Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

For those asking about peak/off-peak, it looks like we’re probably out of luck: 

Your ticket is valid for the next available Great Western Railway service that's departing from Castle Cary, provided you're still within any relevant Operator and time conditions of your ticket (e.g. Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak).”

Thats for the return half, but that “operator and time conditions” bit seems like it applies across the board, from what I can see. 

2 minutes ago, MoonBuggy said:

For those asking about peak/off-peak, it looks like we’re probably out of luck: 

Your ticket is valid for the next available Great Western Railway service that's departing from Castle Cary, provided you're still within any relevant Operator and time conditions of your ticket (e.g. Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak).”

Thats for the return half, but that “operator and time conditions” bit seems like it applies across the board, from what I can see. 

The return half isn't affected by the strike so that may make a difference?

16 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

The return half isn't affected by the strike so that may make a difference?

Might do! My thinking was that Monday cancellations as a knock-on from the weekend strike was the same rules as Wednesday knock-on from today's strike, but absolutely fair to say that's not certain (as if anything is right now!).

Be interested to hear from those travelling by train today - how busy are they? What's the shuttle queue like? 

Planning to drive but also thinking of ditching the car in Taunton and training in if they are running ok and not completely rammed, to save on car park queueing...

1 minute ago, LaLa77 said:

Be interested to hear from those travelling by train today - how busy are they? What's the shuttle queue like? 

Planning to drive but also thinking of ditching the car in Taunton and training in if they are running ok and not completely rammed, to save on car park queueing...

Not sure that’s sensible tbh …. If they are running you might q 3x … and that’s if you manage a train out of Taunton … it’s a train intersection so will be busy 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not sure that’s sensible tbh …. If they are running you might q 3x … and that’s if you manage a train out of Taunton … it’s a train intersection so will be busy 

Thanks! Wasn't sure how big the train queues are usually, I've always got the coach before but no tickets left this year. I guess sitting in a car with air con and radio is better than standing in a queue out in the sun 🥵

On the Paddington 9:37 to Castle Cary! They put us all in a holding area, checked our tickets then we got sent along to the train platform.

I had a super early train (5am) via Taunton that had been cancelled - got as far as explaining that part and they just let me straight through! Train itself isnt too bad - I walked to the second carriage, there's a couple of spare seats and enough space for everyone's bags. No standing either! Suspect that a lot of people are either delayed on their way in or have cancelled. Mood on the train is pretty festive.

• Upvote 1

It’s about an hour wait in the pre-boarding area based off our timing. But you could easily skip all of that queue if you know where the train is departing from. Currently on Platform 1 for the 12.15 and you could easily walk straight onto the train if you came off the Elizabeth Line as there’s no barriers anywhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, roughbloke said:

any idea if this is for castle Cary or all GWR trains? I’m heading to Bristol rather than CC.

B5AC8CBE-F82D-4275-8D1F-6538315785E8.png

Just CC, no queue for Bristol was on train earlier. Train busy but mainly due to one hour earlier being cancelled. Everyone still had a seat I think.