Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

16 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

What's needed is a full on revolution but this short strike specifically targeted for one of the busiest weeks of the year just bums a load of people out.

I think it's actually targeted at one of the quieter weeks. Glastonbury is a big thing for us but a drop in the ocean for rail travel as a whole. It's annoying it's worked out that way but this wasn't targeted at Glastonbury. A July strike once the kids are off school would be much more disruptive. 

4 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

I get your point but in that case the whole country should go on strike. Retail workers, nurses, teachers, railway workers, fast food workers, hospitality workers. So many industries get paid little and have to deal with a lot. What's needed is a full on revolution but this short strike specifically targeted for one of the busiest weeks of the year just bums a load of people out. I can't imagine anyone who is actually f*cked over by these strikes actually supports them. Because living on minimum wage is so terrible now (nowadays earning less than £10 an hour in this country is basically leaving in poverty) it means people who live on that wage look forward to something like Glastonbury like a light in the darkness. Then this strike comes along and messes everything up for a load of people. At the very least they could have chosen another week. Someone not being able to get to work is not the same as getting to a festival people have been dying to go to for the last two or three years. I feel like there is a lot of middle-class elitism in this thread. People who want to be virtuous but not actually affected by the issue at hand. And even if they were, they can afford an alternative which others can't.

No, workers shouldn't HAVE to go on strike to get protections, rights etc, they should just be given as a matter of course! People shouldn't have to strike to not get sacked while businesses make millions/ billions in profits. Workers shouldn't have to strike to get an inflation based wage rise. Workers shouldn't have to strike to be treated fairly in every level of a company from top to bottom. This isn't just the railway, this applies to all jobs! Also, Teachers, Nurses, Docs etc have all already been on strike for similar reasons to the railway.

Strikes are the last resort, and absolutely horrible. But again, the train companies have been training managers in dispatching/ working trains and  preparing for strikes since February, when they could have been trying to stop them, they didn't. 

They have been negotiating with the unions for pure PR this week, without going into details, all that offered was a real time wage cut for a lot of staff (offered Thursday), on the condition of compulsory redundancies. That is no joke and you didn't read that wrong.

All they had to do was guarantee no compulsory redundancies, while negotiating other factors and the strikes would have been pushed back. They didn't.

Lets get rid of this myth that next week is a busy week on the railway, it isn't. It is no busier than an average summer week. The week of strikes, outside of Jan/ Feb, is one of the quietest, not busiest as people seem to think, weeks it could have been held. 8500 go to Castle Cary station by train in the week (not day, week) of Glastonbury. That is around the same number of extra passengers Bath Spa railway station does for a Bath rugby home match in 1 day. There is no football on, no rugby, outside of cricket i believe, there are no massive sporting events. There are very little to no festivals going on out side of Glastonbury (Glastonbury takes all the equipment so most other festivals cant run at the same time). If The strikes were a few weeks later or earlier, they would have caused a much larger disruption. We all think this is a major busy week for the railway because Glastonbury is on, the reality is it isn't. 

Middle class elitism? We are comparing people loosing their jobs, loosing all their income, loosing their livelihood, to people taking a few hours longer to get to a music festival?? I LOVE Glastonbury, it is my favourite place on this planet, but its not more important than peoples lives. With all due respect to you, the only middle class elitism are from the people who would happily let 1000s of people loose their jobs so they could get to a music festival a few hours quicker....

• Upvote 3

What you all seem to be missing is that nobody else at all, anywhere, has a guarantee of no compulsory redundancies, so why do government funded railway workers need it? 

I get the profit and bonus thing, it’s bad, but TOC’s are private businesses, albeit government subsidised. So expecting them to give up everything profit wise is unrealistic and not based in reality.

Before you all jump on, I also work in the rail industry, I see just how inefficient it is in places (granted there are some people that work very hard). I firmly believe it needs to change to be viable long term.  

I very much do not support the strike.

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Honestly, what I think a lot of railworkers aren't getting, is that this has happened to *so* many people over the last two years. Two-thirds of the world's economy shut down, loads of people lost their jobs, even more lost job security for a long time as companies went through the redundancy consultation process (which, is what would happen with the rail industry, you're not just going to get pulling into an office and fired, but you well know that).

