Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

52 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

I've got 2 people on the 1035 from paddington which includes a change at Westbury. Seats reserved from paddington to westbury, free for all westbury to castle cary. Going to be horrific

think i'd get an uber from westbury, do you need to go castle cary for a coach ticket ?

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 17-17-59 Uber Estimate - Get a Price Estimate in Your City Uber.png

I'm trying to get on site for Wednesday morning, but I'm less confident than ever that I'll manage it. At this point, I suspect only getting a taxi from Bristol would do it. I had hoped (and expected, in all honesty) the festival to lay on more coaches and buses to other locations since it looks like fewer people will be able to reach Castle Cary now, but that appears not to be the case.

Just now, FrankieX said:

I'm trying to get on site for Wednesday morning, but I'm less confident than ever that I'll manage it. At this point, I suspect only getting a taxi from Bristol would do it. I had hoped (and expected, in all honesty) the festival to lay on more coaches and buses to other locations since it looks like fewer people will be able to reach Castle Cary now, but that appears not to be the case.

They can only lay on coaches where coaches and drivers are available … unfortunately it’s an issue for some reason ?!!!! 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

They can only lay on coaches where coaches and drivers are available … unfortunately it’s an issue for some reason ?!!!! 

Yes, even my local bus service is apparently short of qualified drivers. I meant in the sense that coaches and drivers already arranged for Castle Cary might well be idle or underused if people can't actually get there.

Just now, FrankieX said:

Yes, even my local bus service is apparently short of qualified drivers. I meant in the sense that coaches and drivers already arranged for Castle Cary might well be idle or underused if people can't actually get there.

Ah yeah fair … I guess those drivers can’t be allocated elsewhere because the strikes have the potential for being cancelled … 

13 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

No ticket collection but with surge charges when everyone has the same idea, this will be more

ah right, its the same price from westbury direct to glastonbury and you can pre book , maybe an idea anyway

Been a few years since I last got the train to the festival and I'm getting a bit nervous about the strike chaos. If we've got seats booked (and it doesn't get cancelled...) will we definitely get onto that train, or do we still have to join the big queue at Paddington and take whatever departure we get? 

Not fussed about space or sitting down, obvs, just want to be on site setting up rather than spending three hours at the station! 

26 minutes ago, MoonBuggy said:

Been a few years since I last got the train to the festival and I'm getting a bit nervous about the strike chaos. If we've got seats booked (and it doesn't get cancelled...) will we definitely get onto that train, or do we still have to join the big queue at Paddington and take whatever departure we get? 

Not fussed about space or sitting down, obvs, just want to be on site setting up rather than spending three hours at the station! 

Even if there wasn't a strike, seat reservations don't guarantee that you'll be able to get on the train. It'll just be 1st come, 1st served. If the train fills up before you get on, they're not going to turf people off.

I haven't tried to get to glasto from Paddington, so I don't know what the queues are like.

Just now, Simsy said:

Even if there wasn't a strike, seat reservations don't guarantee that you'll be able to get on the train. It'll just be 1st come, 1st served. If the train fills up before you get on, they're not going to turf people off.

I haven't tried to get to glasto from Paddington, so I don't know what the queues are like.

Only done it once before but there’s basically a queue made out of metal barriers they put you in, they don't put trains to CLC on the boards, staff just tell you when ones ready. Would assume it would be similar this year (except potentially much much longer)

Yeah, they corral you in and count people on - I wasn't sure if there was priority for people booked on that train or one queue to rule them all!

Pretty sure we walked straight onto our booked train at least once, but that was a while back and it's possible I'm imaging shit. Or that it was blind luck TBH... 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

at this stage I really would be looking at alternative forms of transport for anyone planning on getting a train anywhere next week.

thing is not everyone (including myself) can afford that. Even with a railcard I forked out £70 for my ticket to castle cary. Just checking the national express and they are charging £70 one way from where I live to the festival. For me it's either the train or nothing at this stage (hitch-hiking the absolute last ditch attempt).

How badly disrupted do we figure the trains will be on Monday? Coming down from Edinburgh to Bristol, leaving around 7:00 and arriving for 13:30 which gives me three and a half hours leeway to catch my shuttle to site. Getting steadily more stressed about the whole thing as the days go by 😕

1 hour ago, gazzared said:

think i'd get an uber from westbury, do you need to go castle cary for a coach ticket ?

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 17-17-59 Uber Estimate - Get a Price Estimate in Your City Uber.png

Avoid Uber like the plague and try and get someone to give you a lift via AirTasker instead - they’re probably the safest way to lock in a fee. Uber will inflate costs at the last minute and there won’t be anything you can do about it. Their forecast costs right now are meaningless. 

Edited by kalifire

28 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

thing is not everyone (including myself) can afford that. Even with a railcard I forked out £70 for my ticket to castle cary. Just checking the national express and they are charging £70 one way from where I live to the festival. For me it's either the train or nothing at this stage (hitch-hiking the absolute last ditch attempt).

What’s your needs ? Maybe someone can help ? 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What’s your needs ? Maybe someone can help ? 

travelling from Coventry on the Wednesday. Could maybe post in the ride share thread. It does sound like I'll be able to get there via train, just that it might be so busy that it could take all day to get there. Should be onsite at 2pm but the way things are looking I'm expecting it to be more like evening time

1 minute ago, downtherabbithole said:

travelling from Coventry on the Wednesday. Could maybe post in the ride share thread. It does sound like I'll be able to get there via train, just that it might be so busy that it could take all day to get there. Should be onsite at 2pm but the way things are looking I'm expecting it to be more like evening time

Yep put it on there … and others … just you ? No harm in attempting anything at this stage … ultimately we have no idea what issues it might cause with trafic either 😞