-strike-day

So if I’m reading that correctly, trains to Castle Cary from London might be OK if they go via Didcot Parkway, but fucked if they go through Reading. Is that right? 

1 minute ago, kugglaw said:

Anyone else get a message from Trainline saying their train from Paddington to Castle whatever is no longer running?

yeah was meant to be going at 10.18am on wednesday but there seems to be one running at 10.35 so fingers crossed it's not awful, but it deffo seems like a reduced service

23 minutes ago, kalifire said:

So if I’m reading that correctly, trains to Castle Cary from London might be OK if they go via Didcot Parkway, but fucked if they go through Reading. Is that right? 

dont know if this helps

I think youll know for sure on friday when they publish the full train running plan

https://www.gwr.com/strike

Edited by gazzared

10 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

yeah was meant to be going at 10.18am on wednesday but there seems to be one running at 10.35 so fingers crossed it's not awful, but it deffo seems like a reduced service

Mine was meant to be at 12, but Reckon I might risk it and try getting the 10.35

3 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Mine was meant to be at 12, but Reckon I might risk it and try getting the 10.35

yeah there's been nothing saying you cant' get an earlier train, 10.35 i fell could be a free-for-all but like you i'd much rather struggle to get there but get there early

(just not in my seat pls 😂)

4 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

yeah there's been nothing saying you cant' get an earlier train, 10.35 i fell could be a free-for-all but like you i'd much rather struggle to get there but get there early

(just not in my seat pls 😂)

sorry, have bagsied your seat already!