I'm not against you, or the unions, good for them and you for fighting the best you can with the tools you have. But comments like that really won't win you public sympathy, if anything it just highlights the fact you've been one of the few groups with job security the past two years. I'm not singling you out either, a similar line has been the main talking point pushed by the unions, and it's really falling on unsympathetic ears from a public of which a good 30-50% have had to deal with that recently. 

The comment wasn't meant to be insulting or anything, so I apologise to anyone who found it so. It was more meant along the lines of, "if you think its not fair if that happened to you, why would it be ok to happen to others."

We do get it, the worlds been messed up, we have been lucky to have job security, I do get that. What i don't get is how people can be ok with paying the insane prices they pay for a train, these companies making 10s of millions upon 10s millions in profits. Bosses being paid out Millions in bonuses. Shareholders getting paid out close to £ a billion. AND then staff being sacked as they dont make enough money? That stinks. 

Voluntary redundancies have been a major thing on the railway throughout the pandemic, 100s - 1000s of jobs have already gone, the thought that the rail industry has been completely protected from redundancies is incorrect. 

"(which, is what would happen with the rail industry, you're not just going to get pulling into an office and fired, but you well know that)". Not enterally sure what you're getting at hear to be honest (sorry, its been a long day!), but if its implying that workers arent getting sacked, then its incorrect. 2500 network rail staff, 600 TFL staff, and ticket office and platform staff throughout the network are under direct threat. The offer on Thursday to the Unions was a wage rise (real time wage cut) with the condition of compulsory redundancies, among other things. If i've got that wrong and you mean we wouldnt just get sacked, then im sure the P&O staff (also rmt) say hi. 

I wish every working person could be able to be in a position to fight for their rights as a worker, we are lucky that we are in that position. With any luck, when the RMT, TSSA, ASLEF win, it will open the doors to other workers from every job to get what they deserve. 

Cider bus Cider? 👍🍺

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Latest offer from this bastard government is a 2% pay rise and no mention of banning compulsory redundancies. Unsurprisingly this has been rejected out of hand and rightly so. 

It was 2%, moving to a 7 day working week (so cutting out sunday O/T, meaning a real time wage cut)

Also had condition attached that basically meant loads of jobs would be lost.

Pure PR so they can say they offered something.

TSSA and ASLEF getting involved too now by the looks of things

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, downtherabbithole said:

I get your point but in that case the whole country should go on strike. Retail workers, nurses, teachers, railway workers, fast food workers, hospitality workers. So many industries get paid little and have to deal with a lot. What's needed is a full on revolution but this short strike specifically targeted for one of the busiest weeks of the year just bums a load of people out. I can't imagine anyone who is actually f*cked over by these strikes actually supports them. Because living on minimum wage is so terrible now (nowadays earning less than £10 an hour in this country is basically living in poverty) it means people who live on that wage look forward to something like Glastonbury like a light in the darkness. Then this strike comes along and messes everything up for a load of people. At the very least they could have chosen another week. Someone not being able to get to work is not the same as getting to a festival people have been dying to go to for the last two or three years. I feel like there is a lot of middle-class elitism in this thread. People who want to be virtuous but not actually affected by the issue at hand. And even if they were, they can afford an alternative which others can't.

You are inconvenienced as its Glastonbury week. There will always be someone inconvenienced for fantastic reasons. Weddings/ holidays/ visiting ill relatives / one off concert etc. It is shite but its done to get the message out not to specifically inconvenience you.

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Latest offer from this bastard government is a 2% pay rise and no mention of banning compulsory redundancies. Unsurprisingly this has been rejected out of hand and rightly so. 

You mean to say a real terms pay cut of 8%, and no guarantee of any pay at all going forward isn't an attractive proposition?! 🙈

They're deluded! Taking taxpayer money whilst forcing people out of jobs absolutely stinks. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

You mean to say a real terms pay cut of 8%, and no guarantee of any pay at all going forward isn't an attractive proposition?! 🙈

They're deluded! Taking taxpayer money whilst forcing people out of jobs absolutely stinks. 

Quite!!!!

