Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

1 hour ago, downtherabbithole said:

thing is not everyone (including myself) can afford that. Even with a railcard I forked out £70 for my ticket to castle cary. Just checking the national express and they are charging £70 one way from where I live to the festival. For me it's either the train or nothing at this stage (hitch-hiking the absolute last ditch attempt).

UP THE WORKERS!

UPDATE!!!

Not sure if this has been said or not yet, haven't read the last few pages

I got sent this today. This is the map or trains during the strike. Purple lines mean the line is open. Grey lines means the line will be shut.

I know there are some Cornwall people in this chat, I asked for you and have been told that there will be NO trains past Plymouth, ie, no trains to Penzance on strike days. The person i asked knows about these things. Doesn't mean things wont change. 

There will be a MAXIMUM of 20% of trains running on strike days (Tues, Thurs, Sat), assuming all goes to plan, which it won't

There will be a MAXIMUM of 60% of trains running on non strike days (Wed, Fri), assuming all goes to plan, which it won't

There IS a meeting tomorrow (Thursday), between relevant parties. If there is nothing by Friday saying otherwise, then the strikes will be going ahead. Hopefully common sense will prevail and all parties come to an agreement. 

Tickets will be VAILD from 1 day before travel, and for 2 days after date of travel. EG a ticket for Wednesday 22nd will be valid from 21st - 24th. This is how it is currently, this will most likely be opened up to the entire week/ strike period. 

STRIKE.jpg

5 hours ago, downtherabbithole said:

travelling from Coventry on the Wednesday. Could maybe post in the ride share thread. It does sound like I'll be able to get there via train, just that it might be so busy that it could take all day to get there. Should be onsite at 2pm but the way things are looking I'm expecting it to be more like evening time

I know its an early start, but theres a 2am coach from Cov (swap in Brum) gets you on site for 7.30 thats £50. Always worth checking what the difference with a coach railcard is (I assume you can get one cause you have a train one) cause it shouldn't be massively expensive.

Most rail companies are allowing refunds on tickets bought over the period so hopefully you can get your £70 back, or the outgoing bit at least, and getting BACK from the festival, even though it might be a bit of a pain, probably isnt as time sensitive for you as making sure you get on site! 

If you're really stuck getting back, drop us a DM because we'll be driving back to Brum Monday afternoon although there's a big awning to squeeze your feet around haha

I know this year is unprecedented, but does anyone have any previous experience of leaving Paddington for Castle Cary around 4-6pm on the weds? 

Due to work commitments my wife is getting the train then and I've read all the horror stories above from previous posters about queues on a normal year - is that morning departures you're referring to? Can we expect it to be a bit quieter by late afternoon, or is that wishful thinking?

46 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

GWR have an amended timetable for strike days at some point today. Then tomorrow there will be an amended timetable for the Wednesday and Friday. 

Do you know if their timetable will be amended on the Monday before the first strike? 

I'm heading from Surrey to Castle Cary via a weird route that was supposed to leave at 5am... Well, turns out even the not striking Southern rail will be running a Sunday schedule on Wednesday, so it'll be an exciting time to re-plan that journey entirely come Saturday... Least I'll get a bit more sleep.

Also another bit of info people might not know:

If you have an Advanced /  Advance ticket (a ticket for one train and one train only), and this train is cancelled, then your ticket is still valid for the next service, plus you get a full refund.

eg. If you are booked on the 10.02 and that gets cancelled, and theres a new train at 10.03, then you get a full refund 

Tubes in London won't really start running until 8am on the Wednesday because of the tube strike on Tuesday 21st. I'm booked on the coach from the O2 at 9am Wednesday, and will struggle to get there by then (I'm in west London). Can't get there Tuesday and stay over because *everything's* on strike...

Does anyone know if coaches wait for remaining passengers at all? Maybe they would with all this delay going on?

And if not..... and I could find another way to the festival (a mate's car perhaps).... will I be able to get my admission ticket from the box office?

(Just a little panic setting in now...)

18 minutes ago, billum said:

Tubes in London won't really start running until 8am on the Wednesday because of the tube strike on Tuesday 21st. I'm booked on the coach from the O2 at 9am Wednesday, and will struggle to get there by then (I'm in west London). Can't get there Tuesday and stay over because *everything's* on strike...

Does anyone know if coaches wait for remaining passengers at all? Maybe they would with all this delay going on?

And if not..... and I could find another way to the festival (a mate's car perhaps).... will I be able to get my admission ticket from the box office?

Already enquired about the coach ticket, they won't wait for you and you can't transfer the ticket

I'd use buses and aim to get there super early to take into account expected delays

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, billum said:

Worst case scenario is you could get a couple of buses to the O2.

If you can get yourself to Waterloo somehow, the 188 goes to the O2 from there.

• Upvote 1

great. You think if they made the effort for one route in the entire country that day, it would be the London to Glastonbury one. Apparently not. 

also the cheek of them saying you can use it on the next train IF your ticket still meets the conditions. They better believe I'll be getting on any train going that direction regardless of conditions after they seem to insist on ruining a weekend people have waited 3 years (3 tough years) for.

train.png

Edited by downtherabbithole
  • Upvote 1