Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

4 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Already enquired about the coach ticket, they won't wait for you and you can't transfer the ticket

I'd use buses and aim to get there super early to take into account expected delays

Now, they say this if anyone asks, and I understand why, but honestly I think if you rocked up at the box office on site having missed the coach and got there by other means and explained the situation then they'd get you in.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, billum said:

Tubes in London won't really start running until 8am on the Wednesday because of the tube strike on Tuesday 21st. I'm booked on the coach from the O2 at 9am Wednesday, and will struggle to get there by then (I'm in west London). Can't get there Tuesday and stay over because *everything's* on strike...

Does anyone know if coaches wait for remaining passengers at all? Maybe they would with all this delay going on?

And if not..... and I could find another way to the festival (a mate's car perhaps).... will I be able to get my admission ticket from the box office?

(Just a little panic setting in now...)

Whereabouts in west London? Could the Thames Clipper be an option for Wed morning?

https://www.thamesclippers.com/plan-your-journey/timetable/weekday-eastbound

Edited by ilovelanegan
forgot to quote

7 minutes ago, sjseabass said:

Now, they say this if anyone asks, and I understand why, but honestly I think if you rocked up at the box office on site having missed the coach and got there by other means and explained the situation then they'd get you in.

Not a risk I'd be willing to take

I've had no email to say the train I've booked for 2 of my party will be affected yet but I think the full details are released tomorrow

12 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

I know its an early start, but theres a 2am coach from Cov (swap in Brum) gets you on site for 7.30 thats £50. Always worth checking what the difference with a coach railcard is (I assume you can get one cause you have a train one) cause it shouldn't be massively expensive.

Most rail companies are allowing refunds on tickets bought over the period so hopefully you can get your £70 back, or the outgoing bit at least, and getting BACK from the festival, even though it might be a bit of a pain, probably isnt as time sensitive for you as making sure you get on site! 

If you're really stuck getting back, drop us a DM because we'll be driving back to Brum Monday afternoon although there's a big awning to squeeze your feet around haha

Thanks for the tips and offer of help. That ticket is still showing as £67 for me and I don't think it's worth me buying a coach card cause I rarely use them, plus again I cant afford all that right now. I need the ticket back from the festival so not sure how the refund would work as it was a return ticket I bought. I'll have to look into it. But yeah, just got an email saying my 11.01 train from Reading to Castle Cary is cancelled. Next one is two hours later. But yeah thanks for the offer, appreciate it. Will see how the situation pans out between now and next week and drop you a message depending 👍

39 minutes ago, sjseabass said:

The license requires a certain number of people to arrive by public transport. I wonder if they're actually already at risk of breaking this, given the number of train travellers that will now be driving instead. I doubt there will be the level of flexibility for the occasionally missed coach there usually is.

Hey,
Can someone from UK explains me how we can go from London St Pancras to Reading on the wednesday 22 afternoon ?
We were supposed to take Elisabeth line or the train from Paddington but with the strikes things I'm sorry but I don't get what is on or off on the wednesday.. starting to worry a little bit..

Thanks for your help !

(text copied from The international contingent)

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The license requires a certain number of people to arrive by public transport. I wonder if they're actually already at risk of breaking this, given the number of train travellers that will now be driving instead. I doubt there will be the level of flexibility for the occasionally missed coach there usually is.

Even the most useless of solicitors/lawyers would have a clause written into the licence to negate strikes and other things out of the festivals control.

22 minutes ago, Cseguin said:

Hey,
Can someone from UK explains me how we can go from London St Pancras to Reading on the wednesday 22 afternoon ?
We were supposed to take Elisabeth line or the train from Paddington but with the strikes things I'm sorry but I don't get what is on or off on the wednesday.. starting to worry a little bit..

Thanks for your help !

(text copied from The international contingent)

Wednesday isn't specifically a strike day, so a lot of services will be running, but there's going to be reduced capacity and disruption from the strikes the day before and after. 

