Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

5 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Still wednesday trains from paddington to castle cary on the wednesday, think the schedule has been moved around a bit

How busy are trains usually to CC on the Wednesday? I've managed to catch Covid 😕 So rethinking my travel plans. Have a Padd-Bristol ticket so could use that and make my way onwards from Bristol, but seems round the houses, unless the CC train/ shuttle queue is hideous enough to warrant the extra journey time!

8 hours ago, woyski said:

Successfully claimed a refund last night for our Wed 05:23 train from Paddington to Bath Spa, knowing it was very likely going to be cancelled anyway. Lost a £10 admin fee but not too fussed. Booked to get coach to Bristol for 3am instead, lift down from Cheltenham all the way down for an early start! Had some gate A trauma in 2019 so do not want a repeat of that...

Sending love and solidarity to both the union, and everyone else still trying to sort out their journeys. 

Was it a refundable ticket then? Mine isn't.... 😞

I have the 14:32 Paddington to Bath Spa on the Wednesday. But they haven't announced these services to definitely be off have they for the Wednesday?

Think I have to claim a refund when the service has officially been cancelled.

19 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Hi guys. 

Say if I'm able to leave the car in Castle cary I've made a few contacts.

Would we be able to use the shuttle that leaves from the train station?

A few people were talking about staying in CC on Tues night & getting the shuttle - on that admittedly tenuous hearsay you should be fine…?!

Hopefully someone has a more definitive answer for you. 🙂

17 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

A few people were talking about staying in CC on Tues night & getting the shuttle - on that admittedly tenuous hearsay you should be fine…?!

I've had a hotel booked tuesday there for a year. Original plan was train tue, shuttle wed. But tonight I've cancelled the train got a refund minus £10 admin.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:36 AM, Barry Fish said:

If teachers went on strike the people it would hurt most is working class people and working class kids.  Join the dots.

Very few people would be supportive as well. 

Could be a frosty ol' atmosphere in the Bazza house this Autumn.

With the country preparing for rail strikes on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday which will see half the network shut down, the biggest teaching union, the National Education Union (NEU), told the Observer that unless it receives a pay offer much closer to inflation by Wednesday, it will be informing education secretary Nadhim Zahawi of its plan to ballot its 450,000 members. The move could lead to strikes in schools in England in the autumn, the union said.

2 hours ago, doobie ninja said:

Was it a refundable ticket then? Mine isn't.... 😞

I have the 14:32 Paddington to Bath Spa on the Wednesday. But they haven't announced these services to definitely be off have they for the Wednesday?

Think I have to claim a refund when the service has officially been cancelled.

I didn't select for it to be refundable, but clicked on the booking on thetrainline app and clicked request refund, which was confirmed pretty immediately via email. 

The revised Wed schedule is out as of this morning (by just checking for train times as if you were booking a ticket), and they have sent emails to people who's were cancelled (got my email today), so if you didn't get an email yours is probably running! In fact, just checked and yes, 14:32 is there 🙂 plus all other's 32 past the hour. Whereas my 05:23 has gone, plus other services that were running multiple times in the hour. 

Edited by woyski

2 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

Hi guys. 

Say if I'm able to leave the car in Castle cary I've made a few contacts.

Would we be able to use the shuttle that leaves from the train station?

2 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Yeah I'm one of them and I've just assumed the shuttle is for ticket holders regardless of whether you arrived on a train or not. 

8 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

Yes I think so to after checking the website.

8 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

Yes I think so to after checking the website.

Officially listed simply as free service - no fare. Nothing's checked either way so you'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

My wife was due to leave on the 5:30pm (ish) train from Paddington on Weds that no longer appears on the journey planner. She hasn't had an email about it being cancelled - she bought it from gwr direct. 

Are we right to assume she can just get on any train? 

Slightly concerned about making my 10am coach in Victoria with the tube not starting up til 8 due to strikes. Went onto National Express website and saw there's a seat left on the 11am coach so I log in, go to my account to change the ticket, select Wednesday, 11am, confirm. All went through fine. Suddenly my account is saying Friday departure. Was eventually able to get it switched back (for some reason at a £2.50 premium? the initial one was free) but fucking hell I didn't need that on a Sunday.

Since the trains don't seem to have seat reservations anymore it sounds like it will be a free for all

From paddington will people know the platform way in advance?

How early would be recommended to arrive for the 1018?

Won't be able to enjoy myself until I know my guys are on this train

1 minute ago, a6l6e6x said:

Since the trains don't seem to have seat reservations anymore it sounds like it will be a free for all

From paddington will people know the platform way in advance?

How early would be recommended to arrive for the 1018?

Won't be able to enjoy myself until I know my guys are on this train

Honestly, as early as possible. Allow for changes, cockups and suddenly finding out that tickets are valid on all trains, not just the one they reserved

I need to get a train to Reading for a 12.30 coach, on what's normally a c.2hr route. I'll be getting on a train at about 7.30 as I'm taking no chances. If I'm there early I'll just find somewhere to drink coffee for 3 hrs.

43 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I would be worried that isn't enough to be honest.  Its going to be madness.

Yeh this is my concern. I feel like there will be people struggling to get on a train at all during the day who would've previously gone on the Tuesday or Thursday

Earliest my guys can get there for the 1018 would be like 830

21 hours ago, gfa said:

How are people getting into London for 6/8am coaches? We're coming from Watford and have managed to get 1 lift but are completely stumped for the other 3 of us.

My coach isn't til 9am Wednesday, but even so my group are having to get a local minicab across to the O2 (we're west London) as the tubes aren't even starting til 8 and that'd be too late. Cab's costing over a ton!

On 6/19/2022 at 9:34 AM, sam1981 said:

My wife was due to leave on the 5:30pm (ish) train from Paddington on Weds that no longer appears on the journey planner. She hasn't had an email about it being cancelled - she bought it from gwr direct. 

Are we right to assume she can just get on any train? 

Yes, I was meant to be on that train. Again had no email saying it was cancelled - called them earlier, her ticket will work on any service that day. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Bennett said:

We have a cab to Paddington to catch the 7.15am train (which we have tickets for) that should arrive at Paddington around 6.20am.

Real nervousness that there will be a mega queue of people and we will miss out on that train. Do we reckon it will just be a complete free for all?

https://twitter.com/ellie__g/status/1538867345019613185

In answer to my own question.