At least they’re ‘still talking’ but the latest theory doing the rounds is that the government actually wants this strike to go ahead to try and look ‘strong’ ahead of the by-elections next week. Which says it all about where their priorities lie. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

I'd like to say that sounds ludicrous. But, at a time when the Government have put satirists out of business, I can fully imagine that conversation taking place in the cabinet room. 

What a mess. If they win those by-elections then I really will give up, because this makes turkeys voting for Christmas look sensible by comparison. 

The sooner they make trains automated and guard free the better to be honest. Having to have a human open and close the doors at platforms is ridiculous in 2022 imo. I've taken trains to work the majority of my adult life and the staff are dreadful in most cases.

*Quick edit - Having a high percentage of lines and stops still basically the same as the Victorian era does not help I realise.

Edited by Tardigrade

7 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

I'd like to say that sounds ludicrous. But, at a time when the Government have put satirists out of business, I can fully imagine that conversation taking place in the cabinet room. 

What a mess. If they win those by-elections then I really will give up, because this makes turkeys voting for Christmas look sensible by comparison. 

Yep.

There’s also this - https://inews.co.uk/news/train-strike-chaos-continue-ministers-rail-firms-rmt-1693370 - which goes some way to evidence the theory. 

3 hours ago, rhyscork said:

Too add to this, GWR has said they aim to maintain all timetabled trains between Castle Cary and London Paddington throughout the course of Glastonbury Festival.

I’m certain they’re doing their best in their aiming, but unfortunately I’ve had confirmation that the 1836 from Paddington on Thursday evening has been cancelled 😞 

13 hours ago, Control Shift Delete said:

I’m certain they’re doing their best in their aiming, but unfortunately I’ve had confirmation that the 1836 from Paddington on Thursday evening has been cancelled 😞 

Looks like nothing from Paddington to Castle Cary after 1.30pm on Thurs. So not really keeping the original timetable at all. 

Successfully claimed a refund last night for our Wed 05:23 train from Paddington to Bath Spa, knowing it was very likely going to be cancelled anyway. Lost a £10 admin fee but not too fussed. Booked to get coach to Bristol for 3am instead, lift down from Cheltenham all the way down for an early start! Had some gate A trauma in 2019 so do not want a repeat of that...

Sending love and solidarity to both the union, and everyone else still trying to sort out their journeys. 

Edited by woyski

16 hours ago, rhyscork said:

"(which, is what would happen with the rail industry, you're not just going to get pulling into an office and fired, but you well know that)". Not enterally sure what you're getting at hear to be honest (sorry, its been a long day!), but if its implying that workers arent getting sacked, then its incorrect. 2500 network rail staff, 600 TFL staff, and ticket office and platform staff throughout the network are under direct threat. The offer on Thursday to the Unions was a wage rise (real time wage cut) with the condition of compulsory redundancies, among other things. If i've got that wrong and you mean we wouldnt just get sacked, then im sure the P&O staff (also rmt) say hi.   

I just meant there's a process to be followed if signficant redundancies are paid, including a period of consultation. It's not turning up one day and finding that you're fired. 

P&O used some dodgy reasoning to try and get round that and were actually forced to pay compensation. If the train companies are using similar reasoning then well, your unions are far worse than we all thought!

25 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I just meant there's a process to be followed if signficant redundancies are paid, including a period of consultation. It's not turning up one day and finding that you're fired. 

P&O used some dodgy reasoning to try and get round that and were actually forced to pay compensation. If the train companies are using similar reasoning then well, your unions are far worse than we all thought! 

Network rail want to change the terms of off tracks contracts. They want to take away there works vans and make them use their own vehicles, these work vans transport all the equipment they need to complete their daily jobs , chain saws, climbing safety harness's, ladders, platforms, safety ppe, fencing, concrete etc etc ... You get the idea ? Otherwise they'll lose their jobs .

20 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Does anyone have a direct link to the GWR timetable for Monday? Despite making reference to it, they’ve made it very difficult to find! 

I'm pretty sure you just go by searching the journey - I searched for our journey (Wed) and it has now disappeared from the options, and those that are left have changed to hourly so I'm pretty sure those are the revised ones