You can check national rail schedules on https://www.thetrainline.com/ which seems to be one of the most up to date, but they might not be finalised until tomorrow or Saturday. For now, it looks like you'll still be fine from Paddington - Reading either on GWR (~25 mins as long as you get the fast train) or the Elizabeth line (~60 minutes, more stops along the way). 

Keep checking over the next couple of days to confirm, and expect delays, but broadly still looking OK. 

What's your transport plan from Reading to the festival? 

2 hours ago, MoonBuggy said:

Wednesday isn't specifically a strike day, so a lot of services will be running, but there's going to be reduced capacity and disruption from the strikes the day before and after. 

You can check national rail schedules on https://www.thetrainline.com/ which seems to be one of the most up to date, but they might not be finalised until tomorrow or Saturday. For now, it looks like you'll still be fine from Paddington - Reading either on GWR (~25 mins as long as you get the fast train) or the Elizabeth line (~60 minutes, more stops along the way). 

Keep checking over the next couple of days to confirm, and expect delays, but broadly still looking OK. 

What's your transport plan from Reading to the festival? 

hey thanks for the reply. Looks like we should find a way to go.

We've got coach tickets for the festival from Reading in the thursday moirning.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So this ridiculous strike is going ahead isn't it?

I think the union will be very surprised if they think the public will be on their side

It could still be called off... I've been with network rail for 22 years and the strikes have never gone ahead, always called off the day before but not much help really as everyone will need to plan 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Surely people can work this out and use things like National Express Coaches / Buses / Taxis / Car shares etc...

Bloody hell I would just hike if I had too 😄 

My feet are broken after glasto, could do without them being a mess when I arrive

22 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think the union will be very surprised if they think the public will be on their side

I'm sure as hell on the union's side, even if this is going to fuck up my day. If management didn't want a strike, they should be supporting their staff with pay that lines up with inflation. 

Don't blame the union for demanding fair pay, blame the higher ups putting profits before staff's wellbeing. 

8 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

If I were GFL, I'd be considering opening up B&W Showground for pickup / dropoff what with all the extra busses, cars, taxis etc. that are likely to make Wed look like a return to the '90's as far as road traffic is concerned...

They've gone for a 'not our problem, good luck, up the workers' approach

4 hours ago, downtherabbithole said:

Thanks for the tips and offer of help. That ticket is still showing as £67 for me and I don't think it's worth me buying a coach card cause I rarely use them, plus again I cant afford all that right now. I need the ticket back from the festival so not sure how the refund would work as it was a return ticket I bought. I'll have to look into it. But yeah, just got an email saying my 11.01 train from Reading to Castle Cary is cancelled. Next one is two hours later. But yeah thanks for the offer, appreciate it. Will see how the situation pans out between now and next week and drop you a message depending 👍

I'd offer you a lift down too, but I think Sunday might be a bit TOO early for you 😂. Good luck, what a shitter mate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I think part of the calculation is most people will just work from home and won't feel the impact...  which is kind of ironic because that's why their jobs aren't justified anymore lol

Well I'm sure a public backlash against a union when there is a 80 seat tory majority won't have any consequences.

16 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

With potentially delayed trains I hope they're still running the castle cary shuttle buses from 6am like it says on the site, or at least tell us they aren't beforehand. We're staying there to get in early. 

CC Shuttle running 0600-2315 from Wednesday 22nd utilising 35 buses,according to my notes . From 0700 on Thursday 23rd utilising 31 buses.

Edited by Copperface

GWR pushed back their revised schedule for Wed 22nd from tomorrow to Saturday. Really just want the confirmation/refund for our 05:23 to Bath being cancelled (likely is as it seems that no services are running until after 7am), so that I can go on and book a coach and sit in Bristol at 3am waiting for my mate to pick us up to head to the party

Edited by woyski

24 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Any further news on this today or are we waiting for the revised schedule tomorrow now?

I imagine we will get the news its definitely going ahead today and then wait for the timetable tomorrow. Hopefully this pointless strike wont ruin too many people's Glastonbury, but that feels unlikely